04-21-2012, 09:13 PM
User Info
Tonight was my first shave with a DE that I've had in a few months since I switched to only using injectors. My main reasons for switching was because I couldn't get my technique down right and was constantly nicking myself and getting a lot of ingrowns. Now that I've matured some with face prep and lathering my soaps and creams, I figured I'd give it another go since I have a lot of DE blades left from when I first started wet shaving a little while back.

anyhow, nothing major to report other than the fact that I LOVE AOS shaving cream and the shave went relatively well with one or two nicks, but I expected that after not using a DE for so long. My ASB gave me some feedback, too, so that was helpful.

I used the tech razor that John sent me from a PIF and some treet CS blades I had laying around, with some mineral oil rubbed on the blade, as mentioned by shadowsdad in another thread here.

40 5,830
 04-21-2012, 09:42 PM
User Info
Glad to have had a small part in helping. Just refurbish the MO every shave and you should be good. If it drags, tugs, or gets uncomfortable then change the blade. I have soft water with no additives of any sort, you might have chlorine and chlorine makes for acidic water so be in tune to the blade.

Andy, I'm going to take a stab here and say that if you're still getting blood of any sort you're applying pressure. Back it off in a major way. It's counterintuitive, but you'll get a better shave with less pressure, not more. Yes, I know the tendency is to increase pressure, but let go of the world and outside influences and become one with the shave for a little bit. Concentrate on not deforming the skin as the blade passes over it and the Tech will become a bloodless shaving instrument.

Trust me on this. No pressure and angle are the key to the razor. (assuming a good blade)

FWIW, It annoys me greatly when I'm disturbed when shaving. I'm terrible that way. Even when the wife comes down and sees that I'm shaving and then retreats, it interferes and I wonder what it was that prompted the interruption rather than concentrate on the shave. It always bodes badly for my shave with the razors that I use. I need to close and lock the door. Do as I say, not as I do.

32 6,308
 04-21-2012, 09:58 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 09:13 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: Tonight was my first shave with a DE that I've had in a few months since I switched to only using injectors. My main reasons for switching was because I couldn't get my technique down right and was constantly nicking myself and getting a lot of ingrowns. Now that I've matured some with face prep and lathering my soaps and creams, I figured I'd give it another go since I have a lot of DE blades left from when I first started wet shaving a little while back.

anyhow, nothing major to report other than the fact that I LOVE AOS shaving cream and the shave went relatively well with one or two nicks, but I expected that after not using a DE for so long. My ASB gave me some feedback, too, so that was helpful.

I used the tech razor that John sent me from a PIF and some treet CS blades I had laying around, with some mineral oil rubbed on the blade, as mentioned by shadowsdad in another thread here.

I never tried a DE razor until I was 54 years old and it was defective and I didn't know it. Once I got one that wasn't it was instantly the best shaver I had ever had.

I tried an injector when I was 18 and it was like sandpaper on my face when finished. Not only that, it left razor stubble all over the place.

As I look back on my experiences and read the experiences of others I have become convinced that I hadmore trouble than most with injectors, multiblade razors, and cartridges.

0 282
 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Glad you're diving back in, Andrew! You're already receiving lots of good coaching so I'll only add - be patient! Once you dial it in, you may never look back. My offer to provide another razor or product still stands as you narrow your preferences. BTW, try AOS soap if you can - it's one of the very best and a notch above their creams, IMHO.

35 2,703
 04-22-2012, 05:48 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Andrew, all good advise above, especially the advise of NO PRESSURE.

You have inspired me to break out my DE87 tomorrow. I hope I can remember NO PRESSURE.

173 23,484
 04-22-2012, 11:35 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Andrew, you are already beginning to "get it" and ultimately your choice of razors will expand greatly as you become both competent and comfortable with the various types out there. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 04-22-2012, 12:41 PM
User Info
Andrew, I can't get a bloodless shave with a DE unless it's a slant bar. The thin & flexible DE blades have too much bounce as they cut my coarse stubble that they end up biting me. It's always weepers, not nicks, and they seem to come out of nowhere. The slant bat puts the blade under more tension thus eliminating a lot of vibration in the blade. The slant bar gives me the smoothest shaving experience of any DE. Godspeed in your continued shave journey!

31 7,912
 04-22-2012, 05:41 PM
User Info
Andrew,

Some good advice already. I still have to watch the pressure and no rushing through the shave. I believe that you can get past the nicks with a DE and enjoy the shave. Continue to be patient and you'll find the pairing of blade and razor that works best for you.

29 1,731
 04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Andrew! In a few more months, you will be an expert! Wait and see how many great DE razors there are, especially the OPEN-COMB ones! The best shavers!
Continued success, sir.

75 20,883
 04-23-2012, 11:55 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
(04-21-2012, 09:13 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: Tonight was my first shave with a DE that I've had in a few months since I switched to only using injectors. My main reasons for switching was because I couldn't get my technique down right and was constantly nicking myself and getting a lot of ingrowns. Now that I've matured some with face prep and lathering my soaps and creams, I figured I'd give it another go since I have a lot of DE blades left from when I first started wet shaving a little while back.

Ever think of trying with a shave with a straight? I seem to have an easy time with those vs. DEs, though admittedly I started with the straight and only have used a DE a small number of times.

0 353
 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM
User Info
(04-21-2012, 09:58 PM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote: I never tried a DE razor until I was 54 years old and it was defective and I didn't know it. Once I got one that wasn't it was instantly the best shaver I had ever had.

I tried an injector when I was 18 and it was like sandpaper on my face when finished. Not only that, it left razor stubble all over the place.

As I look back on my experiences and read the experiences of others I have become convinced that I had more trouble than most with injectors, multiblade razors, and cartridges.

My experience was similar, and I did not try a safety razor until I had been shaving for decades. I almost always got nicks, cuts or irritation with a cartridge razor, but just thought it was a normal part of shaving.

My first traditional wetshave was with Merkur blades, which work very poorly for me. Trying Derby blades changed the shaves from lousy to excellent, though. Truth be told, switching to quality creams and soaps with a brush helped at least as much as switching to a safety razor. I always thought the canned goo was great, but little did I know.

0 303
 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
User Info
thanks for the replies!

what is a weeper? razor bumps?

I haven't tried a slant before. does it use normal DE blades?

40 5,830
 04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Andrew, this is my Merkur 37G (Gold) slant. I believe only the 37C (Chrome) is currently in production. As you can see, there will be more blade exposure on one end of the razor than the other. Some consider them extremely aggressive but I do not. The normal rules of DE shaving apply, such as no pressure, and there should not be too much of a problem using one of these. Make no mistake, if you are too casual using it, it can bite but that is true of any razor. It does, indeed, take standard double edge blades and I get some of my closest shaves with this razor. Since purchasing it, it has never left my rotation.

[Image: DSC_0001_20.jpg]

2 11,211