10-04-2013, 03:51 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Just a slight rant, I shipped a few things out the other day and the price was getting up there, which is no big problem, but today I started tracking one of the shipments. It was to go about 80 miles west of my town, but yet they sent it 150 miles north before they shipped another 150 miles back south to the location. when it could have just went 80 miles one way.

I guess I just feel like if they had a little bit of a better route it wouldn't cost so much.

/end rant

Joshua

5 124
 10-04-2013, 04:34 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
It is an "interesting" system. When I mail a letter across town here in Devine it has to go to San Antonio (40 miles north) and then come back to Devine.

Still pretty darn affordable for what we get.

4 3,549
 10-04-2013, 04:37 AM
User Info
The Post Office is very inefficient and has been for many years. USP and Fed-Ex are much better in handling packages.

149 14,386
 10-04-2013, 05:35 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
Well, I'll have to admit it really is not about the money really. it just seemed a bit quirky the way it routed, i could see if there wasn't a main hub between the two locations but there is. just seemed odd!

5 124
 10-04-2013, 05:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, even UPS and FedEx have their strange routing. A friend of mine in Minneapolis shipped me a package via FedEx. Now Minneapolis is a 3 hour drive west of me. The package first went to Memphis, TN, then to Chicago, then to Appleton, WI, then to me. Now granted it only took two days for this to happen, but that is a long route to get a package that is just 3 hours away.

They all have their routing points and most of the time I don't understand their way of thinking. But it seems to work so I just grin and bear it.

189 26,354
 10-04-2013, 07:58 AM
User Info
(10-04-2013, 05:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, even UPS and FedEx have their strange routing. A friend of mine in Minneapolis shipped me a package via FedEx. Now Minneapolis is a 3 hour drive west of me. The package first went to Memphis, TN, then to Chicago, then to Appleton, WI, then to me. Now granted it only took two days for this to happen, but that is a long route to get a package that is just 3 hours away.

They all have their routing points and most of the time I don't understand their way of thinking. But it seems to work so I just grin and bear it.

Memphis is the main hub for Fed-Ex since its existence. All traffic goes in and out of Memphis. The Post Office uses sorting facilities which some time do not make sense regarding their location.

I say bring back the Pony Express.

149 14,386
 10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
  • Johnny
  • Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(10-04-2013, 07:58 AM)slantman Wrote:
(10-04-2013, 05:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, even UPS and FedEx have their strange routing. A friend of mine in Minneapolis shipped me a package via FedEx. Now Minneapolis is a 3 hour drive west of me. The package first went to Memphis, TN, then to Chicago, then to Appleton, WI, then to me. Now granted it only took two days for this to happen, but that is a long route to get a package that is just 3 hours away.

Memphis is the main hub for Fed-Ex since its existence. All traffic goes in and out of Memphis. The Post Office uses sorting facilities which some time do not make sense regarding their location.

I say bring back the Pony Express.

I thought they had. Biggrin

189 26,354
 10-04-2013, 08:40 AM
User Info
I wrote about this a year ago with our tax return, but make sure to write both the "to" and "return" addresses legibly. I don't know if USPS uses it for all tracking, but for Priority Mail, they actually scan the delivery and return addresses.

Our tax return was supposed to go to our preparer about two towns away; because it was a thick envelope, it had to go Priority. So it went to Boston, which was out of the way. And then it went to New York. Then to Chicago. Then to New York again. Then to Boston. Then it just sat there. The problem was that it couldn't read our return zip code and thought it was supposed to go to Finland, but kept getting stuck. It was a lot of fun for us!

88 1,538
 10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
User Info
USPS still seems like a relative bargain. I am getting a $69 package from Czechoslovakia, for which shipping with insurance is costing $24.

258 14,790
 10-04-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
I think USPS is, for the most part, very good. I have shipped and received over 200 or more packages to and from the US and I have never had any go missing! Smile

93 21,373
 10-04-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
If you have a lot of packages going from Point A to Point B, and a lot from Point B to Point C, but very few going from Point A to Point C, the it makes perfect sense to take the longer route so it can hitch a ride with other packages.

USPS, FedEx, UPS and the like are most efficient when their trucks are full. Partial loads take more gas and more manpower per package.

0 836
 10-04-2013, 01:29 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
While all of the big 3 can screw up from time to time, for me USPS Priority is by far the best. The worst? UPS, easily.

Having said that, the worst is whichever company you happen to be having trouble with at the time. Rolleyes

2 5,000
 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Shipping routes can be strange ...

My biggest shipping gripe this year is how much international shipping prices have gone up ... Angry

119 19,681
 10-05-2013, 04:45 AM
User Info
The USPS has really upped its game lately, I haven't thought about UPS or FedEx for months...

1 131
 10-05-2013, 08:34 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(10-05-2013, 04:45 AM)Loudoun Wrote: The USPS has really upped its game lately, I haven't thought about UPS or FedEx for months...

Agreed. The service is definitely much improved and easily competes with the others.

2 5,000
 10-05-2013, 11:59 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
I really named the thread wrong, should have been about the routing. for same state situations!

5 124
 10-05-2013, 12:29 PM
User Info
(10-04-2013, 01:29 PM)freddy Wrote: While all of the big 3 can screw up from time to time, for me USPS Priority is by far the best. The worst? UPS, easily.

Having said that, the worst is whichever company you happen to be having trouble with at the time. Rolleyes
I totally agree. USPS is the best, even first class comes with tracking now and can be faster than priority sometimes. The only people I've had trouble with is UPS. Fed Ex is good, but expensive and slow unless you spend a lot of money for shipping.

What I don't understand are online companies that use FedEx Home that takes many days shipping all over the place with only the occasional scans and then finally going to USPS to be delivered. It costs more and takes more time than just using First Class or Priority Mail. Are the companies getting some special deal to ship that way?

21 1,948
 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM
User Info
(10-04-2013, 04:37 AM)slantman Wrote: The Post Office is very inefficient and has been for many years. USP and Fed-Ex are much better in handling packages.

Sometimes Jerry. I wanted to send a friend in Australia 100 blades. UPS wanted $105 US. And that was the cheapest.A47 I took them to the post office and for $5 they went half way around the world.

2 546
 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(10-07-2013, 04:01 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote:
(10-04-2013, 04:37 AM)slantman Wrote: The Post Office is very inefficient and has been for many years. USP and Fed-Ex are much better in handling packages.

Sometimes Jerry. I wanted to send a friend in Australia 100 blades. UPS wanted $105 US. And that was the cheapest.A47 I took them to the post office and for $5 they went half way around the world.

Bob, I agree with your thoughts. As has been said here, I think our post office has really upped its game. Is it perfect? Of course not. However, with simple letters seemingly falling by the wayside (sadly) the USPS has truly improved on moving both letters and packages and doing it at affordable prices.

2 5,000
 10-08-2013, 06:24 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have been on hold with USPS for the past 45 minutes and at this moment, I am not a fan. USPS does a very good job with domestic shipments but their phone tree is terrible! 90% of my shipping problems with USPS pertain to international shipments.

54 22,195