04-21-2012, 11:25 AM
User Info
So after going awhile without really wearing cologne much I've all of a sudden gone on a stinky spree. It all started when organizing my shave kit & I located a forgotten bottle of Armani Code. My go-to cologne lately has been CO Bigelow Elixir Black (got it with a tube of Bigelow cream when I started traditional shaving) but I really appreciate the Code as a more complex scent. Then yesterday while at the mall I found a cologne that I wore a couple years ago on clearance, Kenneth Cole Black.

So I now have a few scents with a woodsy & leather base with tops of citrus & even some mint. So I was doomed today when shopping & my wife saw a great deal on a perfume that she's been wanting to replenish for 2 years but couldn't justify the price. Well the deal involved getting a second scent which I ended up with. I got a lighter scent which I'll have to describe later. It's from Karen Low & it's called 37 degrees Blue.

So it appears that I'll now be stinking it up pretty nicely for the next year or two. Anyone else out there gone through a scent resurgence?

31 7,914
 04-21-2012, 12:26 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I definitely have. I had been slowly making my way through an older B&BW branded spray called Mountain Frost when I bothered to wear cologne, or Drakkar Noir or Polo when we went out for dates and such.

I didn't really use any aftershave most of the time, just Nivea sensitive now and then.

Then wet shaving came along. At first I had the predictable newbie razor burn, but didn't want to skip days to heal. So I needed to actually take care of it and started investigating my options. Which led to scent discussions and actual pondering.

So now I have a couple of new aftershave options, 3 Bigelow Elixirs for "daily drivers," and a short list of other scents to pick up when I can justify the expense. The wife and I both liked Polo Double Black and Ed Hardy Love and Luck, but $70 for a bottle of cologne is not something I can do on a whim. Smile Makes a good wishlist item, though.

I'm interested in trying a classic Italian colonia. The description is intriguing, and I really like RazoRock XXX, which is basically a colonia scented soap. So I need to find one that's interesting but not $200/bottle.

10 1,858
 04-21-2012, 12:28 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Actually, my resurgence happened quite a few years ago. I had used scents and then decided I would prefer not using them. After a while, though, and especially when I took up wet shaving, I went back to scents in a big way and now don't think a shave is complete without a splash of something nice smelling. Biggrin

2 11,211
 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I have actually kind of fallen off the scent AD over the past year after accumulating about 100 or so different frags. My scent wardrobe is on basenotes and is fairly up to date. When basenotes is actually working and accessible you can find it by searching for daccpa (same username as here). If I could access Basenotes right now I'd include the link for you.

I do usually wear an EDT most every day but I tend to rotate between about 15 to 20 or so favorites.

There is another local fraghead that I have met that has a fragrance blog at http://notablescents.net/. He returned from France a few months ago with a suitcase full of new and exotic bottles. Quite a knowledgeable fellow.

18 281
 04-21-2012, 04:28 PM
User Info
 04-26-2012, 10:37 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I was on the Basenotes forum for several years.
I had a serious AD with fragrances for quite some time.

Ultimately, I have a fridge in the bedroom and sadly.... it doesn't contain beer. Confused

I could probably go half a year between available bottles and samples so yes......I am guilty of polluting the air on a daily basis.

6 905
 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have always just used after shaves. No stinky stuff for me. Biggrin

173 23,546
 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 12:26 PM)Songwind Wrote: I'm interested in trying a classic Italian colonia. The description is intriguing, and I really like RazoRock XXX, which is basically a colonia scented soap. So I need to find one that's interesting but not $200/bottle.

I picked up a bottle of Acqua Classica Borsari after reading about it in a thread on here (I think). It was ~$30 shipped. I like it quite a bit. I don't know how it compares to other Italian colonias.

4 112
 05-03-2012, 04:56 AM
User Info
I have gone most of my life without really using any colognes or even as. Of course, getting into wet shaving has made me a changed man. I have all the usual Clubman as's, as well as a hefty collection of Bay Rum. I also just recently bought the Bath House Spanish Fig & Nut cologne sight unseen from Phil over at BullGoose. Aside from the always fantastic service, I really like the scent. As a real plus, my wife is really digging the new me, and has, so far, turned a blind eye to my recent expenditures...

0 33
 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I had my first hit of Floid Vigoroso this morning. NICE!

10 1,858
 05-03-2012, 05:31 AM
  • Leon
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I think most of us who didn't care much for colognes will start to pay more attention to scents once we dive into wet-shaving. I think we develop some kind of taste and begin to understand the different kinds of scents and which work on you and those who don't.

Enjoy!

4 313