10-07-2013, 12:55 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have had a CPAP for about a month.

I have noticed, the last couple of times I had a rough shave, that I seem to cut myself in the same areas where the CPAP mask and straps press down.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does your CPAP make your skin easier to nick in the morning?

10 1,858
 10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Hmmm, Eric ... that's an interesting situation. Although I don't use CPAP, I would imagine that the pressure from the mask contacts and straps may be resulting in
1. surface irregularity of the skin i.e. that may 'catch' the razor head as it glides
2. 'disorientation' of hair shafts
resulting in the increased propensity to nicks/cuts when shaving.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone else has experienced these issues.

102 17,671
 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
If you used a warm washcloth and do a bit of facial massage it would smooth the uneven surfaces but it would add a bit of time to your shave...probably help a lot

6 1,913
 10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
  • Clinto
  • Richmond, Virginia
User Info
One of my friends has actually commented to me about that. He hasn't given wet shaving a try but he ended up switching from cartridge razors to an electric Undecided

0 13
 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(10-07-2013, 01:26 PM)Harvey Wrote: If you used a warm washcloth and do a bit of facial massage it would smooth the uneven surfaces but it would add a bit of time to your shave...probably help a lot

That's an excellent thought.

(10-07-2013, 05:44 PM)Clinto Wrote: One of my friends has actually commented to me about that. He hasn't given wet shaving a try but he ended up switching from cartridge razors to an electric Undecided

Meh. I may switch to night shaving instead. Smile

10 1,858
 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
User Info
Good luck to you, Eric!

75 20,883
 10-07-2013, 09:10 PM
User Info
I use a CPAP and have never noticed what you describe. Are you noticing any lines on your face from the straps after you take it off? If so, you might have the straps too tight.

0 836
 10-08-2013, 06:46 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
Even if you only make the straps snug enough to make the seal, if your pressure setting is on the high side, the seal could be broken, especially if you have a ramp set. Mine is set at 9.5 with no ramp and the straps would definitely leave marks, though I don't recall any shaving problems. Besides I normally shave in the evening.

However, the marks could last as long as two hours. I could still notice lines after I got to work, but I don't know if anyone noticed. Then I discovered Pad A Cheek. I ordered the strap cover for my full face mask & bingo! No more lines!

~Frank

18 271
 10-08-2013, 07:04 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
Have you tried a smaller and different mask? There is one similar to the oxygen system - fits into the nostril area only.

0 295
 10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I also wear one and never had this problem. I always shower before shaving and run warm on my face for a couple minutes.

1 3,507
 10-08-2013, 09:25 AM
User Info
(10-08-2013, 06:46 AM)RedRocks Wrote: Even if you only make the straps snug enough to make the seal, if your pressure setting is on the high side, the seal could be broken, especially if you have a ramp set. Mine is set at 9.5 with no ramp and the straps would definitely leave marks, though I don't recall any shaving problems. Besides I normally shave in the evening.

It could depend on which mask you're using. I use the ResMed Ultra Mirage II and the way it's is designed, higher CPAP pressures actually help create a better seal as the mask seal material curves around so the pressure pushes the lip of the seal against the face.

It took me a while to realize it, but I actually get a better seal with looser straps. You just need it tight enough for the mask seal to make contact, then the CPAP pressure takes care of the creating and maintaining the seal. If your straps are too tight the CPAP pressure isn't effective in creating a seal and then you have to rely on the strap being tighter, which would probably cause temporary marks on your face.

For me at least, tighter doesn't not equal a better seal and my pressure is around 11.5.

That aside, if you are getting strap marks, me sure to stretch out that skin when you're shaving to minimize any affect those marks have on your shave.

0 836
 10-08-2013, 11:31 AM
  • Songwind
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
My straps are currently tightened to the point the sleep lab tech set them during my follow-up sleep study. It is firmly tight, but not uncomfortable.

The goatee definitely makes getting a good seal a bit trickier.

I can get marks on my face from wrinkles in my pillow case, so I may be easier to mark than some people. Smile And the neoprene of the straps means that area stays a bit damper.

Or, maybe I'm just going too fast with my open comb. I think I'll need more experimentation.

10 1,858
 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM
User Info
While I had to google a bit to figure out what y'all are talking about, I'm wondering if you might react to the material of the mask?

I know that if I put on my respirator (aka "gasmask") when freshly shaven, I get red and tender skin. Off course if I'm not freshly shaven, I get CS-gas (which we use to test the respirators) leaking into the mouth piece, which is even worse...

3 3,580
 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
Actually, I use a BIPAP which uses higher pressure than the CPAP, and so I need to keep the straps quite tight in order to keep the mask from leaking. I can, in fact, see distinct lines across my cheeks from the straps in the morning.

Despite these noticeable lines, I don't really have any problem with shaving. I use a single edge razor and I shave quite close with no negative result.

I do use a hot washcloth in my prep and I kind of scrub my face after holding the hot washcloth to my face for a couple of minutes before lathering, and then I face lather. This has been my routine since long before I started using the BIPAP, but perhaps it does help make my face less likely to react adversely to the blade after using the mask.

Regards,
Tom

0 10
 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I agree that the straps might be too tight, and that cushions would be helpful.
I use nasal cushions, because I can't stand a full face mask.

2 447