07-24-2015, 09:02 PM
User Info
(01-28-2015, 06:45 AM)GatorFL Wrote: This thread just reminded me I need to call my barber for an appointment.  

It's a large shop, 6 or 7 chairs, run by a father and son from Armenia.   The haircuts and the hot shaves are excellent.  I'm there about every other week.  I'll get a haircut one week and then a hot shave a couple weeks later.  

I spent some time in Chicago this past summer.  I was there for 6 weeks.  I learned that your barber really gets to know what you like and what you don't.  The shop I visited in Chicago was fine, the barber did an acceptable job but it just wasn't the same.

It's a shame to hear some of you have to go to a stylist vs a barber.  Lost arts and all I guess.

What shop in Chicago? The shop I go to in Chicago is also run by a Father and Son. Mr. Joe SR. is the Man! We always have a great conversation and I walk out with the best cuts every time. His shop is really neat inside and his son makes and sells their own pomade. Fantastic stuff. 

[Image: dIauyGr.jpg]

46 1,102
 10-02-2015, 02:55 PM
User Info
I've been going to the same barber in downtown Portland for probably going on 15 years, ever since I just happened to walk by the shop.

It's a one man, one chair shop called the The Comstock Tonsorial Parlor, run by Klyde Comstock.  His is a man's man shop with gun, auto and yes, even girlie magazines out on display and hunting trophies on the walls.  A true dyed in the wool ultra conservative working in the middle of The People's Republic Of Portland, he's a lot of fun to talk to while he's cutting my hair.  Hair cuts are $25.

The only drawback is he doesn't do shaves.  He said there was a time when no one wanted them so he put his stuff away and refuses to pull it back out.  He's funny that way.  He sends away walk-ins even if he has the time.  He insists that you call and make an appointment.  Early on, he wouldn't let me make an appointment for the same day.  Now that I'm an established regular he's relaxed that rule.  Hey, it's his shop and his rules and if you don't like it then go somewhere else.

Meanwhile, there's a bit of a resurgence going on here with barbershops for men, places you can get a shave and a beer while you're at it.  But I hate the thought of Klyde ever finding out I was disloyal.  He might dig that straight razor out again after all, gulp.

Last year I had to make a short notice trip to Tampa and was there for two weeks.  I was desperate to get a hair cut anywhere and all they have are those barber mills in strip malls.  Talk about a suck experience.  She pulled out a plastic thingy, ran it over my head a few times, followed up by a couple of snips with a pair of scissors.  I think it took all of 5 minutes and cost $10 or $12.  Made me really appreciate my half hour with Klyde.

0 135
 10-04-2015, 10:49 AM
User Info
Barber shops to me are a dying breed as to the old fashioned feel.  Too much specialty going on and not enough just plain ole barbering like God intended.  Men need a place where you have maybe two guys with folks waiting and jawing and telling lies and hanging out having fun.  Then you step up and get your ears lowered.......simply put.  A barber that remembers you and knows how to gab a bit.  And what ever happened to them shaving your neck line!!!!!!  It has gone away totally and no more tidying up that peach fuzz hair.

That is why I just get my hair cut on a 1/8" guard all around with some closer trim work.  I do it myself at home and while it would be nice to find a good barber again, I just don't feel like auditioning any for that role in my old age!

0 413
 12-11-2015, 01:19 PM
User Info
After reading some of the post on this thread I am happy I live where I do.  Here in Omaha we have seen a real resurgence of barber shops.  It is getting easier to find a barber without having to wait.  A few years ago that wasn't so true.

0 94
 12-13-2015, 08:33 PM
User Info
I haven't had a barber cut my hair since the Army in the mid 80's. 
Even then once I got to my permanent duty station I got a set of clippers and started doing my own hair. 
Nothing fancy just the shortest guard and I can cut it high and tight in less than 5 minutes.

3 108
 03-10-2016, 09:34 PM
User Info
(10-23-2013, 01:18 PM)Jay Wrote: Well, b/c I've got a good barber I thought it would be a good thread. Dave is in a 2 chair shop.12$ I've never been in a shop w/4 people waiting on one guy. The other barber will be open, but everyone waits for Dave. I don't know if the other guy gives a bad cut...I think in the past year I've only seen him cutting once or twice...I think Dave is just good. 15mins, a bit of positive chatter, "How'sit go'n boss" He's young guy, gives a tight cut, w/hot lather & razor neat'n up on the sides and neck. All good.
I had a young lady cutting before. You know. Very...  uh pleasant and the cut was OK, but not worth the price.

Gosh, I haven't been to a barber in years - been thinking about going back, just to try it again.  I'm a total dweeb I guess, but I've been using a Flowbee for probably 20 years - definitely not a slave to fashion Smile  But heck, I like my hair short, nothing fancy and it works great.  Takes about 10 - 15 minutes.  On my second unit now so total investment has been maybe $250, including the little vacuum.  Cut and trim maybe every 3 weeks - maybe 17 a year, times 20 years = 340 cuts so that's about $0.75 a cut - better than Clint Eastwood got in some of his old westerns.  Smile

0 374
 04-30-2016, 09:02 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Might be time to consider shaving your head Smile

119 506
 05-15-2016, 04:26 AM
User Info
I'm very fortunate to have a third generation barber shop in my neighborhood. Every cut is finished with warm lather , a straight razor , and aftershave. Full hot towel shaves are available and a lot of gents around here get them regularly. I must say the straight razor shaves are done nicely and have never myself had any uncomfortable or irritating shaves in the 10 years I have visited them.

53 1,287