10-17-2013, 08:31 AM
User Info
Does anyone remember reading about opening up the handle of a TTO for a closer shave? I think I saw it in a vintage Gillette instruction sheet, but I can't find it now. I also remember reading that other members did something similar, but guardedly. I tried this today with my 1940's Gillette SS. Normally it gives me a nice, effortless shave. But not truly a BSS. But today after two passes I turned the hand just a little (1/16 to 1/4 turn) to make it just a tad more aggressive, and then I proceed to "clean up." Wow, what a great result! Closest and best shave I've had in a while, and totally BSS! Of course, I was paranoid that loosening up would overly loosen and I would shred myself. So basically after each pass I checked to make sure it the slight turn was maintained. But no problem, no nicks, no weepers, and no irritation.

Has anyone else done this? And does anyone remember the source from the old instruction sheet?

0 77
 10-17-2013, 09:21 AM
User Info
I also remember some gentlemen saying that they had done this, but I don't remember where to find it.
Couldn't you just use a shim in your razor, instead, or get an adjustable? It may be a bit more prudent, but YMMV. Good luck with the shaves. Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-17-2013, 09:51 AM
User Info
This was in the instructions of the early Gillette TTO's. It said to loosen the handle a 1/16th of a turn. It came w/the same instructions that explained the Gillette slide.
I just cut the edges off an old blade and stick it under a new blade. Acts as a shim. Works great. Cheers. Semper-fi Mike

0 15
 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
@marine-mp, Thanks, I knew I read that somewhere. And I never knew what a shim was. Seems like that would work.

@celestino, I have an adjustable which is being cleaned up. But I think this recent shave, after making the adjustment, was even nicer.

0 77
 10-17-2013, 06:00 PM
User Info
(10-17-2013, 12:17 PM)Cirques Wrote: @celestino, I have an adjustable which is being cleaned up. But I think this recent shave, after making the adjustment, was even nicer.

* Wow! That is surprising. Which adjustable do you have? The Progress is a fantastic shaver if you haven't tried it, yet.
Have you tried a shim in any of your razors, yet? I would try this in the razor you are enjoying to see what happens. Good luck. Smile

75 20,883
 10-17-2013, 06:38 PM
User Info
I have a Fat Boy. A great razor, and I usually shave on setting 5, which is nice.
But I sent it out to be cleaned up. I have ever tried the progress although I heard good things. As for the shim, its funny until marine mentioned it, I had only read the term in passing and didn't really know what it was. I will have my first "shim" shave tomorrow morning Smile

Celestino, I'm now reading up and I now see that you enlightened a few shavers about a year ago to the shim. Cool! Btw, a technical question, but one person stressed the importance of trimming the shim close to the blade. I didn't really think about it. The TTO's have a rectangle that raises when the bottom is turned, so basically I sort of matched that piece (although hardly very exact). Does it matter?

0 77
 10-18-2013, 08:51 AM
User Info
No, I don't think it really matters as the shim just helps increase the blade gap allowing for a bit more 'aggression'; sort of like a manual adjustable. Biggrin
Good luck with the shim!

75 20,883
 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM
User Info
I've done the partial turn to increase the gap between the blade and safety bar. It works, and I had the same result you did, but I also didn't like it because of the possibility that it could loosen even more. I did as you did also... by checking it frequently. I was fairly nervous about it and after a few tries with it I gave it up.

I don't believe it gave me a better shave than a Gillette adjustable set to 9, but it's been years since I've done it. I've done the loosening bit with the Slim set to 9 also.

I even shimmed a Muhle '11 R41 just to see what that was like. FWIW, I didn't see much if any difference if I remember correctly so I removed the shims after 1 full pass.

32 6,309
 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM
User Info
Brian, I remember your experiment and you are a brave man, indeed! Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-18-2013, 09:13 PM
User Info
Well, not really. I figured how much more aggressive could it be?

32 6,309
 10-20-2013, 05:22 AM
User Info
Why not just buy an adjustable? It would still secure the blade and reduce the risk of cutting yourself.

2 396