10-03-2013, 11:14 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
What an unbelievably close shave I got using a Treet blade and my Gem razor. That combo puts my Fat Tech and Astra blade to shame.

Not sure I'll ever go back to DE shaving after my experience.

WOW!!!

1 239
 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
User Info
Yes, the Flying Wing is a great intro into the amazing lineup of Micromatic razors from GEM. I said similar things after having my first few shaves with a Clog Pruf Micromatic. I can't even tell you when I used a DE last. It's SEs only for me and I welcome you to the sharp side! Biggrin

31 7,914
 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(10-03-2013, 11:51 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Yes, the Flying Wing is a great intro into the amazing lineup of Micromatic razors from GEM. I said similar things after having my first few shaves with a Clog Pruf Micromatic. I can't even tell you when I used a DE last. It's SEs only for me and I welcome you to the sharp side! Biggrin
Thanks! Biggrin

1 239
 10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Well Deco it looks like you may have fallen in with the rest of us L.O.S.E.R.S.. You will find that your ability to shave without irritation will improve vastly. I only have 1 DE still in rotation. A pre war Tech head on a UFO Goliath handle. I have 12 SE's on the stand. I will throw this at you. Treet blades are carbon steel. Dry it well after shaving or it will rust. A very light coat of mineral oil will help too. To alleviate that problem, try a stainless steel blade. Walgreens has them. GEM Personna packaging. Also you can find SS PTFE (Teflon)coated blades at some of the on-line Shave Shops. A search on The Shave Nook will help you find links. REMEMBER whatever blade you use make sure it was made for SHAVING and not scraping paint....Oh yea. I like my Bullet Tip too. Such a bad assed looking razor. I shaved with mine just a few shaves back. BBS as usual !!! HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 10-03-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
Yes the Micromatics are nice razors. The Bullet tip IMO, has a curious blend of seeming mildness while still being a very efficient razor that yields a close shave.

Welcome to the world of SE razors. I continue to use a few DE razors now and then, just for something different. Two DE exceptions. The Muhle '11 and '13 R41s. I really like those razors and use them not so much for something different, but because I love the shave I get from them and the experience.

There's a world of SE razors available and it's not particularly expensive to dabble in it, mostly.

32 6,311
 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
User Info
The Bullet Tip is indeed a great razor.
I highly recommend grabbing a carton of 100 PTFE coated blades from conaught (no affiliation, they just happened to have the best price). Those blades are also known as ''pella'' blades.
Now that you caught the bug, you can't jusr leave it at that can't you?
There are 2 other micromatic models, the 1912 variants, the amazing Ever Ready 1914 and my personal favorite: Gem Jr Lather Catcher.
Most of them can be found for dirt cheap on the boards and on ebay.

IMO, the last good shaver Gillette made was the Open Comb New.
It all went downhill from the Tech onwards. They focused on mild razors thar require no technique and poured millions into marketing budgets (while their competition thought that making a better product is all they needed) and it paid off...

6 808
 10-04-2013, 12:06 PM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
I really like the looks of the Gem Jr Lather Catcher.

As for blades, yep I'm on top of purchasing Pella blades from Conaught. Even have a Kriss Kross strop that will help stretch out my blade life.

1 239
 10-04-2013, 11:23 PM
User Info
(10-04-2013, 10:05 AM)Galhatz Wrote: <snip>
IMO, the last good shaver Gillette made was the Open Comb New.
It all went downhill from the Tech onwards. They focused on mild razors thar require no technique and poured millions into marketing budgets (while their competition thought that making a better product is all they needed) and it paid off...

Some would say Gillette began going downhill after 1918 with the change in cap thickness. I'm among those folks now.

32 6,311
 10-05-2013, 04:51 PM
User Info
(10-03-2013, 11:14 AM)Deco Wrote: What an unbelievably close shave I got using a Treet blade and my Gem razor. That combo puts my Fat Tech and Astra blade to shame.

Not sure I'll ever go back to DE shaving after my experience.

WOW!!!

Pics or it never happened Wink

0 74
 10-06-2013, 08:32 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
This thread got me back on the Micromantics. Shaved with my ClogPruf and my Flying Wing most all week. Open Comb for my next shave. Man I LOVE SE's....lol

5 1,151
 10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
Geezer helped me clean up some of my SE & DE razors this past month and suggested that I start with the Gem Micromatic and Ever Ready. It seems you guys agree.

0 23
 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM
User Info
(10-04-2013, 11:23 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Some would say Gillette began going downhill after 1918 with the change in cap thickness. I'm among those folks now.

I'd have to agree. I only kept two vintage Gillettes. My grandfathers slim adjustable (kept for obvious reasons) and a (1914?) bell-end aristocrat with the thin cap.

(10-07-2013, 03:34 PM)randydance Wrote: Geezer helped me clean up some of my SE & DE razors this past month and suggested that I start with the Gem Micromatic and Ever Ready. It seems you guys agree.

I'd also have to suggest that the G-Bar is a real sleeper. I've never gotten a bad shave from mine!

7 89
 10-09-2013, 08:32 PM
User Info
I'm glad you found out the same thing I did with my Bullet Tip!

1 283
 10-10-2013, 12:33 AM
User Info
I really like my GEM's Bullet Tip. I have made a thread about it a while ago (with photos!). Smile
Take a look at it here.

2 5,532