10-20-2013, 06:11 AM
User Info
Anybody tried one of these? How does the hair compare vs regular Rooney Super/Silvertip as sold through T&H or vintage blades? Especially interested in the softness of the tips.
Thanks!

31 1,554
 10-21-2013, 12:13 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(10-20-2013, 06:11 AM)German Wrote: Anybody tried one of these? How does the hair compare vs regular Rooney Super/Silvertip as sold through T&H or vintage blades? Especially interested in the softness of the tips.
Thanks!
bump. I'm interested in the answer myself.

5 2,006
 10-21-2013, 12:18 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(10-21-2013, 12:13 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 06:11 AM)German Wrote: Anybody tried one of these? How does the hair compare vs regular Rooney Super/Silvertip as sold through T&H or vintage blades? Especially interested in the softness of the tips.
Thanks!
bump. I'm interested in the answer myself.
+1

25 4,635
 10-21-2013, 01:19 PM
User Info
Thanks!

Confused as to what the difference you are seeing is as the description calls it: "Super Silvertip Three Band Badger"

9 2,988
 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM
User Info
Well, we all know that 3 band does not equal 3 band and there is quite a variation even in batches from the same manufacturer. I am specially fond of the "original" 3 band heritage brushes Rooney produced ahead of the 2 Band line. That was quite a different hair from current 3 Band Silvertip. Hence, I try to gauge how this "new" 3 Band Heritage hair compares to the regular Rooney Silvertip. That is all...
(10-21-2013, 01:19 PM)asharperrazor Wrote:
Thanks!

Confused as to what the difference you are seeing is as the description calls it: "Super Silvertip Three Band Badger"

31 1,554
 10-21-2013, 04:39 PM
User Info
These are not the old-style silvertip you are lusting for by any means.

Knots are chubby-dense
Tips are soft with some light scritch
Hair is rather thick

(10-21-2013, 03:05 PM)German Wrote: Well, we all know that 3 band does not equal 3 band and there is quite a variation even in batches from the same manufacturer. I am specially fond of the "original" 3 band heritage brushes Rooney produced ahead of the 2 Band line. That was quite a different hair from current 3 Band Silvertip. Hence, I try to gauge how this "new" 3 Band Heritage hair compares to the regular Rooney Silvertip. That is all...
Thanks!

8 124
 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM
User Info
Thanks, yellafella. That is what I thought....

31 1,554
 10-22-2013, 11:01 PM
User Info
(10-21-2013, 03:05 PM)German Wrote: Well, we all know that 3 band does not equal 3 band and there is quite a variation even in batches from the same manufacturer. I am specially fond of the "original" 3 band heritage brushes Rooney produced ahead of the 2 Band line. That was quite a different hair from current 3 Band Silvertip. Hence, I try to gauge how this "new" 3 Band Heritage hair compares to the regular Rooney Silvertip. That is all...
Thanks!

I thought these were the same ones at Vintage. I was mistaken, makes sense now.

9 2,988
 10-28-2013, 05:00 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The first and second generation Rooney Heritage brushes were and still are in a league of their own...

91 17,823
 10-28-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
I'm tempted to make this somewhat off-topic post because I see Lee of WSP in the thread and the gauntlet laid down by Ben: "The first and second generation Rooney Heritage brushes were and still are in a league of their own..."

I am quite impressed by the brush I made from WSP's Superfine 2 band (handle assembled from vintage catalin) on the recommendation of Celestino:

[Image: j8vqREa.jpg]

The measurements are 27.5mm knot with 53.5mm loft. It exhibits the gel-tips phenomenon even more so than the WSP Mountain Manchurian yet has not shown any hooking. It is about equal in density to my Simpson 2 band Tulip 3--dense but not in WSP Mountain Manchurian or Chubby Best territory. So probably less dense than the upscale Rooneys.

So my question is this: What is it that makes these 1st/2nd gen Heritage so special? I have a Simpson E1 2 band that performs a lot like a good Rooney Finest from all I can glean from extensive reading. The WSP Superfine has good backbone and gel-like (but non-hooked/barbed) tips. Thanks for any thoughts. And bravo, Lee!

1 255
 10-29-2013, 04:43 AM
User Info
In regards to the original batches of Rooney Heritage knots that posses the famed "gel tips" which I've previously owned on 2 occasions, I think the like Ben, these are truly in a league of their own...

BUT, in the sense that, they are a highly UNIQUE feeling grade of hair that have since, never been truly matched.. other batches of 2 band knots have come close, including some Thaters and Simpson 2 band brushes that I have experienced, that developed a similar hooked and crusted tips but even still, not at the level of the older Heritage 2 band hair.

All that said, I don't feel the original batches of Heritage hair is by ANY means "superior" to other grades offered now or since but I get the impression some may mistaken others affection for this ledgendary grade to mean just that.

Ultimately, the only thing that can't be denied, is that they were UNIQUE... some treasure those unique qualities and others like myself, found them overrated over time and use.. so oh yeah, I guess you can say, YMMV..

64 796
 10-29-2013, 08:26 AM
User Info
(10-28-2013, 07:40 PM)ntr(nwu) Wrote: I'm tempted to make this somewhat off-topic post because I see Lee of WSP in the thread and the gauntlet laid down by Ben: "The first and second generation Rooney Heritage brushes were and still are in a league of their own..."

I am quite impressed by the brush I made from WSP's Superfine 2 band (handle assembled from vintage catalin) on the recommendation of Celestino:

The measurements are 27.5mm knot with 53.5mm loft. It exhibits the gel-tips phenomenon even more so than the WSP Mountain Manchurian yet has not shown any hooking. It is about equal in density to my Simpson 2 band Tulip 3--dense but not in WSP Mountain Manchurian or Chubby Best territory. So probably less dense than the upscale Rooneys.

So my question is this: What is it that makes these 1st/2nd gen Heritage so special? I have a Simpson E1 2 band that performs a lot like a good Rooney Finest from all I can glean from extensive reading. The WSP Superfine has good backbone and gel-like (but non-hooked/barbed) tips. Thanks for any thoughts. And bravo, Lee!

* My goodness, that is one sweet brush with incredible colours! I am glad you are enjoying the knot! Biggrin

75 20,883