10-27-2013, 04:51 AM
  • jshnks
  • Space Coast, FL.
User Info
So I purchased a new WSP boar brush off of amazon the other day, it also happens to be my first boar hair brush! It was pretty stiff to begin with, and made the mistake of trying to face lather the first go. It actually scratched my face up, lesson learned! So I've been doing some hand lathering and then just putting it aside to dry out, and hopefully get some good split ends going!

Today was my first shave with it, although it is still a bit stiff was able to get a decent lather from it. I will say this, and its more of a question really, it seems as if I cant make the amount of lather like I do with my badger brushes I have to reload my brush after one pass, is this from the brush not being broken in? Or is it user error?

Thanks!
Joshua

5 123
 10-27-2013, 04:57 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Boar is stiff to begin with so you will have to break it in for awhile to soften it up. However, if you have hard water this will be hard to do because of the calcium content.

100 12,437
 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Eventually you will be able to make just as much lather as your badgers. If you don't want to sacrifice your shaves until it breaks in you could lather it up every day or two until you get the result you want. There are articles here somewhere on breaking in boars. There are several different methods. I will try to find some and post links.

45 3,955
 10-27-2013, 01:11 PM
User Info
Boar knots are less dense while also have thicker bristles compared to badger hairs. Also, most boar knots are a good but smaller than the average badger knot these days. So if you're used to lathering with a 26mm badger then you can't really compare it to a 21mm boar.

31 7,912
 10-27-2013, 07:18 PM
User Info
You can definitely create a great lather from a Boar knot. This is what I did with my WSP Boar to break em in. Lathered it up a few times, now its actually fairly soft with a great backbone still.

[Image: Wild_Boar_Bigelow.jpg]

[Image: Wild_Boar_KMF.jpg]

[Image: Wild_Boar_Mem.jpg]

[Image: Wild_Boar_Tabac.jpg]

[Image: Wild_Boar_Broken.jpg]

47 385
 10-27-2013, 08:15 PM
User Info
what a lot of people will do with new brushes is take a bar of soap and lather it up 5-10X to help soften the hair before standard use.

I think Teiste has a video of this somewhere.

also, you can use a hair brush as well:

40 5,830
 10-28-2013, 04:32 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info