04-21-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
Has anyone noticed how much attetion brushes receive on this forum?
Perhaps it's The Shave Nook's destiny to become the authority on shaving brushes. Maybe management should consider this.

Interviews, articles, instruction, history, etc The go to place when you need info on brushes. Interviews with a well known manufacture like ShaveMac, Simpson or Kent would be cool. Articles or interviews with custom brush makers. The hows and whys. etc.

On a forum topic related note, I've used my new Vie-Long "Zurito" horse hair brush a couple of times and can't get over how soft it is. It handles hard soaps nicely and is a great cream brush. A bit lofty, but seems stiff enough not to flop.

[Image: Vie_02.jpg]
The loft is a bit high, but has some backbone

The handle is very comfortable and has a nice weight, plus it's nice to look at and is a welcomed addition to all the white handles on my shelf. I'm enjoying the brush, so it's getting broken in rather fast. Where's the scritch? No scritch whatsoever. The softness still amazes me and I think how soft it will become after it's fully broken in. My only worry is that it may become floppy over time, but only time and use will tell.

[Image: Vie_03.jpg]
The brush lathers creams very well and can handle hard soaps rather well

If, in time, the bristles flop, I know I have an excellent handle for a new knot. Overall, the brush was well worth the sale price at BGS.

[Image: Vie_01.jpg]
The knot is dense, but not fully packed

Edit: Added photos

9 451
 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM
User Info
Congrats Johnny on a great brush. I agree completely with you regarding the handle. Unfortunately though, I found it to be very prickly on my face & it gave me brush burn. I do like to use some pressure when I lather which is what made the pricklier hairs noticeable. So while many find this brush to be very soft I ended up trading mine away. I wanted to love it & it's got great quality all about it, but my face just said no to it. I hope it serves your well for many years to come!

31 7,914
 04-21-2012, 12:11 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
This forum is very brush centric. I think that's due to most other forums it's 95% badger discussion, 5% other. This forum has much more even discussion on boar, badger, horse and synthetic which I like. Though I use badger mostly (though recently jumped into boar due to this forum), it's really neat to read about all the stuff I'm not as familiar with.

0 353
 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM
User Info
you can't have a vie-long thread with no pics.....where is the bloom shot and lather shot?

i had to google it to see what brush it is Rolleyes only to find out i've been eyeing it as well.

i'd like the natural hair version from G&C, but the died from BG is the one i've been looking at...as well as the 2 band badger

stock photo:
[Image: yhst-16445739206724_2201_32051121]

8 2,718
 04-21-2012, 12:27 PM
User Info
How could I not post a photo! lol
I didn't plan on using it, so I didn't think about it. I wish I had a shot before I used it. I'll get a shot today. Sorry about not including a photo.

9 451
 04-21-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
I will be trying the one I received this week for the first time tomorrow. It is really a good looking brush, just like the stock photo above.

1 2,827
 04-21-2012, 12:59 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
It is great all brushes are openly discussed here. When I first started shaving I thought badger was the only brush to use.

Last August, I added a Omega 48, it is a great brush. Recently I have added a Semogue and Vulfix boars. I be adding more Semogue and Vulfix boars to my den.

The BAD, for Semogue is all Johnny's fault.Biggrin

1 3,507
 04-21-2012, 01:26 PM
User Info
Congrats on the new brush. i have been waiting to try a horse-hair brush for a little while now.

75 20,883
 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
The Zurito was my first horse hair brush and it made such a good impression that I went on to purchase the two Beehive LE brushes in horsehair.

29 1,731
 04-21-2012, 08:54 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
The Zurito really is a fantastic brush. It was my third brush and first horse hair. So far out of the brushes I've tried, if I had to only use one brush, the Zurito would be it. The handle design is beautiful and comfortable. The knot is not overly dense, and the tips are really very soft. It's the only brush I have that I would consider getting a second of. I've been eyeing the LE Beehive in dyed horse as an alternate.

