Poll: What "eternity" stainless steel razor(s) should I buy?
This poll is closed.
32.14% of votes
Tradere All Stainless Solid Bar Razor
3.57% of votes
iKon 5 Piece Set (OSS, OC, and SB baseplates)
25.00% of votes
Above The Tie Atlas 5 Piece Set (M1, R1, and H1 baseplates)
7.14% of votes
Tradere SB + Tradere OC
7.14% of votes
ATT Atlas 5 Piece + Weber
0% of votes
Above The Tie 7 Piece Set (M1, R1, and H1 baseplates)
7.14% of votes
ATT Atlas 5 Piece + Tradere SB
3.57% of votes
ATT Atlas 5 Piece + iKon 5
0% of votes
Other (please comment)
14.29% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 10-05-2013, 10:48 AM
User Info
I'm wanting to buy one double edge razor (or razor set, or maybe two razors) that will be both useful and sentimental for the rest of my life (and hopefully after as well). I'm 43, and I'll likely live into my 80s or perhaps longer. I've been DE shaving for less than 9 months, and currently I favor very mild DE razors.

Of the razors I own, I slightly prefer my RiMei/Sodial head over my EJ89 head. Both of which I much prefer over my Merkur 37C Slant and RazoRock Little Bastone OC and RazoRock Slab heads. I don't cut myself with any of my razors, and I usually don't get weepers, but even the mild razors seem to give me some razor burn despite careful attention to angle and pressure and avoiding ATG strokes. That said, I suspect that my shaving skill will improve, and certainly my skin and beard will change over the decades to come. So while I may love a mild razor today ... it is possible that I may prefer an aggressive razor in 20 years.

I love the feel of my stainless steel RazoRock Slab handle. I shave with oil, so a good grip is very helpful. I also think I'm more aware of the razor's pressure and angle with a heavy handle.

I favor stainless steel as it should be less likely to rust or break, and if it does rust or scratch it should be possible to clean or buff out. I would prefer that the stainless steel not be plated with chrome or the like ... since this would likely hinder long term maintenance of the razor. I prefer the flexibility of a three piece razor, and I want something that is easy to keep clean. Additionally I would slightly prefer something made in the USA (although I will bend on this for a better shave).

So, what new "eternity" stainless steel razor(s) should I buy?
(ordered by price)

1. Weber Polished Head
2. Tradere All Stainless Solid Bar Razor
3. iKon 5 Piece Set (OSS, OC, and SB baseplates)
4. Above The Tie Atlas 5 Piece Set (M1, R1, and H1 baseplates)
5. Tradere SB + Tradere OC
6. ATT Atlas 5 Piece + Weber
7. Above The Tie 7 Piece Set (M1, R1, and H1 baseplates)
8. ATT Atlas 5 Piece + Tradere SB
9. ATT Atlas 5 Piece + iKon 5
10. Other (please comment)

0 6
 10-05-2013, 11:31 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Welcome to The Shave Nook!

It's a challenging question posed here, as all the razors listed are distinctive in their own way.

I suggest you start with the Weber and work your way from there ...

102 17,573
 10-05-2013, 12:15 PM
User Info
I would have to agree with Ravi to start with the Weber as it is the less expensive and it may work out well for you.
Good luck.

74 20,788
 10-05-2013, 03:04 PM
User Info
The Atlas razor is the best especially with the H plate.

98 12,359
 10-05-2013, 04:06 PM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
Or go with the iKon set, a little bit of everything!

23 536
 10-05-2013, 04:14 PM
User Info
Go with the Weber Bulldog and pick up a 2013 R41 From Connaught. Use them both on the Bulldog handle and choose depending on your mood.

18 559
 10-05-2013, 06:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I love my Weber. You can't go wrong with that.

45 3,955
 10-05-2013, 10:35 PM
User Info
I own the Weber and haven't tried the others. I would love to check out the Tradere or Ikon, but haven't been able to convince myself to spend that much.

The Weber is my daily shaver and I love it! I agree that it's a great razor to start with. It's affordable and seems to get the most consistent reviews. If you don't like it, you could easily sell it and try another. It's always tough to be sure that you will like a certain razor until you try it.

10 96
 10-06-2013, 06:05 AM
User Info
Thanks to all for your continued responses! I'm open to buying more razors in the future, but I would like the one (or two)razors that I purchase for my anniversary to at least still be in my rotation for the next 40ish years. I want it to continue to be used and look nice for decades to come. This goal makes me favor razor's with multiple base plates for their ability to adapt to any changing needs or preferences. Thoughts?

0 6
 10-06-2013, 07:23 AM
User Info
I would recommend buying the Above The Tie M1 and the Ikon Slant and selling the one you don't like. Both are smooth shavers, but more efficient/closer shaving than a DE89 imho.

I would add that the ATT R1 plate is rather aggressive - it was fun to use occasionally, but not a head that I would want to shave with everyday.

47 1,081
 10-06-2013, 09:09 AM
User Info
Judging by what you have enjoyed so far, I would favor the Tradere SB and Weber. Tradere is completely machined so I suppose more durable over decades of use, but I think the Weber should do fine, as well. If you end up wanting something more aggressive, you could purchase the Tradere OC for variety and have a nice Tradere duo. You can't really go wrong...and congratulations on the anniversary!

