Poll: Head shavers - where do you shave?
In the shower
At the sink Somewhere else (if so, where??)
 10-20-2013, 08:02 AM
User Info
I've only recently started shaving my head. I don't have to do it, as I still have a full head of hair, but I've always liked cropping my hair short, and this was the obvious next step (a shaved head).

----------

Anyway, I've done it thrice now, but I still cannot figure out where would be be best to do it.

In the shower would be the most logical, but I don't have a mirror there, so I'd have to do it blind. I tried that and found it harder to do than I thought.

So, I've shaved it at the sink, but that is messy.

I'm sure things will get easier as my skills improve, but I was wondering where habitual head-shavers shave their heads.

Let us know......

37 1,731
 10-20-2013, 10:08 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I know longer shave my head but last year when I was in the police academy I had to shave it every day. I shaved at the sink in front of the mirror and used a hand held mirror to get the back.

I used the Gillette Guard. I tried using everything you can think of but the Guard makes head shaving so easy. You could complete a whole head shave without rinsing the razor. It never gets clogged.

45 3,955
 10-20-2013, 11:46 AM
User Info
I've also thought of getting a cartridge razor for this part of my shave. I've tried a DE, an injector, and a SE razor. The GEM 1912 seems to have worked the best of the three I've tried. I thought the injector would be best, but something about the head geometry seems to make it hard for me to use on my head.

37 1,731
 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
I've been shaving my head for about 13 years, always at the sink right after my face shave, same lather (MWF and Stirling work best for me) usually every day, but sometimes I'll skip a day or two. I use straights on my face, and a Gillette Fusion on my dome, works like a charm. If I miss a few days on my head, I'll crank up an electric to buzz it down then finish with the Fusion.

17 544
 10-20-2013, 01:14 PM
User Info
I have never tried it, so good luck to you, Yohann!

75 20,884
 10-20-2013, 01:38 PM
User Info
I've had pattern baldness for more years than I can remember, and I just started shaving my head. I always kept it buzz cut with clippers but I figured I would get a few more shaves out of a blade by shaving my head as well.

I'm shaving in the shower without a mirror. I purchased a shower shut off valve from Home Depot and I just use my hand to feel where the stubble needs to come off.

You have to be careful head shaving in the shower because if you lower your head the soap has a tendency to run into your eyes. Stings like hell so just keep that in mind.

I usually wear a ball cap outside and the first thing I noticed was my hat kept falling down now that there was no stubble to hold it up anymore! LOL

0 74
 10-20-2013, 07:37 PM
User Info
(10-20-2013, 01:38 PM)AKASL Wrote: I usually wear a ball cap outside and the first thing I noticed was my hat kept falling down now that there was no stubble to hold it up anymore! LOL

* This is quite amusing and had never thought about it. Maybe I won't shave my head just yet, then. Biggrin

75 20,884
 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM
User Info
I use a 1914 EverReady on my bean and a JA Henkles straight on my chin most days. I stand at a sink and use a 6' dia. mirror on a swivel. The mirror is not big enough to see my hole face so I just use it to make sure I have rinsed off all of the soap when I have finnished shaving. Its all about the feel, you need to feel the shave more then you need to see the shave.

0 6
 12-17-2013, 06:53 AM
User Info
I shave my head every time that I shave my face, about every 2-3 days. I use the HeadBlade ATX on my head and it works out great. Never any cuts and a nice close 2 pass shave. I start out lathering both my face and head but only shave my head. Repeat lather for the second pass ATG on my head, and then do a three pass shave on my face with the first pass a single blade cartridge,(Gillette Guard), then two passes with a Gillette fusion razor. So I use three razors but this seems to work out the best for me.

18 201
 09-04-2014, 10:08 AM
User Info
Been shaving my head clean now for exactly a year and a half. Pretty much, 3 months after my daughter was born. I couldn't take my hairline going back further nor the thinning. I told myself I'm either going accept it or be disappointed when I look in the mirror. I decided to accept going bald by "becoming" bald and went BBC. Never looked back and my wife and many others said that is your look.

I always had facial hair, but wanted to grow a beard to see how that would look. Between that and shaving my own head, it's the most liberating feeling I have ever experienced.

Use to shave in the shower, but now I enjoy my personal time at the sink either with some Jazz music in the background or the melody of the stubble being snipped.

I just got into using a safety razor for my head. Formerly, I was using a couple of Trac II handles that took twin blade cartridges. DE shaving now on the head though, it's like experiencing adulthood, allover again. Love it!

1 1,975
 09-04-2014, 10:43 AM
User Info
When I was shaving my head I used an OCMM at the sink. Obviously I could see part of my head, the rest where I couldn't see I did by feel.

32 6,312
 09-04-2014, 10:28 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
At the sink before the mirror everyday, I use either (in order of preference) a Feather DX, a straight or a Joris DE.

27 1,299
 09-05-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
I shave my head at the sink when I shave my face. I use a Merkur 23C on my head, but use other razors for my face that are more aggressive. I get a nice shave in 2 passes on my head, as well as my face. I used to 3 passes but found its not needed.

2 51
 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM
User Info
I've been shaving my head with a Merkur DE since I bought it new, 8 months now. I don't use a mirror to see behind me, but rely on feel.

I don't shave in the shower because I feel good about taking time to shave while still conserving water. Yes, it makes a mess on the sink area, but I dedicate one of the hand towels for cleaning up the area after my shaves.

For 6 years prior to wet shaving, I shaved my head daily with a nice Braun electric shaver, enough to learn so much about the direction of my stubble growth that I didn't need to use a mirror to see the back of my head when I started wet shaving.

0 1
 09-08-2014, 09:15 PM
User Info
I shave my head every morning at the sink in a few minutes and then follow with my face ending with a shower. I used to head shave in the shower without mirror, by finger touch, but now find it easier and less messy at the sink.
When you get used to it becomes part of your daily routine added to the great pleasure of wet shaving.

0 89