10-03-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
Hey guys, I am a National Guardsman. I had a marvelous annual training over the summer and spent 10 days out in the field. It was a lot of fun. As you probably know, the military requires you to be clean shaved while in uniform. Here is my kit that I used out in the field.

Razor: '62 Gillette Slim.
Blade: Personna Lab.
Cream: TBS Maca Root.
Brush: None.
Post: witch hazel, Barbon AS (I used Barbon when we were in the barracks and away from the bugs.)

What do you military guys use? Veterans feel free to post as well.

2 396
 10-03-2013, 11:02 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Razor: No name DE provided by the military
Blade: Gillette blades provided by the military
Soap: anything I liked when in the barracks, when on mission or tactical exercises no soap was allowed (cold water shave anyone?)
Brush: No name boar brush (still have it after 40 years)
Post: some cream to nourish the skin (necessary because when not on mission I needed to shave twice a day to pass inspections and in between during daily tactical exercises you needed to camouflage your face so our skin took quite a beating)

27 1,297
 10-04-2013, 03:18 AM
User Info
Back when I was in boot camp, twenty years ago;
- Gilette Sensor Excel
- Gilette Goo-In-A-Can
- Razor bumps aplenty

When I shave from the GoBag now:
- Dr Bronner's Liquid Peppermint Soap
- Merkur 985CL OC travelrazor
- Lea Shave Stick
- Omega 50014 travel boar
- Krampert's Finest Bay Rum

3 3,580
 10-04-2013, 06:23 AM
User Info
That was a long time ago MBF; more than 40 years.

It had to be some sort of cartridge. Let me go into the time capsule...

This is all I have left from those days. I never bought cartridges before being in the military and I doubt I bought these after my 3 year stint. Clearly, they're dinosaurs of the cartridge world. 2 blades and the head is stationary. Basically it's a DE razor where the entire head gets trashed and the handle reused. In that respect it's similar to todays cart razors.
[Image: DSC04026_zps11658942.jpg]

I don't remember AS, and for foam it was some sort of goop out of a can; of that I'm sure. I can remember being very unhappy with the junk I spread on my face and wondering why I didn't just use shower soap since I never saw the goop as doing anything worthwhile. I may have even done so since money was very tight back then.

32 6,309
 10-04-2013, 07:18 PM
User Info
Hey!

After being both in the guard for many years and active duty now just coming from a deployment I seem to be quite content with the shave of an open comb something-or-other, Astra blades and the brush from the Wal-mart cosmetics section. I believe it's called something like kabiko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2 127
 10-04-2013, 08:29 PM
User Info
* Wow, Brian! That is an interesting looking razor! How were the shaves?Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-04-2013, 11:18 PM
User Info
I don't so much remember the shaves since they were close enough to get for me the "supernumery" spot on guard duty. Supernumery meant I slept in unless one of the other guards fell ill or some such. I mostly remember the terrible canned shave cream from 40+ years ago and to this day, other than gel, I have no respect for the canned goop.

I do vividly remember if I went ATG to make supernumery with that cartridge razor, that a few days later it was good for at least one ingrown. But I hated guard duty even though my unit got the best of the guard duty. So I went ATG to get "out of" guard duty with a superior shave. I was a very strak trooper back then and I did anything (within reason) for the best duty assignment.

I have a few of those unused cartridges left in the pack, including the one in the razor (which went back into the pack), but I'm very reluctant to try even one even though they're SS.

The cartridge slides onto a sort of dovetail on the handle, so the other side of the cartridge is only accessable by removing it, flipping it around and sliding the handle back into the dovetail. It was a ridiculous idea but it was an early evolutionary step in cartridges. After failing with my DE Gillette black handle I was grasping at straws. It did work however. I can't remember how long I used it before moving on. It was a very long time ago.

32 6,309
 10-05-2013, 07:01 PM
User Info
I used a Schick 2 blade cartridge for quite a while, then I could not find the blades anymore and that's when I switched to a disposable Schick 3 blade razor. I didn't switch to a double edge blade and razor combo until a few months ago.

I can remember being out in the wilderness during a training exercise when the temps outside were just a couple of degrees above freezing. We had to shave just the same and if we wanted hot water we had to use our steel pot helmets as buckets to ferry hot water from the heating tanks back to our sleeping area. The distance was so far that the water had time to cool by the time we got back to our tents and a cold water shave was inevitable Dodgy

0 74
 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM
User Info
When I was in the Army it was before I knew any better about shaving. In garrison I used a Bic Sensitive....just hot water, no brush, no gel or cream.

In the field I always took a 2 head battery powered rotary electric. I would probably still do that today. Hey, YOU try wet-shaving in 30 below temps! :-)

1 283
 10-10-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
(10-09-2013, 08:35 PM)regularfella Wrote: When I was in the Army it was before I knew any better about shaving. In garrison I used a Bic Sensitive....just hot water, no brush, no gel or cream.

In the field I always took a 2 head battery powered rotary electric. I would probably still do that today. Hey, YOU try wet-shaving in 30 below temps! :-)
If it was good enough for Major Winters, it's good enough for me. Biggrin

2 396
 10-10-2013, 11:17 PM
User Info
(10-09-2013, 08:35 PM)regularfella Wrote: In the field I always took a 2 head battery powered rotary electric. I would probably still do that today. Hey, YOU try wet-shaving in 30 below temps! :-)

We were not allowed to use electric shavers in the field - what would you do if you ran out of power - but our displeasure of having to shave when it was -30°C and 10m/s wind was somewhat tempered by the fact that the Captain and 2.Lt was out shaving too. Never ask your troops to do something you wont do yourself Wink

3 3,580
 10-11-2013, 05:30 AM
User Info
Hans, that's the way we looked at it as well. All the officers were shaved, so we did too. Or at least I did. Yes, the water in the steel pot was very cold.

That's why I dislike a cold water shave to this day and I will not cold water shave.

32 6,309