10-20-2013, 08:11 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Does anyone really use Google Plus? I remember when it came out a few years ago but do not really hear much about it at all these days. I have a few google+ accounts (I keep forgetting passwords) but am not sure if it is worthwhile to invest any time in it.

What are your thoughts?

45 15,947
 10-20-2013, 09:18 AM
User Info
I think it was DOA.

15 762
 10-20-2013, 10:46 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I don't use it. I just don't get its utility or where it adds value. Then again, I don't use Facebook so I may not be the most social network savvy user out in the ether.

27 859
 10-20-2013, 10:57 AM
  • Deco
  • シングルエッジ
  • Rocky Mountains
User Info
(10-20-2013, 08:11 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Does anyone really use Google Plus?
I don't know anybody that uses it.

1 239
 10-20-2013, 11:20 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It seems I'm signed up on it but only due to my youtube subscription. They use the same user name and password.

173 23,290
 10-20-2013, 11:22 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I use it a little. I know many authors that use it. The ways I see it used most is with Google+ Hangouts. I just don't have a whole lot of use for it right now. It is a lot more than just a social media platform that's for sure.

I've discovered this website if you think you want to dig deeper into it and see what it is really all about.

14 1,177
 10-20-2013, 11:41 AM
User Info
I use it to follow some tech groups, and also to share pics of my wife and kids with other members of my family that I don't want universal access to. I think it is a better social network than Facebook......conceptually. Better organization and a clearer privacy policy.

However, that's like saying Windows Phone 8 is a better smartphone system than iOS and Android. From a technological standpoint, it is. However, the fact that it is used by a pretty small proportion of the US population (the biggest app market), makes it hard to get apps written for it, which makes adoption slow.

Similarly, Google+ may have advantages over Facebook, but since everyone's on Facebook, nobody is migrating to Google+.

I'll have to point out that social media - Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, etc. are wasted on me. I use them sparingly, but I don't care for them. I'd rather spend my time with a good book, or my family, or out in the woods. Can't say the same for my daughter, though.

My wife and daughter talk about FOMO - 'Fear of Missing out' as being the reason why they spend so much time on social media.

I recently finished a book by an author who lived in the area near here about a century ago. The book is 'We took to the woods', and the author is Louise Dickinson Rich. She describes her life in the woods in Maine, after having lived most of her life in the Boston area. It's pretty cool. At the end of the book, she asks herself if it was worthwhile - losing touch with people and society a bit. To quote her, 'Discontent is only the fear of missing something. Content is the knowledge that you aren't missing a thing worth-while.'

FOMO existed a century ago too. Biggrin

37 1,731
 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM
User Info
Phil, I hadn't even heard about it until you reading this thread.
As Yohann quotes that very intelligent author, I see myself in the very same way as I don't use any social networking site, except shaving forums if that counts! Biggrin

74 20,793
 10-20-2013, 01:24 PM
User Info
nope. I have it disabled (I think) and don't want anyone knowing or seeing my pics, where I am and following me around.

8 2,718
 10-20-2013, 01:25 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I look on Facebook a couple times a week. Never check Google+.

Some things Google just makes it don't work for me. Google+ is one of them.

44 1,333
 10-20-2013, 02:46 PM
User Info
Not really. I've used the chat function a few times via my mobile phone.

9 2,987
 10-20-2013, 06:40 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I'm not on Facebook ... Google+ is not even on my radar in terms of 'interweb' applications!

102 17,574
 10-20-2013, 09:53 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
the former coticule forum that became Artisanshaving is now on G+

but since I don't like G+ (or twitter, Facebook, ....) I don't go there.

26 1,245
 10-25-2013, 08:35 AM
User Info
I think you might get more use out of pinterest than google+ these days.

google + started out nicely like Yohann mentioned previously, but it's been kind of forgotten about lately.

40 5,830
 10-28-2013, 11:54 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I use G+ more than Facebook, because FB annoys the crap out of me. I also like the guys that make up the Traditional Shaving group there.

Similarly, there are some very knowledgeable and interactive people in the writing groups there as well.

10 1,858
 10-28-2013, 01:16 PM
User Info
I check G+ multiple times a day. I also use Facebook, but have mostly quit using Twitter in favor of G+. It's the easiest/best way to chat about my interests (as distinct from Facebook, which is the easiest/best way to stay in touch with friends and family).

0 23
 10-28-2013, 05:44 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I'm active on g+
It's easier to connect with people sharing interests there than in fb - less noise.

2 447