35 1,732
 04-21-2012, 09:39 PM
User Info
I wish I would have tried horse a while ago, I think it makes a great brush. I don't see myself using badger any time soon. However, I did buy a few brushes and want to give them a test drive some time soon. The Omega Scarlatti (boar) is next, after that, the Vulfix Grosvener (boar/badger), then back to the Vie-Long LE (horse/badger).

I can see myself buying that Muhle Fiber brush before the end of next week. I've been scratching my chin over it for a few days now. Hmm

9 451
 04-22-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
how does the NATURAL BROWN hair differ from the BLEACHED/DYED hair?

8 2,718
 04-22-2012, 06:01 AM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 05:50 AM)brucered Wrote: how does the NATURAL BROWN hair differ from the BLEACHED/DYED hair?

Different mane/tail ratio (35/65 or 65/35) makes it firmer than the dyed versions which have a 50/50 ratio.

31 7,914
 04-22-2012, 06:02 AM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 06:01 AM)SharpSpine Wrote:
(04-22-2012, 05:50 AM)brucered Wrote: how does the NATURAL BROWN hair differ from the BLEACHED/DYED hair?

Different mane/tail ratio (35/65 or 65/35) makes it firmer than the dyed versions which have a 50/50 ratio.

thanks, i just noticed that in the descriptions.

so is there any difference in the actual softness of the tips or hair? i'm wondering if the bleaching/dying does anything to the hair.

8 2,718
 04-22-2012, 06:10 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I now have V-L Beehive LEs in both dyed and un-dyed horse hair and love 'em both. For what it's worth, the dyed versions have a little less backbone. For the money, these HH brushes are hard to beat and to me, bridge boar and badger nicely.

35 2,703
 04-22-2012, 08:07 AM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 06:10 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I now have V-L Beehive LEs in both dyed and un-dyed horse hair and love 'em both. For what it's worth, the dyed versions have a little less backbone. For the money, these HH brushes are hard to beat and to me, bridge boar and badger nicely.

thanks....i'm looking at all 3 now....horse natural, horse died and horse/badger mix.

trying to decide.

8 2,718
 04-22-2012, 08:59 AM
User Info
(04-22-2012, 08:07 AM)brucered Wrote:
(04-22-2012, 06:10 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I now have V-L Beehive LEs in both dyed and un-dyed horse hair and love 'em both. For what it's worth, the dyed versions have a little less backbone. For the money, these HH brushes are hard to beat and to me, bridge boar and badger nicely.

thanks....i'm looking at all 3 now....horse natural, horse died and horse/badger mix.

trying to decide.

The horse/badger mix LE has a rather short loft; which makes it pretty stiff and a little rough. I don't mind it because sometimes I go several days without shaving and that brush has no problem getting through heavy growth to lift the hairs. Horse isn't a rough bristle, so the LE mix brush could have been a much softer combination.

If boar is on the left and badger is on the right, I would place horse to the right of center in terms of softness.

9 451
 04-23-2012, 04:01 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Zurito is great! Works so well with my bowl lathering tendencies yet as mentioned, still has some backbone.
I love it so much so that I've added 2 more horse brushes, the Vie Long Bullgoose LE Natural and the Vie Long Peleon.

I love em' all. The only oddity and not such a big deal with the Zurito is that, over time, some of the shorter hairs are curling up after the brush dries. Again, not a big deal, just something that I haven't yet seen with badger or boar nor do I see with the natural horse brushes.

6 905
 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM
User Info
(04-23-2012, 04:01 AM)EHV Wrote: The only oddity and not such a big deal with the Zurito is that, over time, some of the shorter hairs are curling up after the brush dries. Again, not a big deal, just something that I haven't yet seen with badger or boar nor do I see with the natural horse brushes.

I noticed this as well just last night. The problem that made it a big deal for me was that it made a small knot that I had to pick out with a comb. I hang my brushes, so I have no idea what caused it. Very odd indeed.

9 451
 04-23-2012, 03:45 PM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
I love the handle on those! I've got one of the horse/badger mix... not to fond of it. Going to have to go for the silver tip.

53 555