10-16-2013, 09:15 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
When people ask me what my hobbies are, I skirt the subject of our obsession. I just think it is too odd to consider a hobby. Who would understand?

How do you handle this?Blank

1 739
 10-16-2013, 09:25 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I tell them I am a product tester and in process of doing research for my thesis on addiction.....(sounds so much better)hahahahahahahBiggrin

6 1,913
 10-16-2013, 09:41 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I guess it depends who I'm talking to.

If it's a friend, I have no problem in telling them, as I usually do.

If it's just an acquaintance from work or something of the sort, I don't mention it ofter... but then again, I usually don't talk a lot about my personal life with people I do business with.

25 4,632
 10-16-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
I 'fess up cause I love seeing their reaction. Plus when people are over to visit they will see my brush collection and ask about it. Then I can pull out the razors and software. People really like smelling the soaps. But yes, there are definitely some funny looks initially. Fortunately the oddness of it is enough that it piques their interest and then they want to know a bit more.

31 7,912
 10-16-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
I'll mention that I collect vintage razors and use them. Occasionally I'll get a response about how my father, grandfather, uncle.... used to use a brush and soap.

On a few occasions there have been women who've noticed my aftershave and remarked about it. In either case, I will talk about shaving, but not in a didactic or preachy way.

It's all been good, but probably I'm viewed as a bit of an eccentric which is consistent with other non-shave parts of my life. It's really part of my charm.Biggrin

3 452
 10-16-2013, 10:42 AM
User Info
Don't consider it a hobby, really. It's more of a lifestyle.

The collection aspect would be a hobby, but I try not to collect too much stuff. Don't tell people about my straight razor collection unless they specifically ask.

9 2,988
 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I never mention it really, unless the subject of sub-par shaves and the whole cartridge fiasco comes up. Otherwise I just mention playing guitar, video games, reading, etc..shaving isn't really a "hobby" for me anymore.

31 1,510
 10-16-2013, 12:30 PM
User Info
I've mentioned it in seminars that I run. It always gets a chuckle or two when I tell them that shaving is actually enjoyable when done "right".

32 6,308
 10-16-2013, 12:31 PM
User Info
I loath to call shaving a hobby. i dont class it as one. its an everyday task which i spend more money on it than most average guys.

It's like calling a regular trip to the hair dresses a hobby because i spend the extra 30 quid to go to the posh place with the massage chairs.

1 171
 10-16-2013, 01:06 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Most of my friends know and some of my co workers I'm close to know also. I don't bring it up often though because it is so odd. I have converted three co workers to wet shaving though. It's nice because I can hook them up with free samples to get them started.

45 3,955
 10-16-2013, 01:45 PM
User Info
I am always enthusiastic about shaving and talk about it to whomever asks and is patient enough to listen! Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
(10-16-2013, 10:42 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Don't consider it a hobby, really. It's more of a lifestyle.

I'm not sure that would deflect the odd looks or nervous laughs. Imagine someone telling you that a 20 chore that everyone else does in 5 minutes is one's "lifestyle" choice or hobby.

I guess I'm just too insecure to be a traditional, addicted, wet-shaver.Facepalm

(10-16-2013, 01:45 PM)celestino Wrote: I am always enthusiastic about shaving and talk about it to whomever asks and is patient enough to listen! Biggrin

I forgot to mention that well-adjusted members need not respond!

1 739
 10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
User Info
(10-16-2013, 01:51 PM)Teddyboy Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 10:42 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Don't consider it a hobby, really. It's more of a lifestyle.

I'm not sure that would deflect the odd looks or nervous laughs. Imagine someone telling you that a 20 chore that everyone else does in 5 minutes is one's "lifestyle" choice or hobby.

I guess I'm just too insecure to be a traditional, addicted, wet-shaver.Facepalm

Biggrin Cool

Well, it's a lifestyle choice to us, and completely weird to most people who aren't in the know. It's kind of like a secret club. Like Freemasonry or whatnot. Biggrin

Okay, I just made that part up, but it's sort of true.

