07-23-2017, 12:13 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-23-2017, 08:36 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: Interested to hear the continued report on Big Bang.  I saw it at Peets yesterday when I picked up "sergeant" D's and was curious...

Going in, I was cautiously sanguine.  In general, the GAT Carmen thrives on darker roasts, such as the Lavazza Kilimanjaro, and the Big Bang is midway between City and Full City. We made one pot of each this morning, because we had freshly whipped heavy cream to dollop into the moka pot brew, and the cream makes coffee get consumed fast.  

Surprise!  Both my bride and I preferred the brew from the Peet’s Big Bang to the brew from Lavazza Kilimanjaro.  The degree of preference was not huge, and was less than difference between the two coffees’ flavor; the Big Bang blend was a bit sweeter, or perhaps it just integrated better with the sweetness of the whipped cream, and it sipped ever so smooooothly.  

[Image: yaeFolm.jpg]
Oops!  By the time I pulled out the camera, the coffee was all gone; but there was still some whipped cream on hand.

1 1,110
 08-01-2017, 01:20 PM
User Info
Two coffees today...

[Image: PrivateRes-WB-2.jpg?1338307966]

Greenwell's Private Reserve, from Kona, Hawaii. I bought this ($52/lb!) when on vacation after touring their farm.

[Image: montana-and-sons-red-bird-coffee-2.jpg]
Redbird Espresso

6 804
 08-02-2017, 07:48 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Plain, old Maxwell House...Made outside, at sunrise, while camping...Really hit the spot after a nice shave.

0 360
 08-05-2017, 11:40 AM
User Info
[Image: 5VpR8Ex.jpg]

This morning's brew which eventually got blended into my Bulletproof coffee for a breakfast that keeps me energized and full.

KoHi Labs AeroPress Filter

[Image: jqoLhuY.jpg]

I wasn't expecting my new metal fabric ultrafine filter for the AeroPress from KoHi Labs until Monday, so I was very excited to see it this afternoon. It will definitely be getting used later today. It has the benefits of a metal filter such as allowing more of the oils in, while maintaining the clean sediment-free cup you can get from a paper filter.

31 8,058
 08-05-2017, 12:06 PM
User Info
Interested to hear your impressions of the Kohi.   I have both of the Able discs but I don't think they are as fine.

20 1,788
 10-22-2017, 04:29 PM
User Info
Not necessarily a specific COTD, but just got back from a trip to Portugal and Spain and was loving the quality of the coffee at pretty much everywhere I had it (including a couple hotels we stayed at). During a food & walking tour we did in Lisbon the host made a point of mentioning how even places that don't focus on coffee still take pride in serving a good one, and I definitely felt like that came through everywhere I had one with the exception of a place in Madrid that was a bit snooty anyways so it didn't really surprise me.

6 102
 10-22-2017, 05:14 PM
User Info
was the coffee in Spain/Portugal mostly drip or espresso?  when I was in Spain...a loooong time ago...I wasn't even drinking coffee.

20 1,788
 10-24-2017, 11:02 AM
User Info
(10-22-2017, 05:14 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: was the coffee in Spain/Portugal mostly drip or espresso?  when I was in Spain...a loooong time ago...I wasn't even drinking coffee.
Espresso, lots of people seem to just pop into places to have a quick shot and maybe a little pastry, and then just go about their day.

6 102
 10-24-2017, 11:23 AM
User Info
sounds awesome...

20 1,788
 11-28-2017, 09:06 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
22 grams Kicking Horse "Kick Ass" Organic coffee with 380 grams via Cona 2A table top vacuum pot

104 2,107
 11-28-2017, 11:19 AM
User Info
My usual weekday brew: Café Bustelo Espresso Instant Coffee with half & half

0 2
 12-04-2017, 06:48 PM
User Info
Burundi Ngara Station water processed decaf from Sweet Maria's.  Roasted to full city... in my Poppery.  Black - always.

I know, it's not a roaster, but hey...

