10-09-2013, 03:16 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I just ordered a CJB and was just browsing through the blades selection. I have no straight experience and prefer mild to medium DE razors. For those with experience in these blades what would you suggest I start with. Should I go with the guard blades? What is the benefit of them?

45 3,955
 10-09-2013, 03:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The Guard blade offers a little extra safety. It doesn't feel quite as smooth, on account of the "cage" around the blade, but it does add some confidence when first starting out.

The Kai are definitely less sharp than the Feather and they offer a Guard version too.

I haven't tried the Kai Guard, but with the regular (non guard) blade, I found the Kai Mild provided me with a more comfortable shave compared to the Feather Pro (but it doesn't last as long).

91 17,857
 10-09-2013, 06:02 AM
  • tsimmns
  • Mississippi
User Info
Here's my take on these blades as I have used them for about only two months in a Feather AC SS folding razor and then in the Cobra Classic.

I only tried a Feather Guard blade and the Kai Mild (no guard) blade in the Feather AC SS razor. I used the Feather guard blade the first couple of time and the shave went smooth with no nicks or cuts. They are not that smooth of a blade, but offer you a somewhat sense of safety when using them. However, in my opinion they don't give you as close of a shave. As for the Kai Mild blades, they also gave me a great shave, very smooth, but like Ben said they don't last long.

I then moved to the Cobra Classic with the Kai Mild blades. Again, they gave me great smooth shaves, but was only getting 4-5 shaves out of them. So one day, I put in the Feather Pro blade and haven't looked back since. I am only my second Feather blade, but I can tell you I got 14 shaves out of the first oneSmile While the first couple of shaves with the Feather blade is a little rough to say, they definitely smooth out in my opinion. Of course YMMV, but I think you will find those on here that love the Kai Mild blades and the Feather Pro. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either one.

15 970
 10-09-2013, 06:11 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes, I agree. The first shave with the Feather Pro can be rough and then the subsequent ones are definitely much smoother...

Also, I wouldn't use the "Guard" blades in the Cobra, only in one of the straight style razors offered by Feather and CJB.

91 17,857
 10-09-2013, 06:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Another option is the Dorco barber blades. They fit perfectly and give decent shaves.

100 12,447
 10-09-2013, 06:36 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-09-2013, 06:32 AM)slantman Wrote: Another option is the Dorco barber blades. They fit perfectly and give decent shaves.

And they are cheaper too!

91 17,857
 10-09-2013, 07:17 AM
User Info
I started with the ProGuards and liked them as a starter. Maybe I was a little too much of a scaredy-cat but having the guards helped me build confidence. I graduated pretty quickly to other blades.

72 1,407
 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have Feather Pros, Feather Super Pros, Dorcos and Kai Milds. I get really good shaves from all four and can't really tell much of a difference in results. I would try and tell you that one is less sharp than the other, but its all about technique and any of these four will bite you if you're not careful. I started off with the Kai Mild and those first shaves were the most irritation filled, but after a few weekends in a row I got to the point where the shaves left my face a little raw but without blood letting. Now I very rarely nick myself and can shave in a reasonable amount of time, but still enjoy using my other razors during the week. I replace my blade once a month just to try and detect subtle differences, but any difference is hardly noticeable after the first shave.

127 2,392
 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for all of the advice gentlemen. I think I will order the guards and the regular. I'm going to order some Kai and Feather's. I will start with the guard blades until I get the hang of it.

45 3,955
 10-10-2013, 12:46 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Make sure to report back with your experiences!

91 17,857