04-20-2012, 01:45 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
Because of the problems with my hands, I have had to trim my straight razor collection. Here is the shave den on a diet. Enjoy.

[Image: IMG_1199.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1204.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1201.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1209.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1200.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1207.jpg]

132 2,614
 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Very nice Obie! I recognize a few of those items. Biggrin

45 16,291
 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Thank you, Phil. Oh, yes, some familiar items.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Great looking nook.

1 3,507
 04-20-2012, 02:36 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
That's a diet Tongue

What did it look like before? That's a great looking nook. I'd like to get my soap cream down to a similarly manageable level.

Is that xpec cream? How do you like it?

What cream is in the crock between the Xpec and MWF? I'm not familiar with it.

7 1,018
 04-20-2012, 02:44 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-20-2012, 02:36 PM)Sully Wrote: That's a diet Tongue

What did it look like before? That's a great looking nook. I'd like to get my soap cream down to a similarly manageable level.

Is that xpec cream? How do you like it?

What cream is in the crock between the Xpec and MWF? I'm not familiar with it.

Hello Sully,
Actually some of the stash is in the open closet to the right. There is not enough room on the counter. I think there are around 20 soaps and creams in the closet, some vintage Gillettes, including another Fatboy and Aristocrat, a few more brushes, barber towels, about 600 DE blades, and a few other things.

The straight razors had climbed to around 50 different models. I had another wooden rack and several metal ones housing them. Since my hands are giving me a lot of trouble, I limit my straight shaving only to the weekends and only to one or two passes with the grain. That's all my hands can handle.

That's why I had to sell most of them. I think I sold about 25 heavy Sheffields alone, which gave me the most trouble. I hated to see the razors sit in the rack unused. Straight razors have feelings, too, you know? I have also trimmed the DE number.

Yes, Xpec, Mitchell's Wool Fat, Martin de Candre, Tabac, Scottish Fine Soaps, Castle Forbes lavender and La Toja Manantiales on the counter. The rest are in the open closet, both creams, soaps and aftershaves.

Oh well, I often escape into my little shaving world.

Stay well,
Obie

132 2,614
 04-20-2012, 02:54 PM
User Info
Wow! Some diet!

It's like the straight ice cream and butter of diets.

Biggrin

Badger

32 6,308
 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Very impressive sir!

45 3,955
 04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Thanks Obie! How do you like the Scottish Fine soap?

7 1,018
 04-20-2012, 03:15 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Sully,
I love Scottish Fine Soaps. It meets all my requirements: luxurious lather, plenty of moisture, good glide, fine cushion, pleasing fragrance, and it leaves the face comfortable after the shave. Occasionally someone will criticize it, but to each his own. I highly recommend it.

132 2,614
 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
Nice nook!

1 223
 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM
User Info
Very nice, Obie. i hope you are well.

75 20,883
 04-20-2012, 06:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If that's being on a diet, then I'm in skid row starvation.Smile

Obie, that is most impressive. You don't live that far from me, leave the front door unlocked and I will come down and releave you of your fatty products.Biggrin

173 23,493
 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-20-2012, 06:18 PM)Johnny Wrote: If that's being on a diet, then I'm in skid row starvation.Smile

Obie, that is most impressive. You don't live that far from me, leave the front door unlocked and I will come down and releave you of your fatty products.Biggrin

Johnny, my dear friend, you are always welcome to my little humble abode — to Schloss Obie. Come for a visit. The coffee is always on.

(04-20-2012, 05:48 PM)celestino Wrote: Very nice, Obie. i hope you are well.

Celestino, my dear friend, all is well here in the province. You, too, I trust. Stay well.

132 2,614
 04-20-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
Obie, what is the scent of th Scottish Fine Soap like? I know it's patchoulli, but is it strong?

32 6,308
 04-20-2012, 10:59 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Lovely den.Smile

15 541
 04-21-2012, 02:36 AM
User Info
Quite a fine assortment you've got there. Wink

0 652
 04-21-2012, 02:37 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-20-2012, 07:59 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Obie, what is the scent of th Scottish Fine Soap like? I know it's patchoulli, but is it strong?

