01-31-2018, 04:31 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(01-30-2018, 11:39 AM)cessnabird Wrote: Gig, nice looking Cappuccino. Glass is always interesting and is almost like a bottomless portafilter... You really get to see the drink naked. 

Shawn, that shot looks amazing! I need to come over and raid your coffee stash. The last home roasted Ethiopian you gave me was super tasty.

That can be arranged Jeremy.  I think home roasting is the next logical step for you.   Biggrin

10 1,734
 01-31-2018, 10:01 AM
User Info
(01-31-2018, 04:31 AM)Sully Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 11:39 AM)cessnabird Wrote: Gig, nice looking Cappuccino. Glass is always interesting and is almost like a bottomless portafilter... You really get to see the drink naked. 

Shawn, that shot looks amazing! I need to come over and raid your coffee stash. The last home roasted Ethiopian you gave me was super tasty.

That can be arranged Jeremy.  I think home roasting is the next logical step for you.   Biggrin
Very true! I have already been eyeing home roasting equipment. You're right, it is the next logical step.

Here are yesterday's and today's shots from our house. Both a Colombian blend from Greater Goods Coffee Roasters here in Austin. Shawn, you need to try their coffee. Their roasting profiles are some of the best I have come across in the third wave world. Smooth and velvety on the palate. This coffee likes the 34-35g extraction range.

[Image: whqVGEJ.jpg]

[Image: yQMftS8.jpg]

[Image: Ij4qwNb.jpg]

71 2,238
 02-05-2018, 09:51 AM
User Info
COTD:

Cultivar Costa Rican- Red Catuai

18g dose, 31g yield in 27 seconds for a nice balanced shot of espresso.

I have been playing with grind/yield settings lately after watching some recent videos from Real Chris Baca. It's crazy how more developed roasts (medium roast in the third wave world as this one is) taste sour at a 1 to 2 ratio. But pulling it back to 31g instead of a 36-40g yield. Much better balance, and body. If this were a light roast Ethiopian, the yield would probably be better suited at 36-42g. 

Tip of the day: More developed roasts are much more soluble vs light roasts, so they need less water through the puck to extract properly. That is unless sour coffee is your thing. :-)

[Image: zoypV03.jpg]

[Image: n0ryACX.jpg]

71 2,238
 02-05-2018, 05:55 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Jeremy, by more developed roasts do you mean darker roasts?

10 1,734
 02-05-2018, 09:36 PM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 05:55 PM)Sully Wrote: Jeremy, by more developed roasts do you mean darker roasts?

Yes, darker roasts.

71 2,238
 02-05-2018, 11:39 PM
User Info
(02-05-2018, 09:51 AM)cessnabird Wrote: COTD:

Cultivar Costa Rican- Red Catuai

18g dose, 31g yield in 27 seconds for a nice balanced shot of espresso.

I have been playing with grind/yield settings lately after watching some recent videos from Real Chris Baca. It's crazy how more developed roasts (medium roast in the third wave world as this one is) taste sour at a 1 to 2 ratio. But pulling it back to 31g instead of a 36-40g yield. Much better balance, and body. If this were a light roast Ethiopian, the yield would probably be better suited at 36-42g. 

Tip of the day: More developed roasts are much more soluble vs light roasts, so they need less water through the puck to extract properly. That is unless sour coffee is your thing. :-)

I've been watch Baca's videos so we may be on same path. Espresso this morning was coming to similar proportions and but also differences to achieve more control within the pull. Today was different after testing the shot and then setting that as the baseline for drinks.

Mix of 2 beans from Guatemala at a grind of 7.8+, 20.2 grams grounds, portafilter pulls around 37 grams. The dial in time ran the beans around those previous specs at around 20 seconds. Once the beans went in the hopper, run time doubled to around 36-40 seconds. The mix of beans to my coworker said his palette to be on the one note side and said he tasted a nuttiness to the espresso. The hot milk seems to tie the coffee together but without having more understanding of how to best run it, I can only say it is very response to grind adjustment. I am curious if I can fill up the 20 gram basket more and get the grounds closer to the shower head rather than going to a dose 18.0 to 18.5 grams.

Thanks for your post and beautiful photos. Good luck with your next pulls and make some killer caffeine. '

Shy

84 1,634
 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM
User Info
Zac, it sounds like you are onto something with your experiments in grind settings. The longer pull time is most likely keeping your shots from being sour as well, up to 40 seconds instead of 20. Were your shots sour tasting and weak at 20 seconds?

