10-27-2013, 05:32 AM
User Info
A week ago I picked up an old brush with a beautiful plexi handle from a vendor at a flea market. When I saw it, I had to have it, and the price was a song. Took it home and shampooed it thoroughly before using it. I normally will buy an old brush for the handle, but in this case because it looked pretty darn good for an old brush, I decided to use it just like any other brush for shaving. It's been 7 straight days now, and this little brush is blowing my mind! It measures about 23.5mm knot, and about 51mm loft. I call this a small brush. The handle is only about 44mm. The only hairs that were lost were a few in the initial shampooing and one or two in the next couple of days, which didn't surprise me at all for a brush that must be 40 or 50 years old. I use distilled water, and the lather the little brush generates is clearly on a par with my other, newer, larger brushes. The only thing that bothers me is that the handle is so comparatively small, the lather ends up on my fingers and makes it somewhat difficult to hold onto while applying the lather to my face. I really like this surprising old brush, apparently made in USA back when Stanhome (still in business) used to make just about all of their own stuff. I have no clue where this brush was made or by whom, if not the Stanhome company. The company logo stamped on the bottom is pretty much the same as the company uses currently around the world. It says "pure badger". It's very soft on the face and makes enough thick rich lather for a full 3 pass shave with plenty left over to be squeezed out afterwards. The only photo I have is of this brush next to a BK4 to show the comparative size.
[Image: bth_20131020_074348.jpg]

24 1,151
 10-27-2013, 12:25 PM
User Info
Congratulations on finding a little gem, Gary! Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-27-2013, 12:27 PM
User Info
Nice find, Gary. I've always liked those old plexi handles.

184 12,003
 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM
User Info
Just like with almost everyone else, I've been watching the progress of the pretty Simpson P8 Phyl brush that's now a reality. A credit to Mark and Simpson's. I almost bought one, and still might do so. Meanwhile, it occurred to me as I've been deliberating about the P8, the knot measurements are very similar to this Stanhome vintage badger brush with the plexi handle that has given me some very nice shaves ever since I brought it home a few weeks ago. (Temporarily interrupted by the appearance of the Thater in the shaving den.Smile) The grade of badger hair in the Stanhome appears to be banded, with light tips. I say "appears" to be, because it's probably pretty old, and may have faded or discolored over the decades. Anyway, I think for now, I'll be content with the Stanhome. It has the same knot size and a couple of mm taller loft, compared to the P8 in Best. I think these two brushes are very similar.

24 1,151
 11-12-2013, 09:59 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great find, congratulations Gary!

91 17,854
 11-12-2013, 11:22 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA