10-02-2013, 08:01 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I really don't understand people getting upset with Lee for not working on a corporate timeline. Even for how long it takes him to get back to them on their projects. He's an artist, working on his own. Patience and understanding is what's needed. For most of us it's not like we haven't got other brushes we can use in the meantime and in 6 months, a year, it's not going to matter how long it took to get what you wanted, it's the fact that you have it, it's what you wanted and it's a work of art. Maybe it's because my brother is an artist and Ihave a lot of experience with this kind of thing but it's not like you're ordering a washer from Sears. I plan on getting another from him so that I have one to leave each of my sons when the day comes. It took a long time to complete the process but like I told Lee, I haven't been this excited about a purchase since I bought my first car.

5 2,006
 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I believe it is attributed mostly this generation being spoiled to instant gratification...then they have no patience when they do have to wait.
The upcoming Simpson TSN LE for instance, for a while there some folks were posting every day or two, where is it? where do I order? did I miss it? any news? gimme gimme gimme...jeez just relax and wait, it will be ready when it's ready. Rolleyes

31 1,510
 10-02-2013, 09:58 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
With all that said, doing what you say you will do, when you say you will do it, and communicating 2-ways when there are delays or problems is important too. Isn't it?

Enjoy your brush! They are beauties!!

4 2,376
 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Congratulations on your purchase!
Lee shipped out my first M&F brush aswell two days ago.

5 447
 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Lee's only problem is that he makes promises that he can't keep. Some of us are fine and have learned to accept him for who he is. Others get frustrated when 4 weeks turns into 4 months and understandably so. If Lee would just be more realistic with his self imposed deadlines he would have fewer people frustrated with him, but it may also result in fewer overall orders. Who knows really? I'm fine with the setup and just choose to ignore the banter most of the time.

126 2,375
 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
Well, those are good points I expected all that going in. I made sure to let him know that I knew he has a lot on his plate, that I respected and admired his talent and that however long it took I would be more than flattered to have one of his works of art. So while it was not as quick a turnaround as buying a ready made product from a retailer with a internet site, he usually, not always, at least responded to most of my emails pretty quickly ( I got an answer to my initial email in 4 hours ) it didn't take as long as many have complained about. I always let him know that I wasn't worried if it took a little longer to get back to me and that my focus was on getting a brush from him and I gave him a freehand as to what that would be within very general specifications. He's an artist, they don't like being told exactly what to produce. After all, where's the creativity in that? But again I have a brother who's an artist so that gave me a leg up. My order is small potatoes to his usual billing amount so I was happy he even agreed to do it.
And like I said, it's not like I don't have other brushes to use while waiting for his.

5 2,006
 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM
User Info
Spoiled by instant gratification? Oh my, quite disappointed in the tone lately in regards to M&F brushes and what some members have to say about other members of this board!

I recently waited 6 weeks for an order from Mike's - with no complaints. And by the way, I'm not sure which generation you are referring to, but I expect that it isn't the one I belong to.

I would hope that a more gentlemanly approach is restored on this board!

47 1,112
 10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
User Info
Congrats on your brush!

My only issue with Lee is exactly what Dave said about not being able to keep the promises/deadlines that he sets. I went into getting mine expecting a lengthy process. However, when I'm told that it will ship in a week and doesn't ship for a month and only after I badger him via email for an update, then I get frustrated and choose to send my money elsewhere.

His work on the handles is really nice even though I wasn't a fan of his scritchy Blonde Badger. I look forward to seeing the stunning piece that you receive in a few weeks.

31 7,912
 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM
User Info
Congratulations. I'm planning on contacting Lee for a brush and hope I can succeed in getting one.

37 2,916
 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM
User Info
Congratulations. He makes great brushes.

183 12,002
 10-02-2013, 02:17 PM
User Info
Congratulations! May you enjoy it in good health!

2 5,527
 10-02-2013, 03:39 PM
User Info
What is it about the M & F brushes that make them different from other brushes and why would it take more time to make them? Or does Lee take more orders than he can make in a timely fashion. I guess I just see brush handles as practical things and have yet to see an "artistic" one. All the various companies' brushes seem pretty plain to me.

21 1,472
 10-02-2013, 09:56 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-02-2013, 12:07 PM)david1201 Wrote: Spoiled by instant gratification? Oh my, quite disappointed in the tone lately in regards to M&F brushes and what some members have to say about other members of this board!

I recently waited 6 weeks for an order from Mike's - with no complaints. And by the way, I'm not sure which generation you are referring to, but I expect that it isn't the one I belong to.

I would hope that a more gentlemanly approach is restored on this board!

Good grief, thin skinned are we? I was only referring to some people, not everyone. There are many on the various forums that have absolutely no patience, I've read it time and time again over the last few years I've been in this hobby. Yes, it is true..a large percentage of recent generations are too accustomed to instant gratification and it does lead to impatience and a false sense of entitlement when they are confronted with wait times they're not accustomed to. Having been born in 1975, my generation isn't exactly immune from this either, fortunately I am not afflicted with this and have plenty of patience.

