04-21-2012, 04:44 AM
User Info
I've had my Eclipse Red Ring for many weeks now, and I've used it quite a lot, so I thought a review was in order.

The Eclipse Red Ring is a DE razor that was produced in Sheffield, UK. It was produced in the 1930's by James Neil and Co. - one of the smaller razor makers in England. However, the razor itself really deserved to be more popular and successful.

I quick search on Google for 'Eclipse Red Ring' will show that the razor was made available in several sets, but I received a user-grade one in a leather case:

[Image: DSCN3259.jpg]

The case itself is pretty clever, with a slot for blades, etc. It's pretty obvious that the manufacturers took some care with the stuff they produced.

The razor is a really beautiful piece - even in the state I received it (definitely user-grade). It is a two-piece razor, with posts on the head for placement of the blade. I like the posts on the head (also present in the Darwin Deluxe), as I find that makes blade placement easier than posts on the head-cap.

[Image: DSCN3260.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3262.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3270.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3267.jpg]

The handle is a nice size (pretty standard for DE razors at that time), with really nice knurling, and the words 'Eclipse' and 'Red Ring' engraved on the shaft - a nice touch. The grip it affords is excellent.

One of the things, the razor is known for is the magnet at the end of the knob - used to aid in picking up blades. The pic below also shows the eponymous Red Ring.

[Image: DSCN3269.jpg]

The head of the razor is really well-designed, with a tooth-comb safety bar. The teeth on this head are pretty deep, so in practice the razor functions as an open-comb razor. The bar at the end of the teeth is great as it means that these razors have all survived with their teeth straight.

The head-cap has shallow grooves in it, that may have a marketing 'raison d'etre', but really is just cool to have. Smile

The fit and finish are really excellent. Most of these razors have survived with their plating intact.

[Image: DSCN3264.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3265.jpg]

The blade is held down slightly curved (when the head it tightened down), and the razor starts off medium-aggressive - like a Red-Tip. Very smooth with any blade, and a real pleasure to use.

The razor is sometimes touted as an 'adjustable'. It even has a marker and notches in the knob, as can be seen here:

[Image: DSCN3263.jpg]

In practice, this doesn't work as well as you'd hope. Unscrewing the knob causes the blade to move around pretty quickly, as it's held in by the bending tension only (unlike a Progress, which has a spring-loaded blade-bed). So, you can make it very aggressive by loosening the knob by less than one knotch.

So, if this is an 'adjustable', then so is any other 2-piece DE razor. I know that this has been advertized as a feature on many 2-piece DE razors, but it really is marketing more than anything. If you want an adjustable, get a real adjustable - Futur, Progress, FatBoy etc.

Still, this razor is a really excellent shaving instrument. It sort of works like my NEW Deluxe Belmont, which is great, as I think that is one of the best DE razors I've ever used. The shaves with this razor have all been very close and really nice.

I like the feel, weight and build quality of the razor. I love the shave. So, this is certainly one razor that's worth owning.

However, these are not common, and they're very popular on the shaving forums. The prices have been rising steadily, and can cost you in the $250-300 range now, depending on the completeness of the set and the condition of the razor.

This is the one drawback of the razor. At $100, I'd say it was worth chasing after - just for the experience of using one. At the prices this may cost you now, I'd say that there are razors that are as good shavers, and equally beautiful, that will cost a small fraction of what one of these will.

Final Verdict: This is a really, really nice razor, but (because of the price it commands) it is more for the collectors than for the guys who just want a good user razor.

37 1,731
 04-21-2012, 05:27 AM
User Info
A great review Yohann. The head looks similar to the 2011 Muhle R41. I would think Muhle got their inspiration from this razor. I really like that its a two piece spindle. Very hard to produce.Re-plated red rings are going for over $200 if you can even get one. Congratulations and use it well.

98 12,359
 04-21-2012, 06:06 AM
User Info
I would call this specimen at least one step above user grade. Most of the ones I've seen on eBay have cracks in the barrel of the handle. Wonderful razor and great pics.

3 195
 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Yohann

A very nice review for a very! good looking razor Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-21-2012, 12:46 PM
User Info
Thanks for the excellent review.

1 2,827
 04-21-2012, 04:42 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
wow, that was a futuristic looking razor for its time!

kinda looks Gieger influenced with those spines! (Alien)

9 1,684
 04-21-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
Fantastic review! It doesn't help that I cant find one!!! Dodgy

2 805
 04-21-2012, 06:06 PM
User Info
That is a very informative and well written review. Thanks Johann!

0 303
 04-21-2012, 08:41 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
An excellent review. Thank you. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 04-21-2012, 09:24 PM
User Info
Another great review, Yohann! Beautiful razor!

74 20,788
 04-22-2012, 01:49 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nicely done, Yohann. I don't collect DEs as much as I used to but this is one razor I regret missing on auction at least twice. Well maybe that's a good thing. The last one was cased, gorgeous and I believe fetched nearly $300! My

35 2,703
 04-23-2012, 06:34 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I remember a year or so ago Greg at iKon was toying with the idea of a Red Ring inspired razor complete with magnet on the end of the handle. I would love to see it come to fruition.

45 15,937
 04-23-2012, 06:46 AM
User Info
Yep, that would be nice.

Bob (cooncatbob) already sells all his handles with the built-in magnet. Can't say that I think it's necessary or even useful (I never use it), but it is cool to have. Smile

Of course, Bob doesn't make razors.....just handles (and conversions). Greg, or another razor maker could hardly go wrong with copying the Eclipse. It was an excellent razor design.

37 1,731
 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM
User Info
I enjoyed the review. First time I've seen such a detailed review of the Red Ring. Thanks.

24 1,106
 04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
User Info
Great review, and great pictures, thank.s

0 31
 05-13-2012, 04:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I love the Eclipse, but alas out bid again on the bay!

91 17,611
 11-19-2012, 02:16 PM
User Info
My grandad picked up one of these from the floor when the factory got bombed in WW2. (I like to think he was saving it instead of steeling it). It had a scorch mark on the head which only recently wore away after many year's of use by my dad. I have now got it and am building up to using it (its a little aggressive for a newbie with in-growing hairs on the neck).

0 1
 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
there is one up now on umm, that place we all peruse

0 1,589
 03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
User Info
(11-19-2012, 02:16 PM)Cjdales Wrote: My grandad picked up one of these from the floor when the factory got bombed in WW2. (I like to think he was saving it instead of steeling it). It had a scorch mark on the head which only recently wore away after many year's of use by my dad. I have now got it and am building up to using it (its a little aggressive for a newbie with in-growing hairs on the neck).
Thank ur Grandad for serving in the military for us....i had a few RedRings and sold some, they shave like a SuperSpeed but just a bit more aggressive, i love the design but really dont consider it a daily shaver.

0 606