10-08-2013, 08:15 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I always play with various combinations of razor parts, as I am sure many of us do. However, I usually come back to the usual combination of head 'X' and handle 'Y' and that's it. Until now. I have been noticing that during the summer I have been tending towards an aggressive razor/milder blade combo as opposed to my usual (winter) preference of aggressive razor/aggressive blade. Well, this made me use my RazorRock/Cadet OC with milder blades (even used and actually enjoyed a Derby). RazoRock OC head is one of my all time favorite razor heads and I really like it with its own handle or the Ikon bulldog I have. However, I always try to go back to the Fatip, which is a similar design to RR/Cadet, but much more aggressive. The aggressiveness comes from a very narrow top plate, which exposes a huge amount of blade. I tried it with the RR/Cadet top plate and it works well, but the fit of the bullets of the RR/Cadet into the Fatip base plate is a bit tight and needs to be worked in there. Not exactly optimal. So I decided to try the top plate from this little known Hallmark OC razor I picked up at an antique store.

[Image: YMtjmb6.jpg]

[Image: D7NjVlL.jpg]

[Image: EsLOfbr.jpg]

The Hallmark is a two piece DE with a plastic handle permanently attached to the base plate. It's a pretty good shaver, but is very light and top heavy in balance. I enjoy it, but not often. So, I decided to try the top plate from this thing. It is designed kind of like Ikon in that it is wide enough to cover the whole blade end to end. Base plate is normal size, so the corners of the top plate are rounder to match the less wide base plate smoothly. It all works very well. So I tried it on top of the Fatip base plate and used the Ikon bulldog handle and got myself one heck of an OC Frankenrazor. It shaves very similarly to RR/Cadet, but seems smoother somehow. the whole thing works so well together that it just seems like a purposely designed razor if it weren't for three different colors (gold top plate, nickel base plate and SS handle). This could easily be a prototype for a new SS razor. It is that good.

[Image: 4Egnb3m.jpg]

[Image: Z5KhaDb.jpg]

[Image: Ewek43G.jpg]

25 1,705
 10-08-2013, 08:21 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice looking combination. I never knew Hallmark made razors.

100 12,447
 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM
User Info
You just like the color thing too much. 3 tone is a departure but....

51 306
 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-08-2013, 03:35 PM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: You just like the color thing too much. 3 tone is a departure but....

You know it Wink

Seriously, this thing shaves me like a dream. Haven't used the other multi-tone favorite I have for a while... Mostly because it's not OC.

25 1,705
 10-08-2013, 05:56 PM
User Info
Now that's some R&D. Thanks for sharing, vferdman.

47 1,270
 10-08-2013, 06:01 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Vladimir ... I'm guessing you liked Lego blocks as a child ... Biggrin

Nice Frankenrazor. Smile

102 17,670
 10-08-2013, 06:43 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-08-2013, 06:01 PM)Agravic Wrote: Vladimir ... I'm guessing you liked Lego blocks as a child ... Biggrin

Nice Frankenrazor. Smile

Why the past tense? I still love Legos, though after two boys (17 and 11 now) I am a little careful where I step around my house. Those smaller pieces really hurt going into foot meat.

25 1,705
 10-09-2013, 01:16 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Very nice!

91 17,857
 10-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
Excellent Franken!

24 543
 10-09-2013, 06:34 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the razor to the fullest.

2 11,211
 10-12-2013, 08:58 PM
User Info
Thank you for sharingWink

0 606
 10-17-2013, 11:13 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Cool combo! love it!

53 555
 10-17-2013, 11:40 AM
User Info
That is a nice looking combo indeed! I like razors with rounder features for some reason. The roundness of the top cap reminds me of one of may favs - my Barbasol.

0 29
 10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(10-17-2013, 11:40 AM)ZenShave Wrote: That is a nice looking combo indeed! I like razors with rounder features for some reason. The roundness of the top cap reminds me of one of may favs - my Barbasol.

I tried Barbasol (both types of heads) once and this is a similar type of shave. On the aggressive side, but not crazy and very smooth. The full Fatip is a bit too much for me to be an everyday razor, but this combo works a treat. The rounded corners are there because the top plate is wider than normal, covering the blade fully the long way. Kind of what Ikon razors do these days. So the rounded corners are kind of necessary otherwise they'd stick out and scratch.

I have a defective top plate from Ikon ShaveCraft 101 I recently purchased (the threads are bad on it and Ikon sent me a replacement). I sold the SC 101 head, but kept the defective top plate to play with. Well, it's also wider as Ikon does, but not rounded. When I pair it with a standard Merkur SB base plate the corners just stick right out and I would not bring that near my face like that. So I rounded the corners on that top plate so as to be useable with standard base plates. As I said, the threads are not great, but some handles will tighten it up, so I may try another Frankie with that and see how it works.

Stay tuned...

25 1,705
 12-08-2013, 06:15 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have been using this Frankie almost exclusively since I created it. I simply have no desire to mess with any other razor as this has been meeting my needs to a tee. I have gone ahead and filed off 0.012" off each side of the top plate. The result is slightly more blade exposure and there fore slightly more aggressive action. This brought this razor to about RR/Cadet OC aggressiveness, which is almost perfect for me. I really like it and feel like this is my setup for the time being. All my other razors including my beloved Progress are collecting dust.

25 1,705
 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM
User Info
Nice work Vlad! Cool

1 2,827
 12-09-2013, 05:22 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Thanks, Gary. I wish these Hallmark razors were more available. They are pretty nice, even in the original form. Plastic handle is very light, but the fit and finish on the razor is very nice. In original form it's a pretty mild OC, but not a total wimp. Would be good for most guys. Top plate from Hallmark on the Fatip base plate, however makes an excellent combination. I love the Fatip head in general because it's has a solid feel to it. I don't think it's pot metal, but rather stamped out of brass or something like that (I don't know that for a fact, but that's what it looks/feels like to me). If it weren't a bit too aggressive for me I would not really full around with the Frankenrazors. So this solution is really wonderful for me. After using it exclusively for a while it is really becoming "mine" as far muscle memory for it and just general feel. I am not big razor rotator anyway as I like to really get to know the razor and have it be an extension of my hand when I use it. This only happens with experience, so I like to use a razor for duration and switch only if and when the use becomes less than "really good". This can and does happen from time to time and that's when I switch my razor. I am down to two copies of Progress and a maybe six or seven OC's and I pretty much only use Progress, RR/Cadet OC and now this Frankie. I should really sell the others...

25 1,705
 12-09-2013, 05:27 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Very sweet. Great pictures.

100 12,447
 12-09-2013, 06:41 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(12-09-2013, 05:27 AM)slantman Wrote: Very sweet. Great pictures.

Thank you. Here are some more pictures.

[Image: 6o7AXft.jpg]

[Image: VLHeL66.jpg]

25 1,705
 12-09-2013, 11:31 AM
User Info
Great pics and explanation.

Could we see a pic with a blade loaded, please? I'd like to see how much blade is exposed on the Frankenrazor.

1 1,107