Anyway, my apologies if my opinions offended you or seem "ungentlemanly".

31 1,510
 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
Congrats on your first order with Lee.
I just placed an order for a couple of brushes with him. He had a couple of brushes that I simply had to have. Most of dealing with Lee is timing - and not anything in your control, just pure luck.
I've ordered from him several times and most have been relatively smooth but delivery times have varied greatly. I do understand other members' issues when attempting to order from him. I consider myself lucky and nothing more. It has nothing to do with respecting his artistic quirks, etc...it is simply a matter of luck. So I would not so quickly dismiss other members' complaints.

tiny caveat - because the brush was supposed to be shipped today does not mean that it was.

Enjoy your brush when it arrives. As you mentioned that as long as you get the brush at some point than it's all good - that is a good attitude to have when dealing with Lee.
Lee has yet to disappoint in the quality of his brushes. They are always superb.

19 591
 10-03-2013, 04:01 AM
User Info
Its hardly an apology when you call someone thin skinned....

I have followed most of the discussions on this board regarding disappointing customer service from Lee, and I have yet to see one that I would call whiney about how long it takes for him to ship a brush.

Its quite clear to me and many others that Lee lies about when his brushes will ship in order to close the sale, and continues with this tactic - disappointing because he does make some of the nicest handles out there.

I would agree that there is a fair amount of whining on the various forums about various products being delivered, but that is NOT the case in this situation.

This will be my last response on this thread as it is obviously becoming counter-productive and a distraction from why it was started. Mouser, I apologize for the side discussion in your thread, and hope you enjoy your brush as Lees makes some of the nicest handles I've seen - enjoy your new brush!

(10-02-2013, 09:56 PM)Arcadies Wrote: Good grief, thin skinned are we? I was only referring to some people, not everyone. There are many on the various forums that have absolutely no patience, I've read it time and time again over the last few years I've been in this hobby. Yes, it is true..a large percentage of recent generations are too accustomed to instant gratification and it does lead to impatience and a false sense of entitlement when they are confronted with wait times they're not accustomed to. Having been born in 1975, my generation isn't exactly immune from this either, fortunately I am not afflicted with this and have plenty of patience.

Anyway, my apologies if my opinions offended you or seem "ungentlemanly".

47 1,112
 10-04-2013, 02:54 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
I agree with this nonsense... "Spoiled generation". Someone feels mighty fine about himself. I grew up with the belief that a handshake is a contract and that people are only as good as their word. The problem has nothing to do with the artistic process (we aren't buying commisioned 8'x12' oil paintings...it's a shaving brush). The problem is that this gentleman offers a time line when arranging to buy a brush and comes no where near living up to his word. He gives reports of progress and ship dates...and does not do what he says he will do. He is paid on day one. Some of us have learned to respect others and their words and to others this means little. Do us a favor and explain how a spoiled generation factors in to this? And while you are at it, explain how the artistic process supercedes an agreement, bargain or contract.
I was born in 1970. I suppose the new kids on the block are more "patient".

Sorry for the rant- congrats on your new brush!!

7 321
 10-04-2013, 03:10 PM
User Info
^ I have never paid for a brush in advance from Lee. I always pay before delivery and have never been asked otherwise.

8 2,718
 10-04-2013, 03:15 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Just a friendly reminder to all : please be civil and let's not get too worked up here. We can all 'agree to disagree' ... clearly there are different opinions regarding what is acceptable in terms of business practices and timelines. Let's refrain from further debate about this and stay gentlemanly.

Thanks,

Ravi (Moderator)

102 17,662
 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
  • Csd3
  • Denver, Co
User Info
Lucky man. I would have been less chapped had I not been asked to pay at the time of order.

7 321
 10-05-2013, 03:55 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(10-04-2013, 02:54 PM)Csd3 Wrote: I agree with this nonsense... "Spoiled generation". Someone feels mighty fine about himself. I grew up with the belief that a handshake is a contract and that people are only as good as their word. The problem has nothing to do with the artistic process (we aren't buying commisioned 8'x12' oil paintings...it's a shaving brush). The problem is that this gentleman offers a time line when arranging to buy a brush and comes no where near living up to his word. He gives reports of progress and ship dates...and does not do what he says he will do. He is paid on day one. Some of us have learned to respect others and their words and to others this means little. Do us a favor and explain how a spoiled generation factors in to this? And while you are at it, explain how the artistic process supercedes an agreement, bargain or contract.
I was born in 1970. I suppose the new kids on the block are more "patient".

Sorry for the rant- congrats on your new brush!!
I just love being called the "new " kid on the block. I'm old enough to be your father Luke Smile. by many, many years.
sorry, I was off my meds and grumpy. apologies to all.

5 2,006