10-27-2013, 06:34 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Any recommendations on where to purchase Zassenhaus online?

97 17,984
 10-27-2013, 06:43 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ben, before I received mine from Johnny, I was eying eBay. However, check out Sweet Maria's Coffee and look at the "Coffee Merch" on their site and then the Manual Grinders (http://sweetmarias.com). Of course, I don't know if postage to Australia would be too expensive but at least it will give you some idea. There is always Amazon to check out, as well. I hope this helps.

2 11,211
 10-27-2013, 06:47 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Thanks Freddy, its around $50 US for shipping, but the grinder itself is much cheaper than sourcing it locally or from Europe.

97 17,984
 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Ben shop around and take your time. Especially if you want one of the more difficult ones to get a hold of. Notice the one I showed earlier. It was from Sweet Marias and was 135.50. I just found this one on Amazon. Same grinder but look at the price.
http://www.amazon.com/Zassenhaus-169DG-C...ee+grinder
I have also seen this model on e-bay for as much as 250.

64 990
 10-27-2013, 07:21 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes, I've noticed the huge pricing discrepancies and wondered if some vendors aren't offering the genuine article...

97 17,984
 10-27-2013, 07:41 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
As stated before the model that is being used as an example is a hard one to obtain. It is like the cobra. It can disappear from the market for a year at a time. The first one 135.50 offered by SM is the real goods. I know Tom Owens the owner of SM personally. His reputation as an honest man can't be beat. He is predominately a coffee taster and vendor with a highly regarded reputation. His main interest is in selling beans. All other items on his site are listed for his consumers convienience. He sells these items at their price fixed points. Or with only a small mark-up.

64 990
 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:41 PM)Barrylu Wrote: As stated before the model that is being used as an example is a hard one to obtain. It is like the cobra. It can disappear from the market for a year at a time. The first one 135.50 offered by SM is the real goods. I know Tom Owens the owner of SM personally. His reputation as an honest man can't be beat. He is predominately a coffee taster and vendor with a highly regarded reputation. His main interest is in selling beans. All other items on his site are listed for his consumers convienience. He sells these items at their price fixed points. Or with only a small mark-up.

Sounds good. I'm happy to pay for quality products and a vendor committed to customer satisfaction. If this means paying a little extra, I'm fine with that, but in this case, I'd be paying less!!! It's only the shipping, which of course is completely out of the owner's control, that is costly.

97 17,984
 10-27-2013, 07:54 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Ok, so I've chosen a vendor, now which grinder?

Here are the 3 I'm choosing between…

[Image: 2nfYBew.png]

Any recommendations?

97 17,984
 10-27-2013, 07:57 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:50 PM)ben74 Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 07:41 PM)Barrylu Wrote: As stated before the model that is being used as an example is a hard one to obtain. It is like the cobra. It can disappear from the market for a year at a time. The first one 135.50 offered by SM is the real goods. I know Tom Owens the owner of SM personally. His reputation as an honest man can't be beat. He is predominately a coffee taster and vendor with a highly regarded reputation. His main interest is in selling beans. All other items on his site are listed for his consumers convienience. He sells these items at their price fixed points. Or with only a small mark-up.
I don't know Toms policy on shipping to Australia. But his domestic shippin is all at cost. He takes no mark-up

Sounds good. I'm happy to pay for quality products and a vendor committed to customer satisfaction. If this means paying a little extra, I'm fine with that, but in this case, I'd be paying less!!! It's only the shipping, which of course is completely out of the owner's control, that is costly.
I don't know Toms policy on shipping to Australia. But his domestic shippin is all at cost. He takes no mark-up
[/quote]

64 990
 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
All three look great! I do not think you can go wrong. I have and like the knee grinder but I plan on picking up the walnut closed hopper next because it looks like it has a larger capacity and a wider base (and thus more stable).

45 17,035
 10-27-2013, 08:03 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:57 PM)Barrylu Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 07:50 PM)ben74 Wrote:

[/quote]

I can't imagine he'd be making anything on international shipping either.

