10-08-2013, 05:57 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Now that I am getting used to the Gillette Slim, I decided it is time to go back and try different blades again. I want to narrow the field for a few bulk purchases. This will definitely be a “YMMV” adventure that most of you have already taken. I have shaved with all of these except the Personna Lab’s and Viking Sword’s, but I was using different razors. This should give me a good personal baseline. I want to thank the board members that sent me sample blades to try in addition to the ones I have purchased. I have eliminated some blades I have tried and have no desire to try again.

I will be using the following blades in the Slim for four shaves each:

• Gillette Silver Blue-4 great shaves-close, smooth
• Personna Med Prep-4 great shaves-close, smooth

Personna Lab-serious tugs on switched blade-good 2nd & 3rd-tugs on 4th
Perma-Sharp Super-4 great shaves-close, smooth
Polsilver SI-4 great shaves-close, smooth
• Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow SE-4 great shaves-close, smooth
• Gillette 7 O'Clock Green SS-4 great shaves-close, smooth
• Gillette 7 O'Clock Black SP-4 great shaves-close, smooth

• Voskhod-4 great shaves-close, smooth
Rapira Swedish Supersteel-4 great shaves-close, smooth
Viking Sword-4 great shaves-close, smooth
Israeli Personna/Crystal-4 good shaves-close, nick free-2nd tier
Israeli Red Personna-UK-4 great shaves-still smooth keeper-2nd tier
Supermax Titanium-4 good shaves, close & nick free-some tugs on 3&4-2nd tier
Astra SP-4 good close shaves-minor tugging on 2nd-2nd tier
Gillette Platinum-4 great shaves-close, smooth
• Rapira Platinum Lux-4 great shaves-close, smooth

I will start with the Gillette Silver Blue. I have used it in 5 different razors. It has done a excellent job in all five. It is in the "must keep on hand group".

[Image: GilletteSilverBlue-Tech_zps156f3ed1.jpg]

4 2,385
 10-08-2013, 09:30 AM
User Info
Have fun, Bob. I'll look forward to the reports of your exploration.

185 12,010
 10-08-2013, 08:00 PM
User Info
Those are some very good blades you intend to test.

I'm looking forward to reading about how they work for you as well.

32 6,312
 10-10-2013, 05:01 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Shave #4 with the Personna Med Prep today. It was still smooth as glass. Perma-Sharp Super next.........

[Image: PersonnaMedPrep_zps0b5e455a.jpg]

4 2,385
 10-13-2013, 05:09 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
It has dawned on me that this could be very dull to follow (pun intended) with the blades I have selected to use for this. They are all pretty darn good. I had my 4th shave with the Perma-Sharp Super this morning. Very close. Very smooth. No nicks or burn. Top tier keeper. On to the Viking Swords. I have never used one.

[Image: Perma-SharpSuper_zps98ed63ff.jpg]

4 2,385
 10-17-2013, 05:20 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I had tried all but two of these blades before. This was my first experience with the Viking Sword's. I had 4 excellent shaves with the Viking Sword: close & smooth. I don’t think these get as much attention as they deserve. They may be a tad behind the Med Prep on the 4th shave, but not by more than a whisker. These are "Keepers"!

[Image: VikingSword_zps9e8aff59.jpg]

4 2,385
 10-17-2013, 05:44 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Never used a Slim, but on my favourite razor, the super adjustable, the best blade for me is, interesting enough, also a gillette blade; 7 o´clock sharpedge. Biggrin

4 447
 10-21-2013, 05:23 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Polsilver SI blade. All four shaves were smooth, slick, and close. I had no tugging on any of them. My Slim was on “5” for one shave and on “6” for the other three.

I know……very boring. These are all very good blades. Next, on to the Personna Lab’s for the first time ever. They got here Saturday. I will get to compare them to the Med Prep’s for myself.

[Image: Polsilver_zpsef90ee10.jpg]

4 2,385
 10-25-2013, 05:36 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Personna Lab Blue blade. The first shave had significant tugging, so much so that I put in a new blade. I still had some tugging with the second Lab. My 2nd and 3rd shaves were good though. My 4th shave today had some tugging again and was not as close as normal for me. I can feel a difference between these and the Med Preps, on my face, not in my head. I really wanted to like these a lot in hopes of saving some money. I won’t be buying any soon, but I will go back to one of them in a few months and give them another go.

