10-06-2013, 12:33 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I gave in to the temptation of cheap blades and ordered a pack of one called Balaka. I've got one loaded in my Fat Boy and it's due up in the rotation tomorrow. Meanwhile, I've seen two reviews that have me second guessing whether I should even try it. They read like some slash and gash teenage gore movie. Has anyone out there have any experience with these? Are they really that bad? I can still change it out.

6 2,006
 10-06-2013, 08:00 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have never used these blades you mention Mouser (Balaka's), but I do know where your coming from... I have many cheaper blades like Chroma, LORD S.Stainless, Super thin Gillette and so on that I bought simply to try. Now that I know they don't compare to any of my favorite blades, I guess I only use them when I have a tried and true combo of razor, cream/soap, brush and other pre and post shave items. These experiments sometimes make me want to use a so so blade just to see what variables effect my shaves the most. Conclusion - Many inexpensive blades shave so bad, that after giving the blade a second chance to ensure I didn't shave with a lemon blade, I never feel the need to revisit the pack...Many inexpensive blades do give me a shave that bests blades at more than twice or three times their price (MerkurHuh) although these blades like LORD Platinum class or S.Stainless are not in my top three, I still find them useful when many days of growth needs to be chopped away...I use an inexpensive blade for a first pass and then swap out for a blade of choice...this has given me better results than just shaving with say an Iridium or Silver Blue for the entire shave, usually dulling the blade in one, maybe two - Three pass shaves. And of course YMMV, so give them a try, report back here, and see if you can find a place to fit the blades into your shaving regimen...And if they are truly horrible - give em away or use them around the house for anything but a shaveNono

4 792
 10-07-2013, 03:07 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(10-06-2013, 08:00 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: I have never used these blades you mention Mouser (Balaka's), but I do know where your coming from... I have many cheaper blades like Chroma, LORD S.Stainless, Super thin Gillette and so on that I bought simply to try. Now that I know they don't compare to any of my favorite blades, I guess I only use them when I have a tried and true combo of razor, cream/soap, brush and other pre and post shave items. These experiments sometimes make me want to use a so so blade just to see what variables effect my shaves the most. Conclusion - Many inexpensive blades shave so bad, that after giving the blade a second chance to ensure I didn't shave with a lemon blade, I never feel the need to revisit the pack...Many inexpensive blades do give me a shave that bests blades at more than twice or three times their price (MerkurHuh) although these blades like LORD Platinum class or S.Stainless are not in my top three, I still find them useful when many days of growth needs to be chopped away...I use an inexpensive blade for a first pass and then swap out for a blade of choice...this has given me better results than just shaving with say an Iridium or Silver Blue for the entire shave, usually dulling the blade in one, maybe two - Three pass shaves. And of course YMMV, so give them a try, report back here, and see if you can find a place to fit the blades into your shaving regimen...And if they are truly horrible - give em away or use them around the house for anything but a shaveNono
That is a great idea about switching out a bad blade when whacking a few days growth off. Personally, I never go a day without shaving. If I'm feeling bad, a little shaky, I just mow on the quick with a disposable and a small can of goo I keep just for that purpose. Having spent my career in outside sales I always had to. I wish I had been wet shaving back then. The routine I had to go thru back then just to get a decent shave took longer then my wet shaves take now but way less enjoyable with what I wold now consider sub par results.
I'm going to try that Balaka today and I'll report in.

6 2,006
 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
Well, here's my advice. Chuck 'em. There's no danger of getting nicked by them. They barely nicked my whiskers. Actually, I got halfway decent results, mostly by it pulling out my whiskers rather than cutting them.

6 2,006
 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
HAHAHA, good call

4 792
 10-07-2013, 07:59 PM
User Info
That is unfortunate that they did not work out for you. However, there are so many good blades out there!

75 20,883