10-20-2013, 02:32 PM
User Info
Which one do you guys prefer? I have a Semogue 1305, but am not getting favorable lathers with it. I'm wondering what your opinions would be as far as buying an Omega? What should I get? I have no direction on where I should go.

2 396
 10-20-2013, 02:42 PM
User Info
So cheap, get both.

9 2,988
 10-20-2013, 02:43 PM
User Info
(10-20-2013, 02:32 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote: Which one do you guys prefer? I have a Semogue 1305, but am not getting favorable lathers with it. I'm wondering what your opinions would be as far as buying an Omega? What should I get? I have no direction on where I should go.

I have a B&B Essential brush made by Omega and sold by West Coast Shaving that I love. I'm a newbie of a couple of months but can say it's a great one. That said, I was planning on getting the Italian Barber version of the 1305 because of the positive reviews and the fact that I don't want a high dollar brush just yet. Are you sure it's the brush and not the soap or technique? It took me a while to get the hang of it with Proraso green. It was Mantic's videos on YouTube that helped me hone my skills.
IronMike

0 47
 10-20-2013, 02:59 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
I've only had one Semogue and it was okay but I sold it. I have used Omega brushes for years, mostly boars and I've always been impressed by build , performance and value.

Omega has a large variety of boar brushes. From the large Professional series to smaller home use. High lofts and short endless handle designs and knot sizes. Look at vendor inventory or Omega's website and get an idea about what brush will best suit your needs.

With Omega boars the break in is significant. The more you use the brush the more the tips splay creating a very soft brush that to me excels with soap more than creams. But you have to be patient and let the brush break in , after that you'll really enjoy it.

15 541
 10-20-2013, 03:00 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'm a big fan of Semogue and I've had several. My favorite boars are their 1800 and 1438. However, I would like to try an Omega boar and a Vulvix. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

45 3,955
 10-20-2013, 03:29 PM
User Info
I've had a lot of Semogue and Omega boar brushes. They're similar, but different.

The Semogue boar bristles seem to have less backbone, and their knots splay a lot (I call it the Semogue Splay). This makes for a very luxurious feel on the face, but also makes them a bit large on the face.

The Omega knots are taller, and have more backbone, so they're not as densely packed as the Semogue ones. However, they splay a lot less, giving you more control.

I like them both, and personally wouldn't be without my Omega Pro 10098 or my Semogue 2000. Those are my favourite boar brushes from each brand. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the Omega Pro over the 2000, but it would be a close call.

Note that even the smaller Semogue knots will fan out quite a bit.

Finally, you should be able to get great lathers from any of these brushes, including the 1305. If you're having problems with it, you'll probably find that you'll have problems with the Omegas as well. Spend some time working on your technique. Try more product and then build up the lather slowly. That should work. The differences between the two brands have to do with feel, not efficacy.

37 1,731
 10-20-2013, 04:06 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I'd have to say Semogue, absolutely.

Buy a Semogue SOC Boar, as it's great for bowl and face lathering, and works perfectly with hard soaps as well as creams.

It's pretty much the only boar brush you'll ever need, IMHO.

Regards.

25 4,637
 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM
User Info
(10-20-2013, 03:29 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: Spend some time working on your technique. Try more product and then build up the lather slowly. That should work. The differences between the two brands have to do with feel, not efficacy.

Great advice, here! How long have you had the 1305?

75 20,883
 10-21-2013, 02:15 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've noticed the difference in splay also, along with longevity. The Omega knots, IMHO, are better while Semogue has the advantage in handles and since the knots are the business end I prefer Omega.

5 2,006
 10-21-2013, 03:18 AM
User Info
A Semogue 1305 should be delivering great lathers for you. Something is not right. Is the 1305 new?

3 285
 10-21-2013, 04:19 AM
User Info
I would go with the Semogues (especially the 1305)...used Semogues for years with great results. No plastic handles; excellent craftsmanship, great boar bristles...dollar for dollar the best on the market (IMHO).

Ed

19 697
 10-21-2013, 05:07 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Semogue are the best brushes around. The 1305 specifically is great for beginners.

Maybe your brush is diryt, try cleaning it. Shave brushes DO need to be clean every other month to stay 100%... Shy

I use commom dish soap, works great..

4 447
 10-21-2013, 05:51 AM
User Info
(10-20-2013, 03:29 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I've had a lot of Semogue and Omega boar brushes. They're similar, but different.