[Image: PersonnaLab_zpsf42db79c.jpg]

4 2,385
 10-25-2013, 06:05 AM
User Info
Bob, interesting to hear your experience with the Personna Lab blades. I have both the Personna Lab and Med blades in my regular rotation and find them indistinguishable from one another. They both provide me with superbly smooth, comfortable, and close shaves.

0 3,341
 10-26-2013, 05:03 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Quote: and find them indistinguishable from one another.

I understand. That is true with many folks. That is why I wanted to try them both for myself. Another YMMV situation. I was surprised too........

4 2,385
 10-26-2013, 03:49 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(10-10-2013, 05:01 AM)Coyote Wrote: Shave #4 with the Personna Med Prep today. It was still smooth as glass. Perma-Sharp Super next.........

[Image: PersonnaMedPrep_zps0b5e455a.jpg]

A truly great blade made in the USA.

100 12,451
 10-29-2013, 05:03 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Gillette 7 O’Clock Yellow Sharp Edge blade. All four shaves were good: close, smooth, and nick free. They don’t quite do as good a job for me in the Slim as the first 5, but very close. Better than the Personna Lab.

[Image: Gillette7OClockYellowSE_zps38a94e0f.jpg]

4 2,385
 10-29-2013, 10:03 AM
User Info
interesting stuff. when I was still using a slim I always loaded it with asco or gillette navies.

4 309
 11-02-2013, 04:30 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Gillette 7 O’Clock Green Super Stainless blade. The Slim was on “6”. All four shaves were good: close, smooth, and nick free. In fact, the 4th shave was the best of the four. For me, they do as well or slightly better than the Yellow’s in the Slim. The fact that the price is a toss up with the Yellow's may play a part?

[Image: Gillette7OClockGreenSSRussian_zps672f23a8.jpg]

4 2,385
 11-06-2013, 05:57 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Gillette 7 O’Clock Black Super Platinum blade from India. The Slim was on “6”. All four shaves were excellent: close, smooth, and nick free. In fact, the 4th shave was the best of the four. For me, they do slightly better than the Yellow’s and a bit better than the Green’s in the Slim. They are also the most expensive of the “7 O’Clocks”, Russian or Indian. I will probably keep some on hand……….
As I stated before, this is going to be pretty boring for the most part, since almost all of these particular blades should give 4 very good shaves. Next……..

[Image: Gillette7OClockBlack_zps54182ac0.jpg]

4 2,385
 11-06-2013, 06:08 AM
  • vpayne
  • Missouri
User Info
Coyote,
I just now realized that I had a similar experience with yesterdays shave. I put a Lab blade in my razor and it tugged quite a lot and I thought this is ridiculous, so I put in a Med Prep and no tugging at all. Just slick and clean. Got a very good shave. How about that. Now I know for myself too.

32 362
 11-10-2013, 06:38 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Russian Voskhod in my Gillette Super Speed Red Tip Flare. All four shaves were excellent: close, smooth, and nick free. These blades definitely fall into the “Best Bang for the Buck” category with me at $0.18/blade shipped.

[Image: VoskhodTeflon_zpsde987f2d.jpg]

4 2,385
 11-14-2013, 04:56 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Rapira Swedish Supersteel in my Gillette Slim. The Slim was set on “6”. All four shaves were good: close, smooth, and nick & burn free. These blades definitely fall into the “Best Bang for the Buck” category along with the Voskhods. I would either have to flip a coin or shave with each one until they gave out to pick a winner between the two. The Rapira is only a few pennies more per blade currently. I would have to rank the St. Pete 7 O’Clock & GSB Russians a quarter notch above the Rapira and Voskhod. For the price, I will be keeping some in rotation for sure.

[Image: RapiraSwedeSuperSteel_zpsfce9143f.jpg]
[Image: RapiraSS_zps7e88b710.jpg]

4 2,385
 11-18-2013, 05:23 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 4th shave using the Israeli Red Personna in the UK Packaging in my Gillette Slim. The Slim was set on “6”. All four shaves were good: close, smooth, and nick & burn free. They are not quite as smooth as some of the others, but there was still no tugging. The did well. These blades also fall into the “Best Bang for the Buck” category at about half the cost of the top tier blades.

FYI-The Israeli Red Personna’s are currently available in different packaging (there is a separate thread about the Red’s. I have the first two pictured below. The blue, red, & white packaging is done in the UK.

[Image: RedPersonnaUKPKG-Razor_zps5805bfa1.jpg]
[Image: RedPersonna-RedPKG_zpse548ea99.jpg]
[Image: RedPersonna2013_zps9c8031a2.jpg]

4 2,385