10-18-2013, 04:05 PM
  • Westaway
  • Lawrenceville, GA
User Info
51 years ago, I was in Nassau and purchased my first brush in a small import store. I didn't really know anything about Boar vs. Badger. It looked nice, but more importantly it was within my limited budget. My son inherited it about five years ago along with my (Dad's) old Butterfly Gillette. 1962 had no internet, no shave forums, just whatever was passed down from fathers and grandfathers. The local drugstore was a Rexall and had some cheaper shaving soap pucks and mugs. Now that I know what had been available out there, I wish that I could have given a birthday gift or two back to my Dad and upgraded his shaving experience. I know he would have loved Simpson and Muhle and Tabac. I can remember when he purchased a fancy type plug-in heater that would warm up his spray can of Gillette Shaving Foam. What excitement, but I don't remember the appliance lasting very long as a bathroom fixture. I wish I knew more about the razor also, my son promises to bring it over soon so I can take better pictures and copy some of the imprinting under the head. If anyone can shed light on what the origins of this brush might be I would love to know. Dad's razor was of course a Gillette Super Speed.....

[Image: 2D2Ocaq.jpg]

0 34
 10-18-2013, 05:39 PM
User Info
Welcome to the forum!

I am not positive about this, but the brush seems to have the typical ring that is prominent on many of the Portuguese Semogue brushes. Maybe it is an older version of the Semogue 1470.
Good luck with the search. Smile

74 20,808
 10-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree with Celestino, looks like an early Semogue. I bet Emanuel will know when he sees this.

173 23,296
 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
WOW 51 years. The knot looks like it's in pretty good shape too...

5 1,151
 10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I myself had one of those plug-in foam can heater appliances. Lasted about two or three shaves.

4 2,004
 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM
User Info
(10-18-2013, 06:20 PM)Johnny Wrote: I agree with Celestino, looks like an early Semogue. I bet Emanuel will know when he sees this.

Well... it is difficult to tell. A lot of old Portuguese brush makers (including Semogue) used that distinctive metal ring. Decades ago, there were lots of brushmakers in Portugal (Joanfer, Raro, Fapil, etc...). Lots of them disappeared along the years, and some still exist today, although they don't make shaving brushes any-more.

But there were a lot of brushmakers from another countries that used that distinctive metal ring. That was very common amongst lots of German brushmakers, like Mühle or Viktoria...

So, it is impossible to tell for sure, at least for me, if that brush is a Semogue or even another Portuguese brush...

2 5,511