10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I was just cleaning out under the sink and I didn't realize that I had so much stuff! I've been DE shaving for a few months now and each month it seems like i've been afflicted by some new AD.

I try to live a minimalistic lifestyle in general, but my shave den is not a true reflection of who I am and i'm not liking it. Also, I abhor too many choices so picking a soap and razor each day is really sticking it to me.

Are there any of you out there who practice shave den minimalism? If so, can you help me get on the right path? How do you decide what you keep and what you don't?

19 631
 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM
User Info
While I prefer having choices and would prefer an overflowing den to a minimal one - YMMV and all that - you could start a tally-sheet over how often you reach for your various supplies.

Anything that don't get used in a month (or two weeks even) would have to go... I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who would help take things of your hands Tongue

3 3,569
 10-07-2013, 07:55 PM
User Info
Wow, that is a tough question!

I use only one DE razor; Weber DLC.
A rotation of 11 brushes, only two soaps and Unrefined Shea Butter for a balm.

Does this seem minimalistic? If not, then I may not be able to help you. Good luck. Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-07-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
I have been reducing my arsenal recently, just hanging onto the stuff I love and use often.

Now I am down to four creams (Trumper Limes, Coate's Rose, Lavender and Sandalwood) and five soaps/sticks (Proraso, La Toja, De Vergulde Hand, Palmolive and Tabac). That's a lot by some standards, but a lot less than I had.

Dave

7 138
 10-07-2013, 08:58 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm a minimalist in several facets of my life ... my shaving den is not one of them ... Biggrin

102 17,665
 10-07-2013, 09:38 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Shave den minimalism is a myth , Biggrin , however , I must admit that I have tried to thin my shaving items so many times , with no success , Im afraid...

86 7,123
 10-08-2013, 12:22 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Most of us seem to be out for a great shave and then fall into the honey trap of the hobby. Its this " falling" unconsciously which is bothersome. Most men seem to value self control and self sufficiency , there is strength in Spartan simplicity. But then the hobby ads catch us and we are uncontrollably craving and desiring everything shaving , we get a fix and onto the next fix. We like control but can't control ourselves. We want to dominate this thing but its dragging us around.

Personally I am saying the hobby for me is an open ended process my relationship will just evolve and change over time like the size of my den or the gear I want. Thats how I made my peace with it.

Saying the hobby should have a purpose, goal, ultimate fixed happy state or reflect my values or identity seems futile because the pleasure of shaving and its gear seems to involve the excitement and satisfaction of our senses rather than answer to our need for the perfect rational plan or goal or shaving end.

15 541
 10-08-2013, 12:32 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My version of shave minimalism is to minimise any negative thoughts about the arsenal of shaving supplies I've amassed...

Some quiet contemplation about what I wish to acquire next returns my mind to a peaceful state and ensures the enduring zen like quality I've worked hard at hoarding in my shave den...

Tongue

91 17,835
 10-08-2013, 03:31 AM
  • VT_Hokie
  • 2-Band Bandito
  • Charleston, SC
User Info
I'm in the middle of making that transition right now. After years of doing this I've figured out what works for me and what I like and need. I'm currently in the middle of taking my collectibles down to 2 razors, 2 brushes and a handful of soaps.

Been wanting to do this for awhile and it feels really nice.

13 599
 10-08-2013, 05:34 AM
User Info
So far, I have 4 razors, of which I primarily use my cheapest and worst performing razor as my daily driver; I don't know why.

I have 4 brushes, of which again, I use my worst performing as my daily driver. I still don't know why - maybe in hopes I can push it into an early grave?

Soaps and creams are my weakness. I just took an inventory of my software stock and I have 24 soaps and creams. Mind you some are small amounts, like 1-2 oz samples, but for me they seem to last forever. I got a 1/8 puck of MWF from WD and i've been using it religiously for months and the puck is only now starting to look like i've been using it.

I've thought about selling some of my under used soaps, but I just can't bear to get rid of them. The irony is I have an awesome B&M store in my neck of the woods so it's not like i'm hard pressed to find what I want.

This kind of decadence grates on me so much. How much inventory do you guys normally keep on hand? I was hoping to have only 4-5 soaps on hand at any one time but I just can't seem to manage it.

19 631
 10-08-2013, 05:43 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I prefer minimalism too, and I like using one brush and three soaps. However I like to collect razors Smile right now I am collecting two kinds of razors: injectors and cartridge razors.

1 750
 10-08-2013, 05:44 AM
User Info
I know there are things I won't use again but I'm too lazy to list them for sale. I may be at twenty soaps but only three aftershaves. I may have 15 razors of which I use five.

9 197
 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM
User Info
I generally figure if I don't use it for a month, I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. I've gone through lots of products in my search, and I'm not done by any means, but I've given away, traded, or sold the things I don't use regularly. At one point I had something like 30 DE razors. Now I'm down to 5. I also have 8 brushes, but they all see regular use. I only have one straight, and 4 or 5 SE razors. The soaps and creams are still a bit of a revolving door, but I've liquidated the once that were in "remote storage" as they were never getting used.

7 89
 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM
User Info
The only way to really become a minimalist is to stay off these forums. Seriously, just when I think I'm all fine with what I have, I read about the next best ____ and I have to have it!

