09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have received this brush about 5 days ago. Since then, I have face-lathered 4 times and palm-lathered another 3 times. This is an excellent brush, having good backbone and soft tips (not any scritch IMHO). It provides excellent lather from croaps or hard soaps. The handle is nice-looking and feels good in the hand. No glue bumps that I can detect.

One thing irks me - the shedding problem that this brush has and which has been discussed in this forum. The first palm lather released 10-15 hairs. The second about 6. Face lathering and subsequent palm lathering yield 1-3 hairs being shed. Given the size and density of the knot this is not a quantitatively significant loss. However, my other quality brushes,e.g., Shavemac and Rooney, and even most Simpsons, do not shed at all. Therefore the state of non-shedding is an demonstrable reality that some brushes do not easily achieve.

My latest approach is to comb the brush using a very, very broad comb (i.e., huge spaces between teeth)to accelerate the approach to non-shedding normalcy. It would truly be a pity if the shedding continues as this is an excellent brush that could easily fit into my rotation. I'm not giving up as it is brand new, but I wanted to add to the body of information regarding this brush.

Thanks for listening.

1 744
 09-30-2013, 01:16 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Thanks for sharing this feedback, Ted.

I just took receipt of this brush today, and will be test lathering it later tonight. I'll watch for any unusual shedding ... i.e. more than what is normally expected.

102 17,670
 09-30-2013, 02:04 PM
User Info
Ted, I also had some original shedding with the WSP Manchurian knot, but after the second day, it has all but stopped, now, since having it for 10 days.
I would have to reiterate your sentiments of it being a great knot with plenty of backbone and very soft tips. I hope you continue to enjoy the brush and I believe the shedding should subside, soon. If not, Lee does have a return policy on his brushes, I believe.

75 20,883
 09-30-2013, 03:41 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Ravi: I look forward to reading your feedback.

Celestino: Thanks for the encouragement. The WSP Stubby Manchurian is indeed an excellent knot.

1 744
 09-30-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
Mine is currently awaiting a custom handle. Hope to report on this as well soon!

47 385
 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Preliminary report with my WSP Stubby Manchurian :

Test lather #1 : 10 hairs shed
Test lather #2 : 3 hairs shed

So far this pattern of hair loss is no different from any of my other new brushes, including M&F and Simpson. In fact some of my M&F and Simpson brushes shed 10-20 hairs the first lather and then quickly settled down.

The WSP Manchurian knot appears to be very well constructed ... generously dense, evenly distributed feel, and quite a backbone ... I'm impressed so far ... next stop is the face test! Biggrin

Also, the 'stock' WSP handle won't win any beauty pageants for being unique or distinctive, but I must say it's quite ergonomic in terms of feel and finger/thumb placement/grip.

102 17,670
 09-30-2013, 06:49 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
My first two WSP brushes (old first gen style stubby's) were bad shedders, I'm talking 30+ hairs the first few uses and continued to shed 10-15 every shave for months...I contacted Lee about it and he promptly replaced them. I finally got a "good" one on the 3rd try and it stopped shedding after about a dozen uses. I also purchased a Monarch HMW 3 band that never had shedding issues.

As for big name companies, I also had 2 Simpsons with severe shedding that never stopped and another that had a trickle of leaked/dried resin clumping the hair and oozed out onto the "shoulder" of the handle. Dodgy

So any brush, no matter who makes it, can have problems.

31 1,510
 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
User Info
Any pictures of th this brush? Is it the same horn-like stubby handle?

Thanks y'all.

31 7,914
 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
Brian, I presume that Ted has the same one as Ravi.
Here in post #159: http://shavenook.com/thread-monthly-haul...013?page=8

It is Lee's standard acrylic resin handles. They are really nice handles, but just too short for me.

75 20,883
 09-30-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
Thanks Celestino. I agree, too short for me as well. I haven't pulled the trigger on this knot. Thanks for the reviews gentlemen.

31 7,914
 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Yes, the brush I received has the horn-like stubby handle pictured on the WSP website.

Shedding Update:
Face-lather and shave on October 1 - no hairs shed.

1 744
 10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
User Info
Ted, great news to hear that the shedding has subsided, for now. I can almost assure you that it will from now on.
Enjoy the brush. Smile

75 20,883
 10-01-2013, 03:19 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(09-30-2013, 04:19 PM)Agravic Wrote: Preliminary report with my WSP Stubby Manchurian :

Test lather #1 : 10 hairs shed
Test lather #2 : 3 hairs shed

So far this pattern of hair loss is no different from any of my other new brushes, including M&F and Simpson. In fact some of my M&F and Simpson brushes shed 10-20 hairs the first lather and then quickly settled down.

The WSP Manchurian knot appears to be very well constructed ... generously dense, evenly distributed feel, and quite a backbone ... I'm impressed so far ... next stop is the face test! Biggrin

Also, the 'stock' WSP handle won't win any beauty pageants for being unique or distinctive, but I must say it's quite ergonomic in terms of feel and finger/thumb placement/grip.

Update :

Lather #3 (face lather) : 4 hairs shed

Once again, this is no different from other new brushes I have 'broken in' ...

I have posted my preliminary review of this brush here.

102 17,670
 10-02-2013, 02:46 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Shedding update:

October 2; 5 hairs shed!!! Up from zero last shave.

1 744
 10-02-2013, 07:25 PM
User Info
Interesting updates on this brush! I continue to enjoy mine very much. It certainly is nice when I am shaving daily to have a "zero scritch" brush option in the den. It is second only to my butterscotch M7 2 band in brush indulgence.

1 255
 10-03-2013, 08:32 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Shedding Update for October 3: 2 hairs shed.

1 744
 10-04-2013, 07:09 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Shedding update October 4 - 1 hair shed.

1 744
 10-05-2013, 09:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Lather #4 - 4 hairs shed
Lather #5 - 2
Lather #6 - 0
Lather #7 - 0

I maintain my initial impression that this WSP brush has behaved no differently than any of my other brushes in terms of 'breaking in' and hair loss.

A superb brush overall ... I'm quite pleased.

102 17,670
 10-05-2013, 03:04 PM
User Info
Mine is finally done...I hope to give it a try sometime next week. I'll report back then. Here are a couple pics in the meantime.

[img][Image: WW_WSPM1.jpg]

[Image: WW_WSPM2.jpg]

[Image: WW_WSPM3.jpg]

[Image: WW_WSPM4.jpg]

[Image: WW_WSPM5.jpg]

[Image: WW_WSPMLathe.jpg]

[Image: WW_WSPMLathe2.jpg][/img]

47 385
 10-05-2013, 06:48 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC