10-04-2013, 10:27 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Earlier this week one of my oldest friends passed on.He was a cat.A domestic longhair gray in color.He was approximately 25 years old,thats about 117 in cat time.Him and his littermates were abandoned under my home by the mother.Homes were found for most of the others.I kept the gray and an orange one who later disappeared.

He was a friendly cat,which lead to his name...Whore-because he did not care whose lap he was on.This despite some one shooting him.(he had birdshot in him permanently and a crooked leg)He was with me for years,through many room mates and girlfriends.For a while he was just about the only being who gave a dammn about me.He gave his seal of approval to the lady who became my wife.

He was a smart cat.He would tell me time to go to bed when I lost track of time.I worked night shift and would often stay up til 1 pm before I went to bed.If I was surfin or gaming he would tell me when it was bed time by meowing at me and walking to the bed room while repeatedly looking over his shoulder to assure I was following.The first night my future wife stayed over we set the alarm for 630 am for her work.The next time she stayed over was not a work day but at 630 Mr W was standing on her chest and tapping her cheek with a paw.He never did that for other girls who stayed there.

He stayed with me through two moves and was the boss of each house we moved into.
In the last few years he had gotten very sedentary and cantankerous.But he still ruled the house.The other 5 cats and the 2 dogs never bothered him,not even our new Jack Russell puppy who gave him a wide berth after their initial encounter.

In the last week he was acting odd going into closets to sleep,not wanting to come out, growling at people who disturbed him.He kept a good appetite and he had developed a love of sandwich type ham.Sunday night he was in a closet and did not want to come out.I took him out as he had not eaten and gave him some bbq rib meat and a dish of water.He ate it all and drank quite a bit of water.He was acting a bit cold so I wrapped him in a towel and held him against my chest for the rest of the night.I was rewarded by a steady purr.When I went to bed I put him in a stack of towels.

In the morning when my wife got up she put a robe over him.I got up an hour later and was getting ready to go to a staff meeting.I walked up front and my friend was acting as if he was hot so I moved some of the cover off him.I scratched his head and talked to him.I then left the room and came back and my boy was trying to get off the couch.So I set him on the floor while talking to him.He suddenly convulsed and frothed at the mouth.I went and grabbed a cloth to wash his face and grabbed my cell phone and called work to tell them I would not be able to make the meeting.I came back into the room and and was talking to him and started to wipe his face when he suddenly stretched out and stopped moving.

I cleaned him up and called my wife who came home from work.I buried him in the backyard next to our black lab mix(they were buddies) who died last year.I put his food bowl and a package of ham in with him.I was a wreck the rest of the day.

I still look for him as I walk through the house.

I miss my friend/my cat.He was a better person than most people.

Tears are flowing down my face as I type this.

R.I.P.
Mr. Whore

0 274
 10-05-2013, 05:22 AM
User Info
My deepest sympathy goes out to you. I had a cat for over 18 years that was just like a person. He went everywhere around the house I did when I was at home. He was as much a part of my life as a person. He passed in my arms. Your post brings back many memories; I'll always miss him.

2 62
 10-05-2013, 08:48 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. Your very tender eulogy is one of the finest I have ever seen or heard. Although I am highly allergic to cats they remain my all-time favorite animal and the thoughts you have posted here remind me why. Thank you for sharing them.

2 11,211
 10-05-2013, 09:08 AM
User Info
I'm sorry for your loss. Beloved pets are true milestones of our lives.

183 12,002
 10-05-2013, 12:08 PM
User Info
What a beautiful story and I am sorry for your loss.
Be well.

75 20,883
 10-05-2013, 02:58 PM
User Info
I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Our animal friends enrich our lives so much.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you at this time.

37 1,731
 10-05-2013, 03:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Thank you for sharing...I am really sorry for your loss.

45 16,290
 10-05-2013, 03:15 PM
User Info
Very sorry to read of the passing of your good friend.

R.I.P. Mr. Whore

14 210
 10-05-2013, 04:29 PM
User Info
My Deepest Sympathy.
No matter how rotten the day has been, the animals that share our lives are always there to make it all better.

1 345
 10-05-2013, 08:16 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Losing a four legged fury friend is one of life's really hard experiences.

Enjoy the memories. Sounds like there's lot.

My sympathies,

MaxP

47 1,378
 10-05-2013, 08:31 PM
User Info
Your beautiful eulogy has made me revisit the passing of my trusted friends. Unrequited love is what sets animals apart from humans in most cases. Thank you again.

9 197
 10-06-2013, 04:37 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Very sorry for your loss. The attachment we get with our pets is incredible. I know the exact feeling as I lost my cat last year.

100 12,438
 10-06-2013, 03:48 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Sorry for the loss of your ol' buddy....loyal friends like that are hard to come by
and few and far between.

0 1,291
 10-06-2013, 04:58 PM
User Info
As someone that has probably been closer to most of my 4 legged friends than 2 legged, my sincere condolences.

2 546
 10-06-2013, 05:49 PM
User Info
Some animals train their owners. I know from experience.
It sounds like your cat had a good life.
My condolences on your loss.

1 2,827
 10-07-2013, 05:11 PM
  • urrlord
  • central georgia usa
User Info
Thank you all.

I still look for him as I walk through my house.Right now I have a little calico girl across my lap.That helps somewhat.

thanks once again

0 274
 10-07-2013, 05:30 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(10-07-2013, 05:11 PM)urrlord Wrote: Thank you all.

I still look for him as I walk through my house.Right now I have a little calico girl across my lap.That helps somewhat.

thanks once again

Is there any chance of pictures of Whore and your little Calico? By the way, what's her name?

Once again, my thoughts are with you.

2 11,211
 10-08-2013, 04:52 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
My sympathies go out to you and your wife. It is so hard to lose a pet that has indeed become a close and loved family member.

Loved his name by the way!

4 2,376