10-15-2013, 05:55 PM
User Info
Hey all, I got a Simpsons Special in Best a few weeks ago and have been absolutely loving it. I just wish I could use it every day, but my skin is pretty soft and sensitive, so I tend to need an every-other-day approach for the scrubbier/scritchier little guy.

I'd love to incorporate a Simpsons in Super into my routine, I hear nothing but great things about them, and I think that the Super would be much more reasonable for me to use as a daily driver. I like smaller sizes, and judging by the Special I don't think I would need much bigger than a 20-22mm brush for my face lathering routine.

What are some of the favorites in the smaller size for Simpsons Super Badger?

14 229
 10-15-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
If you really like the Special, I think Mark would be able to accommodate you with one in 2-band.
The Chubby 1 2-band is a very nice brush for what you are looking for as would a Case or a Duke. Depending on what you like with handles, there are a few options.
Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-15-2013, 06:35 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Forget about other similar sized brush in super badger and go for a Chubby 3.
As we say in Spain , "con dos cojones" Biggrin Rolleyes

But , if you really want to know my opinion , a Duke 3 in silvertip/super badger.

86 7,123
 10-15-2013, 06:55 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
I really like the Emperor its not as dense and the super is soft

115 1,692
 10-15-2013, 07:13 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Disclaimer : I have only tried a few Simpson brushes thus far.

My recommendation for a smaller Super : Tulip 2 (T2) Smile

102 17,664
 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM
User Info
My answer is based on face lathering since I FL 100% of the time.

Phil will hand pick a brush for you if you ask him to. Or check the b/s/t and inquire as to the scritch of a brush. All of my Simpsons (4? 5?) now are in Best and I have no scritch among them. Just ask the seller, if they can't give satisfaction then look elsewhere. IMO, one of the really powerful aspects of the b/s/t is that a fellow shaver has used the brush and can describe the qualities of a specific brush in detail.

In smaller face lather brushes, the Colonel x1 is a nice brush. The WeeScot is one diminutive and yet fantastic brush. As many times as I've used mine when it comes up in the rotation I always have my doubts as to whether it can do the job, and it has yet to fail me no matter what I use for lather.

Because I have no Simpson Supers I can't help with that. Sorry.

32 6,309
 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM
User Info
In the standard offerings there's the Tulip. You could also get a Duke made for you in Super.

15 762
 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
As per your description of preferences...IMO go Super three band to be completely scritch-less, I love the super two-bands but you may feel something other than cloud like perfection as in the three band supers...For a handle I'd say Tulip 1 or 2, Chubby 1...These are probably the most preferred handles for smaller end face lathering brushes in Super 3-BandCool Good Luck and Enjoy!

4 792
 10-16-2013, 04:13 AM
User Info
Wow, lots of recommendations on Chubbies, Dukes and Tulips, I'll have to look into those ones. Sorry, Teiste, I think even the Chubby 1 might be "demasiado mucho por mis cojones"!

Quote:My answer is based on face lathering since I FL 100% of the time.

Phil will hand pick a brush for you if you ask him to. Or check the b/s/t and inquire as to the scritch of a brush. All of my Simpsons (4? 5?) now are in Best and I have no scritch among them. Just ask the seller, if they can't give satisfaction then look elsewhere. IMO, one of the really powerful aspects of the b/s/t is that a fellow shaver has used the brush and can describe the qualities of a specific brush in detail.

I definitely have heard that Best has a lot of variety to it in terms of softness, so I'll keep an eye out on the b/s/t for some of the smaller Simpsons in Best. The one I have has a bit of it, just little enough that I don't mind, but just enough so I can use it as an excuse to fuel some SBAD!

14 229
 10-16-2013, 06:04 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have several Simpsons.For what you describe the Persian Jar 2 in Super is the best candidate. Large handle for bowl lathering. Enough backbone for face lathering. Softest tips imaginable for delicate skin and a 22 mm knot to boot.

57 917
 10-16-2013, 06:13 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I like the Tulip 2 followed by the Duke 2/3 in super.