The Semogue boar bristles seem to have less backbone, and their knots splay a lot (I call it the Semogue Splay). This makes for a very luxurious feel on the face, but also makes them a bit large on the face.

The Omega knots are taller, and have more backbone, so they're not as densely packed as the Semogue ones. However, they splay a lot less, giving you more control.

[...]

Note that even the smaller Semogue knots will fan out quite a bit.

Finally, you should be able to get great lathers from any of these brushes, including the 1305. If you're having problems with it, you'll probably find that you'll have problems with the Omegas as well. Spend some time working on your technique. Try more product and then build up the lather slowly. That should work. The differences between the two brands have to do with feel, not efficacy.

I fully agree with this!
Personally I have a personal preference for Semogue, but I have some Omegas as well that I truly like a lot.

Also every boar brush needs a time for break-in, regardless of the brand. However, as a rule of thumb, Omegas have shorter break-in periods than Semogue. Semogue brushes generally take a little more time to perform at its maximum.

2 5,531
 10-21-2013, 08:15 AM
User Info
I believe it was a 1305 that got quietly passed to various forum members and was sent to me with the words that it was junk do what I want with it. No one who had that brush could use it.

I finally put a badger knot in the handle after playiong with it for awhile. One thing I tried was trimming the hair to make it shorter. That actually helped and it wasn't as scitchy as one would think.

They both make nice boars, both different, as already written. Omega makes one heck of a nice brush for the money. Especially their low end boars. For the price they are superb. All the $ is in the knot, the handles are hollow. Omega also has or did have a higher end line and also mid-quality brushes, the differences are in the hnadles from what I've seen.

You don't say how you lather.

I face lather exclusively and here are the brushes I use. (from my inventory list so that I can remember what the brush I used is... it's an old fart crutch Biggrin ) With prices when I remembered to include them. All of these brushes work great for FLing otherwise they wouldn't be in the cabinet.

Vulfix 2234 green/brown faux horn, faux badger bristle $12

$.50 Chinese boar, faux badger, black wooden handle

Omega 10019 Boar - blonde boar 22x50mm - Handle, black upper, clear lower - hollow - $8

Semogue 610 Red Lucite- blonde boar 21x50mm-

Semogue 620 Black Lucite handle - faux badger 21x50mm

Omega 11047 hybrid boar/badger Mighty Midget 20x43mm w/Rx bottle

Omega 50014 boar “Turnback” Travel, 21x45mm

Omega 40033 Wide Waist Mighty Midget- blonde- faux ivory hollow handle, 23x48mm $7

Omega 50068 Lil’ Bambino - blonde - black hollow handle, 18x44mm $7

Rooney Vintage hollow white handle w/black ring (3 piece handle - epoxy filled) 19x 45mm faux badger boar

Oscar 11 gold/black handle w/TGN 20 x 50mm knot

Omega Premium 36, black resin handle, Faux badger, 21x50mm

32 6,309
 10-21-2013, 09:42 AM
User Info
The knots are built a little different (Semogue vs. Omega) so they act and feel a little different. Both are good brushes, however. There is no better, it's just what you like.

0 25
 10-21-2013, 09:53 AM
  • KLF
  • Israel
User Info
I have a Semogue 1305 and a Omega pro 48. I use the Omega brush daily, it's a real pleasure for me. The Semogue 1305 has a very beautiful handle but for me it makes less good lather so I use it only very rarely.

0 55
 10-21-2013, 03:57 PM
  • Westaway
  • Lawrenceville, GA
User Info
I have both a 610 and 1305. If I could only keep one....... it would have to be the 610. Hard to beat for lather and massage. Soft tips and fantastic backbone.

0 34
 10-22-2013, 04:20 PM
User Info
I've had the 1305 for almost a year and a half. It's pretty well broken in, but it seems like the lathers are lacking.

I don't know what to compare it to. I think I am having problems figuring out the right cream/soap ratio with the water.

2 396
 10-23-2013, 05:08 AM
  • Samjax
  • Clearwater, Florida
User Info
I have a preference for the Omegas - it's really hard to beat the Omega 49 for the money.

With that said, boars are so cheap that you can literally afford to get several of them without breaking the bank and enjoy them all. Getting several nice Badgers on the other hand is quite a different thing financially.

29 466