07-23-2017, 12:13 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-23-2017, 08:36 AM)wreck | fish Wrote: Interested to hear the continued report on Big Bang.  I saw it at Peets yesterday when I picked up "sergeant" D's and was curious...

Going in, I was cautiously sanguine.  In general, the GAT Carmen thrives on darker roasts, such as the Lavazza Kilimanjaro, and the Big Bang is midway between City and Full City. We made one pot of each this morning, because we had freshly whipped heavy cream to dollop into the moka pot brew, and the cream makes coffee get consumed fast.  

Surprise!  Both my bride and I preferred the brew from the Peet’s Big Bang to the brew from Lavazza Kilimanjaro.  The degree of preference was not huge, and was less than difference between the two coffees’ flavor; the Big Bang blend was a bit sweeter, or perhaps it just integrated better with the sweetness of the whipped cream, and it sipped ever so smooooothly.  

[Image: yaeFolm.jpg]
Oops!  By the time I pulled out the camera, the coffee was all gone; but there was still some whipped cream on hand.

1 1,089
 08-01-2017, 01:20 PM
User Info
Two coffees today...

[Image: PrivateRes-WB-2.jpg?1338307966]

Greenwell's Private Reserve, from Kona, Hawaii. I bought this ($52/lb!) when on vacation after touring their farm.

[Image: montana-and-sons-red-bird-coffee-2.jpg]
Redbird Espresso

6 750
 08-02-2017, 07:48 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Plain, old Maxwell House...Made outside, at sunrise, while camping...Really hit the spot after a nice shave.

0 360
 08-05-2017, 11:40 AM
User Info
[Image: 5VpR8Ex.jpg]

This morning's brew which eventually got blended into my Bulletproof coffee for a breakfast that keeps me energized and full.

KoHi Labs AeroPress Filter

[Image: jqoLhuY.jpg]

I wasn't expecting my new metal fabric ultrafine filter for the AeroPress from KoHi Labs until Monday, so I was very excited to see it this afternoon. It will definitely be getting used later today. It has the benefits of a metal filter such as allowing more of the oils in, while maintaining the clean sediment-free cup you can get from a paper filter.

31 8,057
 08-05-2017, 12:06 PM
User Info
Interested to hear your impressions of the Kohi.   I have both of the Able discs but I don't think they are as fine.

17 1,423