10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I have a Simpsons Classic 2 in Best, I bought it here from a member and I couldn't be happier . It's a great little brush, but I'm confused, it's bulb shaped and that's the only thing I'd change about it, but no big deal, but just now I saw one for sale on another site and it's plainly a fan shape. What gives?

6 2,006
 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
User Info
The nature of handmade brushes?

31 7,914
 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
My classic 2 Best is definitely More fan, less bulb hybrid...with a knot/hair quality that is 99% identical to the Super knots in the two 3-Band super brushes I own - PL8 and Tulip2...this brush is chubby dense and made me feel like I hit the lotto when I opened its box and compared/investigated the knotAngel one more reason I love those Simpson brushesHeart

4 792
 10-07-2013, 05:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Simpson's knots range from bulb to hybrid or even more fan shaped. It is as Brian suggested, the nature of handmade brushes. However, some sites photograph individual brushes in an effort to permit the purchaser to exert some influence over knot shape. Alternatively, Mark can be contacted directly at Simpsons and a specific knot can be requested...

91 17,875
 10-07-2013, 07:12 PM
User Info
(10-07-2013, 05:25 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: The nature of handmade brushes?

+1

75 20,883
 10-08-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
An advantage to the Super/Silvertip 2 band hair is that the knot shapes are quite consistent. You are virtually guaranteed a bulb.

I think Simpsons could improve their sales by offering brushes in the lower grades with various knot geometries. There could be bulbs and fans (as opposed to the usual hybrids) without compromising the tradition or artisanal quality. Many enthusiasts would then want to buy their favorite brushes with the various knot shape possibilities. Right now getting a hybrid 2 band or a fan in any grade seems pretty improbable.

1 255
 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
I understand about variations in handmade products but not on something like knot shape. To me that's like ordering a blue shirt and opening the box to find a red one.

6 2,006
 10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
(10-09-2013, 10:44 AM)Mouser Wrote: I understand about variations in handmade products but not on something like knot shape. To me that's like ordering a blue shirt and opening the box to find a red one.

Cracker Jack, a surprise in every box! Lots of character in a a Simpson brush. The thread on the Rover shows three brushes from Ben. Each a little different yet the same model, grade, and knot.

The Florida vendor that specializes in posting photos of each stock item is a good solution if you are sensitive to handmade variations. I recently gave him a try on a straight. Good service and received exactly what I expected.

A Simpson brush purchased unseen is a little like buying a Thiers Issard straight unseen. It may arrive with more character than you envisioned but it will be a superb performer. Easy to see past minor knot variations once the brush is in use.

0 536
 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
User Info
^^^ Well said!

31 7,914
 10-09-2013, 03:22 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-09-2013, 12:44 PM)u2u Wrote: ...The thread on the Rover shows three brushes from Ben. Each a little different yet the same model, grade, and knot....

Exactly, they are all slightly different, but honestly perform and feel the same.

(10-09-2013, 12:44 PM)u2u Wrote: ...The Florida vendor that specializes in posting photos of each stock item is a good solution if you are sensitive to handmade variations...

Very true. Buy from Jarrod with confidence.

(10-09-2013, 12:44 PM)u2u Wrote: ...A Simpson brush purchased unseen is a little like buying a Thiers Issard straight unseen. It may arrive with more character than you envisioned but it will be a superb performer. Easy to see past minor knot variations once the brush is in use...

Correct, just like a Joris razor in genuine Thuja wood, a Plisson brush in genuine horn or a Dirty Bird Bill Bowl in your favourite glaze. Natural materials and handmade elements combine to produce a "Forest Gump" experience...

91 17,875
 10-09-2013, 03:32 PM
User Info
(10-09-2013, 10:44 AM)Mouser Wrote: I understand about variations in handmade products but not on something like knot shape. To me that's like ordering a blue shirt and opening the box to find a red one.

I don't believe Simpson markets them as "fan" or "bulb" and nor do any vendors. If you want a Fan or Bulb, you have to have a supplier or Simpson pick one out for you or have a look at Superior Shave as they photograph all of them for sale so you get to see what you order.

So it's not the same as ordering a blue shirt and getting a red one, not even close actually.

