04-21-2012, 09:02 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I'm looking to replace my EJ BBB with a Simpsons Best this weekend and looking for a little bit of knowledge. I've landed on either a Persian Jar 2 or a Harvard 3 or 4. I have long fingers, combo bowl/face lather and looking at Best as I plan to use it mostly with soaps and want to keep expense down as it would be a 2nd in command to my beloved Rooney 3/1 Super. Really like these handle styles vs a Colonel, Polo or Commodore longer type handles.

So the crux of the question, which style should I pick? I don't like floppy and want a somewhat dense brush. I've read so many conflicting items on both.

What is your opinion?

0 353
 04-21-2012, 10:06 AM
User Info
I'm no expert on Simpsons best, I've only got the Rover in that hair grade.

I will say that the best hair in this brush only has marginally more backbone than what you'd get in a Rooney Super, and it is not *quite* as soft at the tips. If more backbone is what you really crave, I'd go for something in the 2-band Super hair.

The models you mentioned are not inexpensive, btw, and moving up to 2-band Super will be more expensive still.

What are your primary criteria for the new brush?

Handle length?

Backbone/density?

0 189
 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
Pretty much both. I prefer longer handle lengths vs short, stubby ones. Density/backbone is important. I don't need it more dense than my Rooney, but the EJ BBB that I have is too thin and almost floppy to me.

The Colonel probably should be my easy target, but for some reason I really don't like the aesthetics of the handle. I don't have a SBAD, so this would probably be the last brush I buy in a long time.

I did like the Rover, but seem to be hard to find now.

0 353
 04-21-2012, 10:29 AM
User Info
I'm sure others will chime in, but I would probably save your $$$ until you are ready to buy a 2-band Super with a handle that you prefer. If my Rover and Tulip 3 2-band are anything to go by, the 2-band hair is both softer at the tip and has more backbone, less bloom, and more springiness to it than the best grade hair.

If you don't want to spend that kind of $$$, I'd suggest taking a close look at the Semogue SOC Badger brush. It would seem to meet your needs.

0 189
 04-21-2012, 01:30 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 10:29 AM)cvac Wrote: I'm sure others will chime in, but I would probably save your $$$ until you are ready to buy a 2-band Super with a handle that you prefer. If my Rover and Tulip 3 2-band are anything to go by, the 2-band hair is both softer at the tip and has more backbone, less bloom, and more springiness to it than the best grade hair.

If you don't want to spend that kind of $$$, I'd suggest taking a close look at the Semogue SOC Badger brush. It would seem to meet your needs.

i would have to agree with the SOC, but if you want badger, then the M&F two bands might be a better choice.

75 20,883
 04-21-2012, 01:35 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 01:30 PM)celestino Wrote:
(04-21-2012, 10:29 AM)cvac Wrote: I'm sure others will chime in, but I would probably save your $$$ until you are ready to buy a 2-band Super with a handle that you prefer. If my Rover and Tulip 3 2-band are anything to go by, the 2-band hair is both softer at the tip and has more backbone, less bloom, and more springiness to it than the best grade hair.

i would have to agree with the SOC, but if you want badger, then the M&F two bands might be a better choice.

@ under $75 shipped from Vintage Scent right now, it's a steal.

a nice 2 band M&F will run you close to $150 right now and you may be waiting weeks or longer for it.

8 2,718
 04-21-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info

Since when is Simpson's 2 band softer than their Best, I'm calling shenanigans on your sense of touch lol. Dodgy

Brent just buy the PJ2 in Best, otherwise if you want a 2 band go with the Morris & Forndran route and ask for the older type Blonde Badger; unless you want something like Rooney's Finest.

0 652
 04-21-2012, 05:59 PM
User Info
What does Older type blonde badger mean? He has 2 types? If so, what is the diff?

5 413
 04-21-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 05:59 PM)Krisbarger Wrote: What does Older type blonde badger mean? He has 2 types? If so, what is the diff?

Lee has switched to a different type of "Blonde Badger" from what I gather its similar to the old Rooney Finest; which was highly coveted...It's not known for being soft, it was sought out for its performance and status, however. The older lot of Blonde Badger is by far the softest 2 band I have encountered.

0 652