I only let myself get something new if I get rid of something first. Even though my Weber gives me great shaves, I still can't stop obsessing over getting an iKon OC or Feather AS-D2, but the only way I'll let myself get one is to sell off my Weber. Undecided

2 102
 10-08-2013, 08:48 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(10-08-2013, 05:34 AM)Starkicker Wrote: So far, I have 4 razors, of which I primarily use my cheapest and worst performing razor as my daily driver; I don't know why.

I have 4 brushes, of which again, I use my worst performing as my daily driver. I still don't know why - maybe in hopes I can push it into an early grave?

Soaps and creams are my weakness. I just took an inventory of my software stock and I have 24 soaps and creams. Mind you some are small amounts, like 1-2 oz samples, but for me they seem to last forever. I got a 1/8 puck of MWF from WD and i've been using it religiously for months and the puck is only now starting to look like i've been using it.

I've thought about selling some of my under used soaps, but I just can't bear to get rid of them. The irony is I have an awesome B&M store in my neck of the woods so it's not like i'm hard pressed to find what I want.

This kind of decadence grates on me so much. How much inventory do you guys normally keep on hand? I was hoping to have only 4-5 soaps on hand at any one time but I just can't seem to manage it.

These views are not about razors , brushes and soaps and enjoying a new interest. It seems like you are weighing your new hobby down with the problems of your minimalist life style views.

Minimalism seems to represent to you , rigid consistent control over your world and you can't seem to get over actually enjoying the shaving hobby, its out of control you feel. You are struggling to beat the hobby into shape to fit your lifestyle but the enjoyment it brings wants to be free , exuberant and rampant. lol

Lifestyle philosophies, ethical religious codes etc should foster enjoyable healthy living as an end just not fear , self denial and no to everything.

Can't you just enjoy the process of exploring the soaps and creams you like as you eventually decide your best picks? It should not induce " sin conscious" anxiety nor is it a permanent stain on your record as a lifestyle minimalist.

15 541
 10-08-2013, 09:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The only thing I'm a minimalist in is money. I don't have any. I spend it all on shaving goodies.Biggrin

173 23,519
 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM
User Info
For me, a little variety goes a long way.

If you want go with a bare bones kit, then pick one type of each item and use it until the soap / cream is gone. It will take a couple months. Put the other stuff away and see if you want a change when you pick your next soap to finish up. Just do this without buying any more software and you are well on your way to a minimalist kit.

I recently used a puck of soap from start to finish. It was a great soap, but I got really tired of the same thing every day after 3 months of daily use. Now I rotate between two soaps and 4 boar brushes. I have one razor handle, 5 heads, and a Barbasol razor. It is not an extravagant kit, but it gives me more than enough choices to keep it interesting.

The real trick is to have what you want and want what you have.

18 567
 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM
User Info
Charles and Dale nailed it on the head...

The moment you find a cream or soap, and an aftershave you like - stop visiting the shave forums. If you never know about the latest, greatest soap... cream... or a/s, you'll never be able to 'want' it.

After 2 years of constant experimenting I found 1 soap, 1 cream, 1 a/s, and 3 straights I loved and was totally content with. Warm spring weather hit and I pretty much abandoned the forums - spending my free time riding the motorcycle or enjoying the outdoors instead. Was happy as a clam for 7 months...

2 weeks ago I started cruising the shave forums again, and already I have the unnecessary, yet irresistible urge to try 4 new shaving soaps...

You can turn away from the forums and be happy with what you have... or keep coming back and willingly partake in the never ending for the latest, greatest, best, maybe-it'll-make-me-happier fad that comes along.

3 147
 10-08-2013, 05:35 PM
User Info
Thanks guys. Hanzo hit the nail on the head - I live a rigid life; more or less the same schedule day in day out; I take a long time to get accustomed to change and any change of plans gives me anxiety.

Initially shaving was great because it was something new, seemingly innocuous and it was just filling in a slot in my day to day routine.

Believe it or not, I'm not really swayed by the latest and greatest soaps or creams. I'm not hung up on getting the latest or greatest such and such, what I was after was that elusive BBS shave. I've realized now that a DFS is more than adequate. I love visiting these forums because of the camaraderie and you all are some of the classiest people in a increasingly sleazy world; it makes me feel better to know that there are still nice, decent people out there, somewhere.

My next AD is aftershaves and balms but I don't really know where to start. My hunting has begun; I read reviews and look for deals. What ends up happening to me is that I end up getting a whole bunch of stuff at once, and then i'm overwhelmed.

This is what's happening with my soaps. I have too much; I hate having too many choices and the "problem" with soaps is that they seemingly last forever. I've tried to be dedicated to one soap for any one length of time but I dont see any progress in using up the soaps; they look and weigh the same as the day I got them.

If you guys had to take a cleaver to your dens; how many razors, brushes and soaps/creams would you guys say is the absolute minimum in order to keep you happy with what you have, and still be able to justify a new purchase every few months?

I'm going to have to put a moratorium on my purchases; because of cost, but also because I feel like this hobby is dragging me down a dimly lit path I don't want to go down.

19 631
 10-08-2013, 07:02 PM
User Info
I have quite a bit of stuff I don't use very much. I tend to go back to the same items day in and day out. My problem is that my tastes and preferences change all the time. Some days I prefer something and then other times I want to get rid of it; only to agonize over "What if I want to use it again?"

2 396