10-02-2013, 09:01 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I always had the impression that pre shave oils works the same with creams and soaps , but I have found that this is not always that way , and for me , works better with shaving creams than with shaving soaps.It doesn't matter what pre shave oil I use , even the ones I make , they seem to fully protect my skin when I use creams , and for some reason , not so much when I use shaving soaps , even the ones with lanolin on it.

Have you experienced the same or is it me ?

86 7,123
 10-02-2013, 09:45 PM
User Info
I've had the same experience, Teiste, with some of the oils working a little better before creams (but some oils not really doing much before either); but then, for me, if I don't use an oil at all, soaps generally work better for me than creams do, providing slightly better razor glide. The oils that are effective seem to bring the performance of creams up closer to that of the soaps.

183 12,002
 10-03-2013, 08:26 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Teiste. I use Shave Secret as a PSO and it works the same for me either way. I'm thinking it may be the nature of creams vs. soaps. Even without PSO most creams provide just a little better "glide". Try both W/O any oil and see where that takes you. I've found the oil makes a difference but every now and then I'll shave without it. Just a small difference.

5 1,151
 10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
User Info
With me preshave oils work the same with creams or soaps. The only problems are with soap sticks, they become difficult to load on the face properly.

10 2,062
 10-03-2013, 10:02 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I find a difference to be evident when face lathering. If you are working the lather more while it is on your face you are reducing the amount of oil remaining in contact with your skin once you commence using the razor. For me, face lathering with a cream when using oil gives better performance than face lathering with soap. When bowl lathering there is no noticeable difference. I don't use oil if I am using a shave stick for the same reason John provided.

0 534
 10-03-2013, 11:19 AM
User Info
How interesting. Don't use them myself, but this thought just popped into my head:

"Do they work even better if one uses canned goo?"

I know, heresy, but it got me thinking about the general populace and PSO's.

9 2,988
 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
Using an oil has always confused me. If your first step in your preshave preparation is to wash your face well to get rid of dirt and oils. Then why do you reapply the oil?
You may just be experiencing the hard soaps taking the oils off again while the cleansing ability of the creams may be less effective.
Don't know. Stopped using shave oils.

5 410
 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM
User Info
(10-03-2013, 11:19 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: How interesting. Don't use them myself, but this thought just popped into my head:

"Do they work even better if one uses canned goo?"

I know, heresy, but it got me thinking about the general populace and PSO's.

* Lee, you know, now, you will have to experiment with your idea and provide us with the results, right?Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-03-2013, 10:16 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
Yep creams + oil produce a more improved result than soap + oil.

Two things I think might cause this. For me soaps seem to already provide more glide so the benefits are reduced somewhat.

The second reason might have something to do with soap's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde nature. The hydrophobic personality of the soap binds to the oil while it's hydrophylic side grabs onto the water in your lather. This may be causing the oil to be lifted away from the skin and up into your lather. My suspicion is that this happens less with creams and the oil stays in place, providing a protective layer under the cream rather than mixing with it.

But I could be completely befuddled - stayed up way too late last night and have had not nearly enough caffeine.

0 33
 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-03-2013, 10:02 AM)u2u Wrote: I find a difference to be evident when face lathering. If you are working the lather more while it is on your face you are reducing the amount of oil remaining in contact with your skin once you commence using the razor. For me, face lathering with a cream when using oil gives better performance than face lathering with soap. When bowl lathering there is no noticeable difference. I don't use oil if I am using a shave stick for the same reason John provided.

If I were to write something, this would pretty much be it, word for word.

173 23,488
 10-04-2013, 09:59 AM
User Info
(10-03-2013, 06:19 PM)celestino Wrote: * Lee, you know, now, you will have to experiment with your idea and provide us with the results, right?Biggrin

If I had any canned goo left I'd guinea pig for the sake of knowing, but I'm not going to go out and buy any. Tongue

9 2,988
 10-04-2013, 10:28 AM
User Info
Lee, you don't have any relatives or friends who have any?Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-04-2013, 10:48 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I have a bottle of the much older version of AoS Lemon that works great both ways, but I got some of the newer formulation from Sephora to compare and it wasn't worth a crap. The new oil seemed much less thick...Also have some T&H Oil that works great, too.

I recently tried a little shea butter as a preshave and got great reults, but the scent of the butter sort of ruined the scent of the cream since it was smoky and the cream was light floral...other than that though it was a great shave.

68 1,416
 10-04-2013, 03:41 PM
User Info
(10-04-2013, 10:28 AM)celestino Wrote: Lee, you don't have any relatives or friends who have any?Biggrin

I still don't have any PSO. Tongue

9 2,988
 10-05-2013, 01:41 PM
User Info
The oil works best with me creams.

0 135