8 2,718
 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(10-09-2013, 03:32 PM)Bruce Wrote:

I don't believe Simpson markets them as "fan" or "bulb" and nor do any vendors. If you want a Fan or Bulb, you have to have a supplier or Simpson pick one out for you or have a look at Superior Shave as they photograph all of them for sale so you get to see what you order.

So it's not the same as ordering a blue shirt and getting a red one, not even close actually.
It is exactly the same if you don't know to buy from a vendor like Superior. Every other vendor shows a photo of one and what you get may or may not look the same. Knot shape is one of the questions asked when getting a custom brush done. If it didn't matter they wouldn't ask it.

6 2,006
 10-09-2013, 10:22 PM
User Info
Simpson brushes are traditionally a "hybrid" bulb/fan shape, but they do vary greatly from brush to brush. Handmade!

63 2,128
 10-10-2013, 12:36 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Bottom line, it's a well known phenomenon, rich in tradition and the adoring Simpson fans not only accept it as an aspect of the brushes individuality and a celebration of the unique handmade influence, but also an exciting element to adopting one of these wonderful tools...

91 17,875
 10-10-2013, 03:16 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
(10-10-2013, 12:36 AM)ben74 Wrote: Bottom line, it's a well known phenomenon, rich in tradition and the adoring Simpson fans not only accept it as an aspect of the brushes individuality and a celebration of the unique handmade influence, but also an exciting element to adopting one of these wonderful tools...
I see that and agree. As an unknowing rookie I would have been very ,um, upset, but having that knowledge going in and great resources like The Superior Shave and Mark, well, variety just adds to pleasure. You have to know, though.

6 2,006
 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM
User Info
(10-10-2013, 12:36 AM)ben74 Wrote: Bottom line, it's a well known phenomenon, rich in tradition and the adoring Simpson fans not only accept it as an aspect of the brushes individuality and a celebration of the unique handmade influence, but also an exciting element to adopting one of these wonderful tools...

Agreed. That's what I love about Simpsons. Nobody has a brush like mine Smile

14 276
 10-11-2013, 12:31 AM
User Info
(10-10-2013, 01:09 PM)teeitup418holes Wrote:

Agreed. That's what I love about Simpsons. Nobody has a brush like mine Smile

+1

63 2,128
 10-12-2013, 08:32 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Interesting discussion. I own 5 Simpson brushes (Duke 2 in pure, Colonel in best, Chubby 1 in best, Tulip 2 in super and Jubilee in Manchurian) and they all came with knots that looked like the pictures posted by the vendors.

5 761
 10-13-2013, 07:24 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(10-12-2013, 08:32 AM)Rufus Wrote: Interesting discussion. I own 5 Simpson brushes (Duke 2 in pure, Colonel in best, Chubby 1 in best, Tulip 2 in super and Jubilee in Manchurian) and they all came with knots that looked like the pictures posted by the vendors.
I agree that most generic pics will match the general qualities described by Simpson...handle shapes especially are very close in these regards too (slight color and finish diff's)...IMHO knots and engraving show the most variance...My obsessive analyzing of what now must be over 100 Simpson brushes in hand, has shown me many different sizes(knot/loft), colors, textures and surprises with knots in Pure, Best, Super and Two-Band (Never Manchurian)...who's had a Pure that has such clear banding that it looks and feels very similar to Best, or Best grades that appear to only have two bands...I own a classic 2 Best that is so damn close to my Super grade Simpson 3-Band brushes in appearance and feel that IMO, it is a Super grade badger no matter what it says on the handle...I can distinguish four different Best hair knots out of what I own, three are very close to each other, one is basically super, and two others that don't resemble the other four nor each other...Super is more consistent and Two-bands have become much more consistent over the past year...Keep in mind, these brushes are ALL Simfix's that likely span over four years of production. I don't mean to sound like an expert, but I'll be damned if I didn't notice tons of variations...finally I have noticed less variance over the past year especially compared to past years. These are the reasons I continue to covet Simpson brushes in my shaving arsenal, I like surprises and have hardly ever come across a disappointment...maybe one or two out of a hundred, not bad odds even if your ordering from a generic picThumbup

4 792