10-27-2013, 02:50 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
[Image: 2mpzqti.jpg]

I picked this up from another member a few weeks ago. Since then I have used it twice and the results were wonderful. This is my first Simpson and I was hesitant to go for it because it is "lower end" and there haven't been many threads recommending the Commodore.

The handle is very comfortable to hold close to the knot while loading, but it is also just the right diameter in the concave section to still be comfortable without being too small/thin. I love how it is the same size on the top and bottom of the handle. In between it tapers down slowly and then it quickly gives you the finger hold section towards the end.

The knot is something I have never felt anything else like it. If this is what all Best knots feel like, *drool* more will be joining the Commodore in the near future! The density really teams up with the higher loft to give a perfect combination of splay and backbone. The knot's overall shape looks like the fan on my Thater. With that I initially expected similar behavior, but I was in for a face lathering treat.

[Image: azhz47.jpg]

The brush is firm, there is a slight scrub, and the tips are a dream in terms of softness. If I had to pick a perfect fan brush, this would fit almost everything I was looking for.

I know it isn't expensive which can give it a "not very good" stigma. Why is this brush so rarely recommended, mentioned or talked about?

9 734
 10-27-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
It sure is a wonderful handle. If the knot were a 26mm or larger, I would definitely get one. Enjoy the brush! Smile

75 20,883
 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM
User Info
Its a great brush for sure - If I had purchased my Commodore X3 before trying a budget setup with a Parker "pure", I would probably be very happy with my "every day brush" and a Merkur 180 and would probably be "saving" money right now.

Instead, I purchased a crap brush that made me go to shaving brush forums, and I ended up trying almost everything under the sun.

You have two great brushes there - enjoy!

8 124
 10-27-2013, 08:06 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Buying not so great brushes (read: equipment in general) to start leads thinking, "Why is this such a big deal. There has to be something better than this..."

I think almost all of us came from seeing what else was out there to make the experience more enjoyable. My AoS Pure brush a while back got me researching to see what other people thought about the brush. That led to purchasing the Thater. That led to purchasing a T&H. That led to...

Will it ever end!?1

To be honest, I originally planned to use it once or twice and the. Sell it off for what I paid. Not sure i can let it go now that I have fallen for the simpson mystique. Then again it would make a phenominal PIF to a friend that I would like to introduce to brush creams...

9 734
 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have the X2 and it's a great brush. My only guess why they aren't more popular is that they get close to the prices for the Duke, which is really popular.

10 1,858
 10-28-2013, 04:10 AM
User Info
At one time I owned a Simpson Colonel X2L in best. I enjoyed the knot, but never warmed to the ergonomics of the handle. The Commodore is the brush that I should have bought, even better in the X3 size. However I ended up buying a Simpson 58 on BST and it has been a wonderful brush.

The Commodore handle reminds me of a thicker-waist version of the classic Kent handle which has the small channel just above the base for your finger to secure the brush as you lather.

As to why the Commodore gets little press on the forums? It's hard to say. On it's web site, Simpson says that the Commodore is it's best selling brush in North America. Perhaps Commodore users are just more modest?

I do recall a old thread on B&B where two members compared a Commodore and a Duke, each swapping their brushes and posting their impressions. IIRC, the feeling was that although they were both considered to be fine brushes, the Duke was a denser knot.

At the same time, I've been around long enough to realize that there are trends as to what's popular on the forums and things come in, and go out of fashion. For example years ago three-band silvertips were all the rage, as were shave creams. Today two-band badger and soaps rule the day.

But for me, if I was going to buy a new Simpson Best brush, it would be a Commodore X3.

3 452