97 17,984
 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:58 PM)bullgoose Wrote: All three look great! I do not think you can go wrong. I have and like the knee grinder but I plan on picking up the walnut closed hopper next because it looks like it has a larger capacity and a wider base (and thus more stable).

That's the one I'm favouring too...

97 17,984
 10-27-2013, 08:45 PM
User Info
Ben, that walnut one sure looks beautiful and I know nothing about grinders! Good luck with the purchase.
I better stop browsing this thread before I decide to buy one! Biggrin

80 20,986
 10-27-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
Call me boring, but when I tired of pre-ground coffee a few years back - and realised that my 'modern' grinder was a POS - I simply restored my paternal grandmother's old grinder...

(excuse the mess in the background - it's mounted on the wall of my pantry)

Cast iron grinding wheel and housing, porcelain hopper that holds about a pound of beans (shame beans over here is sold by the half-kilo), and adjustable grind. I suspect the grinder is from the late '20s or early '30s, and it works just great Biggrin

3 3,886
 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
Very cool Hans!

45 17,035
 10-27-2013, 09:27 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:54 PM)ben74 Wrote: Ok, so I've chosen a vendor, now which grinder?

Here are the 3 I'm choosing between…

[Image: 2nfYBew.png]

Any recommendations?

Ben having seen your brush collection I know you appreciate quality and always go for the best. Therefore, this is a no brainer.
All three grinders will grind coffee well. All three grinders have secure lids. Therefore none of the three will throw beans out and onto the floor. The first one the box grinder will be the most difficult to use. There is little to grab onto. While grinding it will want to "walk" all over the counter and you will have to fight it a bit. The extra energy and concentration might interfere with the Zen like feedback some people experience when hand grinding coffee. The second grinder is a knee grinder and is a little easier to grind with. The grinder is stabilized between the operators knees while grinding. Grinding is faster and easier. The resultant grind will be equal for all three grinders. The first two grinders are common . They have been around for years. About the only changes have been in the types of woods they are made from. However the basic design has remained unchanged. Resale might be a bit difficult. There are just too many of them and new ones are readily available.
Number three is the easiest one to use. It will grind faster and with much less effort. It will hold more beans and have to be emptied less often when grinding enough coffee for a ten cup pot. In addition, the grinder is similar to a LE brush fewer are made and they can be difficult to find used.They keep going up in price new and used. I bought mine about 7 years ago and paid $90 for it. The cheapest I see it for now is 135.50. If I were to draw an analogy between the 3 grinders. The first 2 would be Simpson Classics in Best Badger. The third Would be an Simpson Persian Jar 2 in Manchurian Badger. Finally, I would be willing to bet that it might be either the only one in Australia or at worse only one of a handful.

64 990
 10-27-2013, 09:30 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hans, what a classic to have! Having it mounted on the wall must give you some traction, too.

Ben, of the three you are looking at I have the one in the middle, and in that color. It works great and is perfect for me. However, if you are looking for a grinder that will do half a kilo at a time then this one won't do that much.

I really liked the one Barry posted and ordered it from Sweet Maria's. Frankly, it was the best price around. Amazon was considerably more for the same model.

2 11,211
 10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Zassenhaus used to make wall grinders.They stopped making them about 10 years ago. I have 2 that are practically brand new. I moved three years ago and do not have the room to display them. I could be convinced to part with one or both for the right price. They are just wrapped up and sitting in the botto, of a closet right now.
[Image: Sn78DCm.jpg]
[Image: tXf61GI.jpg]
[Image: YvDH8U9.jpg]

64 990
 10-27-2013, 09:51 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-27-2013, 09:30 PM)freddy Wrote: Hans, what a classic to have! Having it mounted on the wall must give you some traction, too.

Ben, of the three you are looking at I have the one in the middle, and in that color. It works great and is perfect for me. However, if you are looking for a grinder that will do half a kilo at a time then this one won't do that much.

I really liked the one Barry posted and ordered it from Sweet Maria's. Frankly, it was the best price around. Amazon was considerably more for the same model.

I just did as well. I am weak. Cool

45 17,035
 10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
  • ben74
  • ADMINISTRATOR EMERITUS
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great analogy Barry and sound advice too. You certainly have me pegged!

97 17,984