Good morning, Brian,
The fragrance is of a clean and refreshing soap. And it's mild. I smell no patchouli, though, or if there is a note of it in the fragrance, it is faint. I find the fragrance and the soap delightful.
Stay well.

132 2,614
 04-21-2012, 03:19 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(04-20-2012, 02:44 PM)Obie Wrote: The straight razors had climbed to around 50 different models. I had another wooden rack and several metal ones housing them. Since my hands are giving me a lot of trouble, I limit my straight shaving only to the weekends and only to one or two passes with the grain. That's all my hands can handle.

That's why I had to sell most of them. I think I sold about 25 heavy Sheffields alone, which gave me the most trouble. I hated to see the razors sit in the rack unused. Straight razors have feelings, too, you know? I have also trimmed the DE number.

Hi Obie!

Some of the straight razors you preserved seem to be TI's, no?
I can't imagine letting go 25 Sheffield's... That must have been painful.

But anyway, you have a great set. Congratulations.

4 313
 04-21-2012, 04:17 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-21-2012, 03:19 AM)Leon Wrote:
(04-20-2012, 02:44 PM)Obie Wrote: The straight razors had climbed to around 50 different models. I had another wooden rack and several metal ones housing them. Since my hands are giving me a lot of trouble, I limit my straight shaving only to the weekends and only to one or two passes with the grain. That's all my hands can handle.

Hi Obie!

Some of the straight razors you preserved seem to be TI's, no?
I can't imagine letting go 25 Sheffield's... That must have been painful.

But anyway, you have a great set. Congratulations.

Hello Leon,

The Sheffields were beauties. They included Wade & Butcher, Frederick Reynolds, William Greaves, Joseph Rodgers, and so on. Most were honed and restored by Sham into light saber shavers. As much as I loved them, toward the end they gave me the most problems with my hands because of their weight and size. Stropping them was especially a killer.

I kept five Le Grelot: in snake wood, dark buffalo horn, ebony wood, black plastic and white plastic. I have always been fond of the Le Grelot and found them not only good shavers, but also the most comfortable in my hands, especially now.

Some of the hollows should have stayed, and I regret having sold them, but the frustration with my hands clouded my judgement. I have nine razors left. In addition to the five Le Grelot, the small collection includes: Kropp 6/8 round point, Friedr. Herder 13/16 square point, Widerstrahl 6/8 round point, and Rudi Schaaf 6/8 round point. I have a Joseph Rodgers 11/16 French point on sale on another forum. If it does not sell — and I am surprised it has not so far — I'll pull it off and keep it.

I plan to have a set of seven straight for each grandson — I have one on the way, due date early August. I might as well train them early to become gentlemen shavers. So in the coming years I will add five more razors to bring the count to 14. Of course, the five I buy in the future — new, new old stock, or vintage — whether big names or no names, must catch my eye. I have had no names that out-shaved some of the big names. So you never know.

From the about 30 DE razors, I will sell some of them, keeping only the ones I really love. For instances, I have a set each of Gillette Aristocrat, Fatboy and Super Speed Red Tip for each grandson. There are about a dozen Edwin Jaggers. I'm quite fond of the handsome Muhle Stylo butterscotch set with razor, brush and chrome stand. My Muhle "Sophist" in light horn is a dream. The Feather stainless steel is sweet. The Edwin Jagger lined Bulbous is elegant. Those and some of the others will stay. Some of the Edwin Jaggers will go.

There are about 25 brushes, some 30 or 35 soaps and creams, Schwarzweisskeramik and Moss scuttles, among other goodies to which I will introduce my grandsons. As I said, train them early, which I plan to do.

So there you have it. By the way, I rotate everything, all the straights and the DE razors. Sadly, with the straight I can manage only one pass, maximum two, and frequently on the weekends only. Honing and stropping are killers — and I love stropping. By the way, the strop is a Tony Miller 2 1/2 inch, my favorite width for a strop.

Stay well,
Obie

132 2,614