10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I am interested in three Cade products and I will list them here. If you have experience with any of these, both good and bad, please list it here.

Shaving Cream

[Image: bsjmLP7.jpg]

Shaving Soap

[Image: 6fyapJt.jpg]

After Shave Balm

[Image: TMjUTfK.jpg]

173 23,488
 10-09-2013, 04:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
It seems that Johnny wants to spend money !

Soap : excellent performer.Great lather , slick , really protective , no tallow just 100% veggie based (no shea butter on it , by the way).Not top notch , likejsab have pointed , but as good as other French soaps like Provence Sante or Pre de Provence. If you get it with the aluminum bowl (which is expensive ) , you will have a neat looking bathroom.Biggrin

Cream : have been reformulated like a year ago.Excellent skin care protection , as well as thick and protective lather.However , more expensive than the soap (the soap refill is 12 dollars while the cream is 28 dollars).

Balm : excellent.Takes care of your skin like no other.Contains Shea Butter as the cream.Perfect for winter , but could leave your skin greasy , so you only need a little bit of cream (even if you have dry skin).

The only downfall of those 3 products ? The scent.Not for everybody.The balm and the cream smells like old lady cold cream , while the soap smells a little bit more woody , but not my cup of Tea anymore.

86 7,123
 10-09-2013, 05:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The soap is fantastic and one of the most underrated products out there IMO. Great lather and very mild soap with a mild but nice smell. I haven't used the other two. I heard the Cream was just reformulated though.

45 3,955
 10-09-2013, 05:08 PM
User Info
The balm is super moisturizing. Takes great care of your skin, but like Ben said, probably best suited for cold weather for most guys. The soap scent is very woodsy, while the balm is softer... more powdery woodsy. I prefer the scent of the balm, actually. I think it smells great.

I haven't used the shaving cream picture, but did own the "Rich" Shaving Cream. It sucked balls. Couldn't stand the scent. Very powdery and kinda feminine. The balm smells much better than that, IMO.

24 235
 10-09-2013, 06:21 PM
User Info
I like the soap quite a bit. Very good for a tallow-free product. I skipped the aluminum bowl (which is something like $30. EMPTY!!) and put the puck in a Trumper's wood bowl (very good fit, BTW). I'd say it's the best puck of soap you can get for $12.

7 89
 10-09-2013, 06:42 PM
User Info
I love your attitude, Johnny! You keep trying new things. Must keep you young at heart! Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-09-2013, 09:02 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Soap: Excellent performer, decent (non-offensive) scent. Close to top-tier--on the top of the second rung.
Balm: Fantastic! One of my all-time favorites. Absolutely love the scent and it is very moisturizing.

52 785
 10-10-2013, 12:29 AM
User Info
(10-09-2013, 04:56 PM)Teiste Wrote: It seems that Johnny wants to spend money !

Soap : excellent performer.Great lather , slick , really protective , no tallow just 100% veggie based (no shea butter on it , by the way).Not top notch , likejsab have pointed , but as good as other French soaps like Provence Sante or Pre de Provence. If you get it with the aluminum bowl (which is expensive ) , you will have a neat looking bathroom.Biggrin
[...]
Balm : excellent.Takes care of your skin like no other.Contains Shea Butter as the cream.Perfect for winter , but could leave your skin greasy , so you only need a little bit of cream (even if you have dry skin).
[...]

I agree with Teiste regarding the soap and the balm. Never tried the cream.
However, I do love the scent of the soap. One of my favourite scents in a shaving soap, I only wish that it was stronger because it is a little subdued.

2 5,527
 10-10-2013, 05:40 AM
User Info
I have them all. I love them all.

The soap is a great value and a must have, IMO. The scent in my puck started out very faint but with use it has come out to the front quite nicely, but definitely not over powering.

The balm and creams are top performers but expensive. I'll definitely replace the cream when it's gone, but I'm not sure about the balm, strictly based on the price.

I'm about to start on 2 weeks of the Cade soap & balm and I'm really looking forward to it.

0 836
 10-10-2013, 06:07 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks to all for your responses. And Teiste, not neccessarly looking to spend money, although that's what it takes to have a change of pace. This is one product line that I've never tried and the opinions of those I respect carries a lot of weight.

173 23,488
 10-10-2013, 09:21 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-10-2013, 06:07 AM)Johnny Wrote: Thanks to all for your responses. And Teiste, not neccessarly looking to spend money, although that's what it takes to have a change of pace. This is one product line that I've never tried and the opinions of those I respect carries a lot of weight.

We all want to spend money in shaving supllies , my friend ! , but some hide it better than others (I dont ).Biggrin

If you get any of the Cade products , hope you enjoy them and report back.

86 7,123
 10-10-2013, 09:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I believe there is a Cade store in Madison and I will check it out when I'm down there at the end of the month.

173 23,488
 10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
User Info
I have a puck of Cade I picked up in a trade. It has a very faint scent, very mild. It get stronger when you whip up some lather, but still very mild. Great soap, but it drys my skin a little.

19 631
 10-10-2013, 12:18 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The soap and balm rock, I have yet to try the newly reformulated cream but the older version is only usable in a super lather with the soap. The scent is heavenly on all three products.

126 2,375
 10-10-2013, 12:23 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have the shave soap. It's a very good product, I'd recommend it if you like juniper.

I also got to try a sample of the balm. It works VERY well, but is quite expensive.

10 1,858
 10-10-2013, 03:04 PM
User Info
I've used the soap for years. For some time it was the only shave soap I used (this was before the days of shaving forums). I love the scent. The performance is behind my favorites like MWF and Harris but good enough that I still use it on occasion. The bowl is fantastic, best I've seen. The AS balm has a sweeter scent that reminds me a bit of Institut Karite. It leaves my face kind of oily so I really don't use it. The newly formulated shave cream that comes in a pot, which is different than the stuff in the tubes, has gotten very good reviews. I didn't buy it because the scent was more like the AS and less like the soap.

15 762
 10-10-2013, 04:56 PM
User Info
The cream in the tube is also reformulated and also fantastic.

0 836
 10-10-2013, 07:10 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I received the following email discussing the cream in the tube Vs the cream in the jar. According to them, they are one in the same product.

Date: October 9, 2013 7:41:04 PM CDT
To: Johnny Petree
Subject: Customer care request
Reply-To: L'Occitane Customer Service

Dear Johnny Petree,

Thank you for contacting L'Occitane.

The two products are the same, they just differ in the packing and size.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any other queries by replying directly to this email. Please contact customer service by phone at 1-888-623-2880.

Please feel free to visit our online boutique or your nearest boutique.

Yours sincerely,

Sabrina
Customer Service Representative

173 23,488
 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
Thanks Johnny, good to know. I'm still waiting on a response to a custumor service inquiry I made with them months ago. I'm not going to hold my breath.

15 762
 03-27-2014, 03:50 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The Baux is my fave but they don't make either a soap or cream in that scent. We finally got a store here down the road. I think I'll ask for a sample of the Cade soap when I pick up my next bottle of Baux edt.

5 2,006