47 1,270
 10-06-2013, 09:12 AM
  • dcc
  • Polsilver Vendor
  • EU
User Info
Go with Weber,cheap SS but well made.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

31 424
 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM
User Info
(10-06-2013, 09:09 AM)kentclark Wrote: You can't really go wrong...and congratulations on the anniversary!

Yes, I'm sure I'd be happy with any of these razors, and thank you! :-)

0 6
 10-06-2013, 02:17 PM
User Info
The Ikon models seem to get many poor quality reviews and don't like it reviews. I seldom see any bad comment on the Weber or the others.

0 25
 10-06-2013, 02:52 PM
User Info
You won't have to worry about any razor rusting, as most are made of brass/pot metal. However, given that you want an SS razor, I'd suggest the Weber over the rest on your list.

The ATT razors are nice too. Go with the M1, if you get that brand.

Two razors that are not on your list that are worth a mention are the Feather AS-D2, and the Pils.

The AS-D2 is a superb, mild, efficient razor. The Pils is more aggressive, but it is absolutely beautiful. It still has that issue with the blades rusting in the head, but that's minor.

I would not recommend the iKon Slant, as I found it to be an unimpressive shaver, though it is pretty. However, others like it, and you may be one of those. The dual-head iKons are more of a gimmick than a useful feature, and I didn't care for any of them. However, the pure OC iKon Deluxe is pretty good.

37 1,731
 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I honestly have a very hard time separating the actual differences between the companies mentioned here.

Weber: Ultra consistent quality at a great price...limited razor options/designs.
IKON: Great quality when they're on, questionable sometimes-it seems that many of their designs need a run or two to lock down quality control. medium price point and probably the largest list of razor head designs, comfortable/heavy/nice grip handle designs
Tradere: Very high quality, medium price point, a few different razor options and a unique recycled material.
Feather: As good as quality/spec control gets...mild razors with only a couple designs...high price point.
Above The Tie: Quality that evidently rivals Feather, many different plate/head designs, probably the most overall aggressive plate/head designs avlb. and a high price point.

I hope members who have tried a wider range of the razors mentioned above can better & further explain their differences/comparisons.

4 789
 10-12-2013, 12:51 PM
User Info
Thank you to everyone who voted in the poll and left comments!

I posted this question and poll on both Badger and Blade and on Shave Nook. On both I believe that votes for "Other" can be mostly counted as votes for one of the Feather razors....

Total votes between both forums: 54

Total votes which included...
Weber: 15
ATT: 14
iKon: 11
Feather 9
Tradere: 8

- I suspect that the votes for Feather would have been higher, if I had formally included Feather in the poll. It likely would have been a favored recommendation given my current inclination towards very mild shaving. I'm sure I would love it, but I'm still worried that over decades the chrome would scratch and chip, and then the stainless steel underneath would rust in the low oxygen environment under the plating. The Feathers could last just as long though, and only time will tell for sure.

- Above The Tie was listed in more of my poll's options ... which may have increased its total listed here

- While not listed in the poll, the iKon slant also received some recommendations in comments. While I decided to count "Other" votes as votes for Feather ... it is possible that some of the other votes were intended for the slant.

Even after this poll, I still seem to change my mind a couple times a day on what I should purchase. Variety is both fun and diversity makes for safer long term "investments" ... so I am favoring iKon or Above The Tie (ATT) for their baseplate systems.

The iKon three plate set seems to be more geared towards the mild end of the spectrum, while the ATT set is reportedly more towards aggressive. If ATT sold a 4th extra mild plate (perhaps "XM"?) I think that would be an easy solution for me, but Stan politely responsed to my email that they didn't have any plans to offer something like an "XM" baseplate.

Right now I'm favoring one of two packages for my anniversary razor(s), but I'm waiting to check for any changes in Ikon's offerings/prices when they open their site backup on the 15th before I pull the trigger.

1. iKon 5 plus an iKon slant head

2. A collection of just milder heads from iKon, ATT, and maybe Tradere ... sticking with just my current RazorRock Slab handle

0 6
 10-12-2013, 08:57 PM
User Info
Looks like Weber is king....

0 606
 10-15-2013, 06:20 PM
User Info
From my last post until the poll closed, the tally for iKon went up by 2 votes ... putting the Ikon 5 roughly in the same ballpark as Weber and Above The Tie Atlas 5 Piece Set (when totaling the votes across both forums, Shave Nook plus Badger and Blade).

Funny enough, from my last post I completely changed my mind (as I have may times over the past month or so). I just purchased the Above The Tie (ATT) Atlas 5 Piece Set, and if the M1 is too aggressive for my current taste I'll probably purchase a Feather ASD2 for Christmas.

Why the change? Subjective reasons really ... I didn't want a little Skull on the handle of my anniversary razor ... and I decided to favor something made in my own country. The Weber also sounds great, but from what I've heard it would be mostly like a stainless steel version of the Edwin Jagger 89a that I already own. Being a little different from what I have made the ATT a little more special. Plus the ATT coming with 3 different aggressiveness levels of baseplates makes me more confident that it is something that I'll continue to find useful even if my tastes in razors change over the decades.

That, and it seemed like many of the votes (and many comments in other threads) for Weber or iKon were due to their great value. But many of the ATT and Feather voters said it was simply their favorite razor. I wanted something special that should reliably last for many decades of use ... and I'm not a jewelry kind of guy.

Again, thank you to everyone who voted and posted advice! I'll likely post my personal review of the ATT in a few weeks.

0 6