10-08-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
I was eagerly expecting it and it finally arrived.
I bought it in the terracotta bowl and as I read elsewhere, if it is old, then it dries in the bowl and gets hard. It is rather hard and doesn't give at all if i try to press it into the bowl.
I am thinking of just letting it sit overnight with some water, hopefully it would soften a bit.

Also about the scent.... ehemm...
I am going to let it breath for a while... i discoverd that a soap that gets a chance to breath for a day gets a bit more ''rounded up'' scent-wise....
Freshly opened ... it reminded the management of the incense she smelled in India.. . Luck so happened to have it such that incense was burnt while they were burning the dead at the Ganges river... so needless to say that I'm all hope that that particular part of the ''bouquet'' would get subdued.. .

6 808
 10-08-2013, 12:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Yes, warm water will help soften it us as will regular use. Once it has a few uses the scent is wonderful. Smells like mangos to me. One of my favorite soaps.

173 23,555
 10-08-2013, 04:59 PM
User Info
Mine should arrive tomorrow. I wasn't expecting a real hard soap but a soft soap given that it's called cream. Can't wait to try it.

31 1,800
 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM
User Info
Probably my #1 soap/cream. The scent grows on you. "Intoxicating" is the best description I have heard for it. And the performance is ridiculously good.

The puck that came in my terracotta bowl was definitely pretty hard. It spins around in the bowl when I'm lathering. I have never been able to smoosh it down. Maybe I should soak it. The refill puck that comes in the pouch is definitely more pliable.

24 235
 10-08-2013, 07:07 PM
User Info
Good luck with the soap!

75 20,884
 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you get a puck that is really hard, grate it then press it into the bowl. I've done that before and it works great.

173 23,555
 10-08-2013, 07:32 PM
  • Pudu
User Info
Does it affect performance if it's hard vs soft? I didn't realize until reading this that is was supposed to be a soft soap. Performance seems great as is though.

0 33
 10-08-2013, 11:00 PM
User Info
That bowl looks nice, but i think it is the aluminum lid that compromises the seal, because the scent was pretty much evident before i opened it.
It would have made more sense to sell the puck in its own bag.
The scent tamed down, a bit. Same thing was with Barbus, at first it had a strong industrial detergent smell, but a few days of keeping the lid open and it is fine now.

6 808
 10-09-2013, 07:02 AM
User Info
This soap is the most recent to my rotation. I absolutely love it. I bought the refill only. No issue with it's condition, other than a few cracks in the puck. The scent; totally unique. I've only used it a few times. Lather is dense and creamy, almost gooey. The shaves have been fantastic. If you aren't opposed to menthol in your lather and you crave chocolate covered mangos, then I would highly recommend.

7 17
 10-09-2013, 07:45 AM
User Info
A day later, with some water, it softened nicely and doesn't juggle around the bowl. I will keep it open for some more airing. The scent is slowly growing on me, at first though, I must admit, it reminded me the taxi cabs in Tel-Aviv in the 80's when all the drivers were chain smokers and they used cheap scented air freshener packets that they stuck over the AC vents...

The missus is convinced it is the terracotta bowl that is why I keep it around - but it is a rather nifty bowl isn't it...

6 808
 10-12-2013, 03:15 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
(10-09-2013, 07:45 AM)Galhatz Wrote: A day later, with some water, it softened nicely and doesn't juggle around the bowl. I will keep it open for some more airing. The scent is slowly growing on me, at first though, I must admit, it reminded me the taxi cabs in Tel-Aviv in the 80's when all the drivers were chain smokers and they used cheap scented air freshener packets that they stuck over the AC vents...

The missus is convinced it is the terracotta bowl that is why I keep it around - but it is a rather nifty bowl isn't it...

It's true about the taxi drivers in Tel Aviv being chain smokers. In Haifa, where I'm from originally most of them also smoke and don't even think about telling them to put out their cigarettes while they're driving! Biggrin

3 2,563
 10-15-2013, 01:46 AM
User Info
I don't know about haifa but in Tel-Aviv the times have changed. If a taxi driver refuses to out a cigarette he can get a ticket. They even have a dress code now - they can't show up to work in shorts.

As for the soap, a few days of airing out tamed it. My wife, who is about to exercise her veto over it can't smell a thing, but this is more due to a head cold. She only vetoed a product once - palmolive shaving cream (i'd spare her full description but the word 'old' was part of it).

I used it today, for the first time and it performed very well, truly excellent lather.

[Image: cTjCfS8.jpg]

I think/hope it will be a part of my regular rotation.

6 808
 10-23-2013, 03:44 AM
  • Pudu
User Info
Does anyone else's soap sweat while just sitting there in the bowl, or is mine the only one that needs to do a little more cardio?

0 33
 10-23-2013, 04:06 AM
User Info
I have both the terracotta bowl and a refill puck and was surprised when I opened my refill pouch to feel how soft the soap actually is. Even after some good use on the soap in the bowl it's still very hard, but mine never swirled around the bowl.

9 90
 11-13-2013, 12:23 PM
User Info
After using it for a while I want to "dial-down" my enthusiasm over this soap. The scent is unique and a matter of opinion. I like it. My wife hates it. It doesn't linger too long so I don't use it on the weekends.

As for the lather performance - it is OK but not spectacular. There are definitely better soaps, such as Cade.

6 808
 11-13-2013, 12:47 PM
User Info
(11-13-2013, 12:23 PM)Galhatz Wrote: After using it for a while I want to "dial-down" my enthusiasm over this soap. The scent is unique and a matter of opinion. I like it. My wife hates it. It doesn't linger too long so I don't use it on the weekends.

As for the lather performance - it is OK but not spectacular. There are definitely better soaps, such as Cade.

Agree, the scent is only OK, if that. The performance for me is sub-par. I get little slickness and cushion using this soap. I may try more water the next time, but I have other better performers. B&M, HTGAM, MdC, D R Harris, etc.

31 1,800
 11-23-2013, 06:40 PM
  • Niro884
  • Italian Shaving Enthusiast
  • Stoney Creek, Ontario CANADA
User Info
I truly love this soap. The performance and skin care is right up there with the best of them. Best thing to do as previously mentioned is to grate the puck and mold it back into your bowl. It will mold to the bowl and lay flat for better loading. I coloniali makes a great product. My top 3.

40 418