02-29-2012, 12:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Gin and wet shaving kind of go hand-in-hand. Both are a little old school and both are coming back into fashion. I have been trying several different gins lately and am particularly impressed with Boodles, Hendricks and Junipero. What are some of your favorite gins?

45 16,335
 02-29-2012, 01:57 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Wow baby..slow down ..don,t drink and shave...just say no....Oprah will kick your ass !!!!! My son is a cop and you are going down !!!!! The law clearly states Shave first ...then drink...we are taking you downtown..hands against the wall. Also GIN leads to SIN.... :twisted: =: = )

6 1,913
 02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Nah...they go great together Harvey. If you happen to run out of aftershave, just splash a little gin on your face. The best Juniper aftershave around. =9

45 16,335
 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Never tried that...got an idea ..we can have a Nook Cook ..everyone will bring their favorite booze,razor,gun,pen,flashlight,radio,car,tool and any other collectible...we can eat,drink and play Spin the Collectible. Those of us (such as myself who collect everything) can play show and tell or answer any questions on any product with whom we have had an affair with !!!!! (yes we all know most of us are nuts and are just looking for the best things on earth which we can hide from our wives..etc) D,

6 1,913
 02-29-2012, 02:39 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
bullgoose Wrote:Gin and wet shaving kind of go hand-in-hand. Both are a little old school and both are coming back into fashion. I have been trying several different gins lately and am particularly impressed with Boodles, Hendricks and Junipero. What are some of your favorite gins?

Hi Phil

If it's good enough for 007 it should be good enough for us mere mortals bn

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I can't see how anything made out of juniper berries would be good for you. Ok years ago it was Tanqueray. Are you happy now ; }

100 12,440
 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
User Info
Plymouth and Bombay Sapphire for martini's

Gordon's for quick gin and tonics on hot summer days

2 697
 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My passion is single malt scotch. But on a hot summer day Boodles and tonic and in winter a hot buttered rum with Whaler's dark are SOP.

2 3,171
 02-29-2012, 03:34 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
SteelTown Wrote:Plymouth and Bombay Sapphire for martini's

Gordon's for quick gin and tonics on hot summer days

I have not tried Plymouth but, I plan to remedy that soon. D,

45 16,335
 02-29-2012, 03:35 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
kav Wrote:My passion is single malt scotch. But on a hot summer day Boodles and tonic and in winter a hot buttered rum with Whaler's dark are SOP.

Yes...Boodles and tonic is very refreshing. bn

45 16,335
 02-29-2012, 04:22 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Another great idea for Phil..seeing as you live near the beach open a bar/barber shop and get shaved and sauced at the same time....then hit the waves with a giant paddle board

6 1,913
 02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
User Info
LOL, I was going to reply to another of Phils posts about the occasional bad shave, but then thought better of it, till now. I shave in the evening and the ritual doesn't start without a bit of libation. Generally, I tell my wifey unit that I'm going for my shave (that's her signal to leave me alone, or just come in to watch and talk about light stuff). My favorites are as varied as my AS.

If you don't mind me twisting the topic a bit, my Gin days are over (long story); but I really do enjoy my Brandys, Scotches, and in the warm months, my various tonics and seltzer mixes.

Freddy, is our resident expert, but Laphroaig 18 Year Old Single Malt Scotch really is nice .

2 546
 03-01-2012, 10:20 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(02-29-2012, 05:28 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: LOL, I was going to reply to another of Phils posts about the occasional bad shave, but then thought better of it, till now. I shave in the evening and the ritual doesn't start without a bit of libation. Generally, I tell my wifey unit that I'm going for my shave (that's her signal to leave me alone, or just come in to watch and talk about light stuff). My favorites are as varied as my AS.

If you don't mind me twisting the topic a bit, my Gin days are over (long story); but I really do enjoy my Brandys, Scotches, and in the warm months, my various tonics and seltzer mixes.

Freddy, is our resident expert, but Laphroaig 18 Year Old Single Malt Scotch really is nice .

Huh?

2 11,211
 03-02-2012, 01:10 AM
User Info
I'm not an expert in Gin. But it's the only alcoholic drink that I enjoy from time to time. In home I have few, and my favorite are Hendricks and The London nº 1.

By the way, this summer I bought two bottles of Xoriger from Menorca. Is a gin made in this spanish island. There he usually drink with natural lemon juice. I like it but its not a top gin of course.

http://www.xoriguer.es/Default.aspx?lan=en

0 24
 03-02-2012, 04:32 AM
  • mboschm
  • Unregistered
User Info
(03-02-2012, 01:10 AM)Diego C Wrote: I'm not an expert in Gin. But it's the only alcoholic drink that I enjoy from time to time. In home I have few, and my favorite are Hendricks and The London nº 1.

By the way, this summer I bought two bottles of Xoriger from Menorca. Is a gin made in this spanish island. There he usually drink with natural lemon juice. I like it but its not a top gin of course.

Hmm... Gin Xoriguer. A raw, intense gin, with a heavy juniper berry flavour (no other components, as far as I know), which makes an excellent summer drink mixed 1:1 with lemon (altough it has quick and devastating effects if drunk with an empty stomach). The difference with English gin, is that the base spirit comes from wine, not grains.

My favourite gins are Hendrick's and Bombay, especially when mixed with Schweppes or Nordic Mist tonic waters.

03-02-2012, 06:58 AM
User Info
(03-02-2012, 04:32 AM)mboschm Wrote:
(03-02-2012, 01:10 AM)Diego C Wrote: I'm not an expert in Gin. But it's the only alcoholic drink that I enjoy from time to time. In home I have few, and my favorite are Hendricks and The London nº 1.

Hmm... Gin Xoriguer. A raw, intense gin, with a heavy juniper berry flavour (no other components, as far as I know), which makes an excellent summer drink mixed 1:1 with lemon (altough it has quick and devastating effects if drunk with an empty stomach). The difference with English gin, is that the base spirit comes from wine, not grains.

My favourite gins are Hendrick's and Bombay, especially when mixed with Schweppes or Nordic Mist tonic waters.

This great mixed is well known as "Pomada", fresh but as you said with "devastating effects" Biggrin

0 24
 03-02-2012, 07:32 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-02-2012, 06:58 AM)Diego C Wrote: My favourite gins are Hendrick's and Bombay, especially when mixed with Schweppes or Nordic Mist tonic waters.

Hendricks is definitely delicious and a little different. I used their recommendation and used cucumber as a garnish rather than olives for a martini and it was excellent. Very refreshing!

45 16,335
 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM
User Info
For mixing, I like Dry Fly for use in Negronis. Rogue limited edition pink gin is outstanding just on the rocks.

3 195
 03-03-2012, 02:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(03-03-2012, 12:52 PM)Dirty Texan Wrote: For mixing, I like Dry Fly for use in Negronis. Rogue limited edition pink gin is outstanding just on the rocks.

Yikes! More Gins that I need to try. Biggrin

45 16,335
 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
I guess I must just be old school but I have to side with Jerry on this one, if I'm not drinking Tanqueray I'm not drinking gin.

The martini must be desert dry, Tanqueray in the appropriate glass with 1 olive then pass the glass by your mouth as you utter the word vermouth, Ahhhhhh, desert dry indeed.

OK, now that I have relived that memorable era of days gone by. I gave that up a few years ago when I was put on insulin for control of my diabetes. I've known too many folks that kept drinking after they were diagnosed with diabetes and ended up checking out of life early and that's not for this old guy! So thanks for allowing me to go back in my mind, for a moment there it felt like I was running with the pack. Wink

0 136