10-07-2013, 03:22 PM
User Info
Hello everyone,

I was very fortunate to buy a beautiful Somerset Classic 2 from John (churchilllafemme) recently. It truly is a classic!

The hair on it is a virtual dead-ringer for my 2013 Chubby 1 Best. The only differences I can detect are:
  • Slightly lighter tips on the CL2
  • Slightly softer tips on the CL2 when dry
  • Some hooked/barbed tips on the CL2 when dry
  • A lot of hooked/barbed tips on the CL2 when wet and a ton of them early post-bloom

Just when I thought I knew just about everything about Simpson 3 band Best hair, this brush surprised me a lot when I face-lathered with it last night for the first time. I wasn't expecting to see so many hooked tips after soaking the brush. And I was expecting the softer dry feel + hooked tips to translate into a very soft face feel.

Well, the badger gods were laughing at me, because the brush was actually much less soft in use than the CH1. Loft on the CL2 is a few millimeters shorter, but this CL2 has scritch. Thankfully it never crossed the border into prickle, but it was definitely making its presence known on my face.

Has anyone had this experience with a hooked tips Best? I thought hooked tips always equals a softer face feel, but it seems this brush disproves that statement. Thanks for your thoughts.

1 255
 10-07-2013, 03:59 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
My Simpsons Duke 3 in Best is hooked. It was my first and only brush for a long time so I had no idea it was even hooked. I've added and sold many brushes since and it is still the only hooked brush I've had. It is the softest brush I've had also.

45 3,955
 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM
User Info
ntr, I have a great 2 band from TGN with hooked tips. I'll be damned why, but its one of my favorite.

2 546
 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
User Info
Some of my brushes have hooked tips. They aren't any better than the brushes I have that don't have them.

15 762
 10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
User Info
John might be a good person to ask as he has tried many brushes.
Personally, I have tried a few Simpsons in Best and found some slight variations in feel with the Best hair; some being as you describe with significant 'scrub' and others almost similar to their Super, very, very soft. I had never noticed the hooked tips and don't even bother to look for them.
Good luck with the brush.

75 20,883
 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM
User Info
I remember the Classic 2 as being soft but having a very light and pleasant scratch. Both the Classics have been like that for me. I don't remember seeing the hooked tips, but then again, I wasn't looking for them.

184 12,003
 10-08-2013, 03:46 AM
User Info
Thank you for the replies! I used the Classic 2 again this morning (and soaked the Chubby 1) in order to add some photos. Here are the two brushes after drying and combing out:

[Image: BTaVDPt.jpg]
[Image: 2L04npK.jpg]

Following the shave and shaking out both brushes, this is how they looked:

[Image: EsKOufi.jpg]

After a few swipes across a towel and fanning out:

[Image: jbzbgMu.jpg]

Close up of the CL2:

[Image: jWtBexm.jpg]

The CH1:

[Image: nHjm7fR.jpg]

My impression from this morning was that the CL2 had less scritch or scratch but still more than the CH1. I also noticed that the CL2 seemed to hold more water than the CH1.

1 255
 10-08-2013, 03:53 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Both brush knots are beautiful ... Smile

It's interesting to note the intra-brand variability that exists in terms of knot hair characteristics.

The wet clumping pattern seems to be a strong indicator of the degree of tip hooking.

102 17,671
 10-08-2013, 04:19 AM
User Info
Thanks, Agravic. The two knots look even more similar dry than the pictures suggest. As you write, there is no question the clumping is linked to hooking, however I have seen some exceptions.

I am away from many of my brushes right now, but when I get them all together I want to post some better photos of Simpsons through the ages. The faux butterscotch on my M7 2-band is almost the exact same shade as my catalin Duke 1 2-Band Best, and so are the tips. We tend to focus on the differences between Somerset and Mann brushes, but many times they are more similar (even in the details) than we recognize.

1 255
 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM
User Info
Hooked tips and gel-like feel are only associated with 2 band badger hair.

Don't really have any more insight other than that to offer.

9 2,988