5 758
 10-16-2013, 07:58 AM
User Info
The Duke or Tulip 3 would be my choice as well.

Honestly, I didn't care for any of the Simpsons Super brushes I tried. The hair grade doesn't seem to match the Best. I did like their 2-band Super from a while ago, and I love the Best grade, but the 3-band Super lacks backbone and the Manchurian is all hype (in my opinion).

If you want a soft brush (softer than a Simpsons Best, but not floppy) - get a Thater or a Shavemac.

37 1,731
 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM
User Info
I would go for a Tulip 3

60 1,698
 10-16-2013, 09:02 AM
User Info
Another Two (2) too ponder over:

Simpson's: "Milk Churn" or "Rover" my own are in ( Best ) but they are wonderfully soft & great work horses.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM
User Info
(10-16-2013, 07:58 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: The Duke or Tulip 3 would be my choice as well.

Honestly, I didn't care for any of the Simpsons Super brushes I tried. The hair grade doesn't seem to match the Best. I did like their 2-band Super from a while ago, and I love the Best grade, but the 3-band Super lacks backbone and the Manchurian is all hype (in my opinion).

If you want a soft brush (softer than a Simpsons Best, but not floppy) - get a Thater or a Shavemac.

I've got a Thater that is awesome, it's just a lot bigger than I truly enjoy. It's a 2-band and has great backbone, gel tips so my skin can truly enjoy it, but I found the 25mm to be much too large for my taste. I might look into one in a smaller size, perhaps one of their 3-bands in the future.

14 229
 10-16-2013, 01:00 PM
User Info
Have you tried a synthetic?

When I first got started in blade shaving I never would have posted that question, but the latest TGN flagged fibers are incredibly soft (gel like) with great backbone. If you don't want to glue a knot in a handle TGN will even do that for you if you just tell them what you want.

Just don't soak the brush, that's a no-no. It'll grab huge amounts of water and dump it. So you need to control the water. The synthetic fibers don't respond to soaking anyway, so there's no reason to soak. Don't even dip the brush until after you realize how little water the tips need.

32 6,309
 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM
User Info
(10-16-2013, 01:00 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Have you tried a synthetic?

When I first got started in blade shaving I never would have posted that question, but the latest TGN flagged fibers are incredibly soft (gel like) with great backbone. If you don't want to glue a knot in a handle TGN will even do that for you if you just tell them what you want.

Just don't soak the brush, that's a no-no. It'll grab huge amounts of water and dump it. So you need to control the water. The synthetic fibers don't respond to soaking anyway, so there's no reason to soak. Don't even dip the brush until after you realize how little water the tips need.

I've had two different synthetics for the very reason that they are scritchless: a Body Shop synthetic, and a hjm BlackFibre. The Body Shop one was terrible, and an early acquisition which I have seen from the experience of others to be quite a poor choice in synthetic. The hjm is plenty soft, but doesn't really perform as I would like it. The splay and bend of the fibres just feels very "off" to me, and when face lathering I just get irked more than anything.

That said, I haven't tried a denser Muhle SilverFibre, which seem to get some decent reviews overall. I have not seen much about the TGN synthetics, but the appearance of them scares me a bit in that they resemble the Body Shop brush I disliked so much. Might be worth checking out though!

14 229
 10-17-2013, 05:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My recommendation is based on your enjoyment of the Special in terms of size and your desire for a softer Simpsons brush...

[Image: jQxZb2T.jpg]

Persian Jar 1 in 3 band Super.

The tips should be soft and the 3 band has less backbone compared to the 2 band which translates into less feedback or resistance against the face.

Although the handle is a different shape, it is a similar size. It is very comfortable to hold and very useable both as a face or bowl lathering brush.

The knot is 2mm wider, but a similar loft to the Special and not as dense as a Chubby 1.

This brush is widely available and does carry the burden of extra investment or wait time associated with a bespoke or custom brush.

91 17,823
 10-17-2013, 12:08 PM
User Info
Try one of the smaller Savile Row brushes if you are looking for a small knot silvertip that has little to no scritch.

2 697