Some people swear by up-dosing the portafilter (20g in an 18g basket), while others say you have to leave room for the puck to bloom during the initial water contact. I guess experimenting on your own is the only way to find out what works for you and your machine. I have a VST 18g basket and always dose right around 18- 18.1g. My Profitec does ramp up pressure for 6-7 seconds so the puck blooms before the pump hits 9 bar. If your machine hits 9 bar from the start, perhaps puck bloom is less important?

Keep on pulling that Spro!

71 2,238
 02-12-2018, 04:27 PM
User Info
Things are getting a little steamy around here...

[Image: 5AZ7kFB.jpg]

71 2,238
 02-16-2018, 11:03 PM
User Info
For Valentine's Day, my wife ordered me a wonderful Ethiopian Yukro from Heart Coffee Roasters in Portland. And no, the name of the roaster was not a coincidence with the holiday Smile

This weekend, I need to hit up my local roaster, Peixoto Coffee in Chandler AZ. They have a few new items on the slow bar, including a new nanolot from the family coffee plantation in Brazil.

6 1,009
 02-19-2018, 07:24 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Just getting into coffee (within the last 2ish months). This was my cup this morning - Starbucks french vanilla beans with frothed milk. 

Gotta start somewhere Cheers 

[Image: BYRlPRT.jpg]

12 609
 02-19-2018, 09:39 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-16-2018, 11:03 PM)Gig103 Wrote: For Valentine's Day, my wife ordered me a wonderful Ethiopian Yukro from Heart Coffee Roasters in Portland. And no, the name of the roaster was not a coincidence with the holiday Smile

This weekend, I need to hit up my local roaster, Peixoto Coffee in Chandler AZ. They have a few new items on the slow bar, including a new nanolot from the family coffee plantation in Brazil.

Have you checked out Cartel Coffee Lab? There are six locations in AZ - one is in Tempe on University. Great coffee. I discovered them at a small outlet in Sky Harbor Airport.

61 861
 02-19-2018, 09:49 PM
User Info
(02-19-2018, 09:39 PM)greyhawk Wrote:
(02-16-2018, 11:03 PM)Gig103 Wrote: For Valentine's Day, my wife ordered me a wonderful Ethiopian Yukro from Heart Coffee Roasters in Portland. And no, the name of the roaster was not a coincidence with the holiday Smile

Have you checked out Cartel Coffee Lab? There are six locations in AZ - one is in Tempe on University. Great coffee. I discovered them at a small outlet in Sky Harbor Airport.
I have not been to the store, but just a few weeks ago a breakfast joint I went to was serving Cartel coffee. I felt like what was being served was a darker roast than I'm accustomed to. I will add it to my list though. And if you are a local, another Tempe shop that is good is Infusion. My favorite in the valley is Peixoto in Chandler.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

6 1,009
 02-24-2018, 10:37 PM
User Info

I took a great (IMO) photo of this coffee and wanted to share.

[Image: eqVnmPA.jpg]

6 1,009
 02-26-2018, 10:57 AM
User Info
No case of the Mondays here. When there's coffee, there's happiness!

39g of Kenya in the Gibraltar glass. Home espresso everyday.

[Image: tgpUdjY.jpg]

71 2,238
 03-13-2018, 10:00 PM
User Info
Looks delicious cessnabird!

I have finished my Ethiopian Yukro, and here's one more parting shot of a delicious, almost syrupy shot that might qualify as ristretto (37g in < 2oz).

[Image: T4MiFpy.jpg]

I'm back on Redbird Espresso blend - it's never fails to impress me as cappuccino. All chocolate notes, no need for mocha! No photo, though.

6 1,009
 04-11-2018, 08:11 AM
  • Ram57
  • Boise, ID
User Info
25 grams Lavazza Grand Espresso with 380 grams filtered water via Cona 2A table top vacuum pot

107 2,490
 05-30-2018, 11:44 AM
User Info
Let's bring this thread back to life!

[Image: 4X7ImYm.jpg]

71 2,238
 06-02-2018, 11:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
 06-05-2018, 06:22 AM
User Info
From recommendation by Larry, Nicoletti Espresso.  Great deal and a great coffee.  [Image: W8dFPJJ.jpg]

0 364
 07-10-2018, 12:09 PM
User Info
A nice Redbird cappuccino with almost latte art!

[Image: Z2Yyiky.jpg]

6 1,009