I still never bring it up as something I do. I do talk about it all the time since it's what I do for a living, but that kind of makes it really really easy to segueway into wet shaving if the person is really interested in it. Most people just go "cool", or "you mean like those old school X, Y, or Z" or "my dad/grandpa/great grandpa used to do it".

Hardly ever more than 2 sentences really.

9 2,988
 10-16-2013, 04:21 PM
User Info
I love talking about it to pretty much anyone who will listen!

I find more often than not I have a captive audience, but there are always those who look at me like I'm a little crazy.

Ah well. I leave the conversation content that I tried to help them, but they were too closed-minded.

0 29
 10-16-2013, 06:42 PM
User Info
I don't consider wet shaving a hobby. It's the pursuit of pleasure in what would otherwise be a mundane daily task.

15 762
 10-16-2013, 06:45 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm not afraid to deviate from the norm. In fact when it comes to shaving I celebrate my obsession and happily share with whoever is prepared to listen...

91 17,796
 10-17-2013, 08:36 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I love to talk about shaving with friends, family and co-workers...Everybody is different but most of my friends think I've gone over board with the quantity of shave items, but unanimously think everything is interesting and some aspects just plain cool...My family seems to be supportive when I show off new acquisitions...If they actually knew what has been spent, and the lengths I have gone to gather my collection of goods, I'm pretty sure they'd change from thinking it's just something I enjoy to thinking I'm "CooCoo" for Coco puffs or shaving supplies...At work people sometimes comment on my shave or how my aftershave/cologne smells...this usually opens to some sort of conversation regarding shaving and my obsession, hmmm I mean "hobby"...Sometimes coworkers are interested and sometimes mention something about Art of shaving and how they know what I'm talking about...other times people think its pointless and ask why would I want to spend so much time thinking about shaving? I tell people whom are interested that DE/Wet shaving is purely enjoyable, and transformed a pain in the neck necessity, into an enjoyable, fun, relaxing event throughout my daily lifeBiggrin

4 792
 10-19-2013, 03:34 AM
User Info
My friends know me well enough that when I get "hooked" on something it gets hard to talk with me on anything else... so on this one I made an effort not to bring it up unless we are really close to the subject.

On the other hand, my wife mentioned to her colleagues that I collect antique razors and they all thought it was cool.

This is more part of my daily hygiene rather a hobby actually...

6 808
 10-19-2013, 05:15 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(10-16-2013, 01:45 PM)celestino Wrote: I am always enthusiastic about shaving and talk about it to whomever asks and is patient enough to listen! Biggrin

Me too, my friend Biggrin

4 447
 10-19-2013, 05:52 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Hey I didn't get here from people being hush hush. Someone somewhere first wrote about wet shaving on the internet. SO THANKS to that guy whoever he is.... I share it with my family and friends and whenever the opportunity arrives I'll share with complete strangers. It's a lot like witnessing for GOD.... Especially at the shaving aisle in stores. I've preached the awesomeness of the wet shave to many a fella searching for the junk razors offered at the retail stores. A lot of them are standing there looking like they are cleaning the cats litter box. I'll say to myself, "Self, that guy looks like he could use some old time Wet Shave in his life". Then I jump into action. I'm the guy who tries to turn that frown upside down.... I turn them on to The Shave Nook and let them go from there. (I've been planning on printing some cards on my computer with the site on them just for those occasions. Just haven't got around to it. Something like Savage Joe - Wet Shaver and have the logo and site address on it. Plus I guess I should check with The Enabler to see if that would be OK). Some seem interested, some not so much. I guess they go away thinking "Who was that nut job with the handlebar mustache"...lol. If I've ever converted one stranger to wet shaving then I've done my job. At least they now have a seed planted. I have converted at least 5 friends and 3 family members. That's not because I've been silent. So GO FORTH AND SPREAD THE GOSPEL OF WET SHAVING my friends. It's all good.... AMEN AND HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151