1 108
 12-05-2017, 07:24 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
21.5 grams Palomar Roster Tanzanian Peaberry coffee with 370 grams filtered water via Cona 2A table top vacuum pot

104 2,107
 12-05-2017, 09:30 AM
User Info
[Image: 9ba6b9a42255a016926ea383552c7616.jpg]

My daily coffee ritual. (For the last year anyway)

Nabob 1896 Tradition. Brewed through my Hamilton & Beach coffee maker into my go cup. Topped off with a few splashes of 18% cream. Yummm

0 11
 12-07-2017, 04:49 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
2017 December 6
[Image: 8K9XmmT.jpg]
Brewed in a Hario Nouveau vacuum pot

(Obviously, a large portion of the package already has been consumed.)  We have bought, and enjoyed, Jeremiah’s Pick coffee before, but I have never seen it for sale outside of a few select stores in the Bay Area.  (I understand that the company has an online store, however.)  When we were in Oakland (California) two weeks ago to visit our son’s family for Thanksgiving, I picked up the coffee above at the Piedmont Market.  

This “Holiday Blend” coffee must be is a limited time release.  The company’s description of the coffee, on the display at Piedmont Market, is:  

A delicious marriage of Ethiopian Sidamo and Tanzania Peaberry. The Ethiopian's flavor of citrus, pear, and hints of chocolate is an extraordinary combination with the fruity taste of the Peaberry. This soft and light blend has low acidity and a smooth finish. It pairs delightfully with holiday desserts, and is great to indulge on a festive fall or winter morning.

We have brewed this blend in a moka pot (GAT Carmen 6 tasse) as well as in the Hario vac pot.  It is delicious brewed either way; not many coffees I have tried work as well with both brewing methods.

(I can read, but I do not grok, the katakana above and to the left of the HOLIDAY BLEND banner on the bag; it reads, “the original kura:tsu.”  Perhaps Tom (Wreck|Fish), who also has spent some time in Japan, can shed some light on what the scribbles between ラ and ツ signify.)

EDIT:   I asked my bride, who was born, raised, and highly educated in Japan:  a. whether she thought the squiggles betweeen the and the were meant to be an m-dash — (which would extend the duration of the vowel of ra and make the word kuraatsu), b. what the word kuraatsu (a word with which I am unfamiliar) might mean, or c. whether the squiggles were meant to be to harden the initial consonant of ツ (but tsuTSU would be nonsensical).  Her reply:  “Whoever designed that label obviously did not know Japanese, and simply mis-copied the characters from someplace else; the original text from which the characters were mis-copied probably was, ‘the original classic’ (ザ∙ オリジナル  ∙ クラシク)."

1 1,110
 Yesterday, 09:17 PM
User Info
Coffee of the day 12-12-17

Numinous Coffee Roasters (Marble Falls, Texas) Espresso Blend #5 Ethiopia/Nicaragua blend

18g dose, 24g yield in ~25 seconds

Photo of a screenshot from a video I took of today's shot.

Cheers![Image: pqcQy0g.jpg]

69 2,194
 Yesterday, 09:19 PM
User Info
Awesome picture.  Sounds delicious.  What grinder and espresso machine are you using?

20 1,788
 Yesterday, 09:24 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 09:19 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Awesome picture.  Sounds delicious.  What grinder and espresso machine are you using?

Hi Tom! Thanks, and it was delicious. I pulled the shot over a bit of chocolate syrup, then into my tumbler as an iced mocha. I have been drinking straight espresso lately, but I love milk based drinks too, especially on my days off when I have more time.

My espresso machine is the Profitec 500 Pro. The bottomless portafilter is also made by Profitec.

I am using a Rancilio Rocky (doserless) grinder.

69 2,194
 Yesterday, 09:28 PM
User Info
Sounds awesome.  The profitec seems like a very nice machine.  I never got the hang of straight espresso but do equal amounts espresso and steamed half and half.

Can't wait for the morning!

20 1,788
 Yesterday, 09:34 PM
User Info
(Yesterday, 09:28 PM)wreck | fish Wrote: Sounds awesome.  The profitec seems like a very nice machine.  I never got the hang of straight espresso but do equal amounts espresso and steamed half and half.

Can't wait for the morning!

It is a great machine. I wouldn't turn down a Slayer, but I am really happy with the Profitec. :-) It is very well built. 

Straight espresso is definitely an acquired taste. I didn't really care for it at first until I got used to it, now I love the taste!

What set-up are you using?

69 2,194