10-27-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
Hello all, I have seen in several threads for brushes and bowls that there are at least a few members who specifically have mentioned Olive wood as most desirable.

So, why is that? Olivewood is fairly pricy but I don't have any idea how it could be so popular. It's a good wood. My own pen (favorite) is made from it.

All of the tropical hardwoods are relatively pricy but for sheer drama I would have gone with cocobolo. So, why Olive?

Thanks! Kristin

0 135
 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM
User Info
Kristin, I don't have an Olive wood handle brush, yet, but to me, the texture of the darker grain patterns really compliment the lighter colour of the wood. From what I understand, it isn't that expensive. You can get a custom handle done for $40-50, I believe.

75 20,883
 10-28-2013, 03:06 AM
User Info
I just received the Muhle olive wood in the STF knot and the wood is really nice to hold. Not slippery like some wood brushes and has a warm feel to it. Muhle must just rub in a oil finish instead of a laquer as you really feel the wood. This is my first olive wood brush but it is my favorite. Nice and light. Would like to try an olive wood in the Persian jar design, as that is my favorite shape.

18 201
 10-28-2013, 11:50 AM
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:20 PM)celestino Wrote: Kristin, I don't have an Olive wood handle brush, yet, but to me, the texture of the darker grain patterns really compliment the lighter colour of the wood. From what I understand, it isn't that expensive. You can get a custom handle done for $40-50, I believe.

Ahh the contrast - okay I can see that. Would black and white ebony be too much? For example: plz see this link (not mine, not ours, just an example, http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-iden...ite-ebony/

(10-28-2013, 03:06 AM)houlejames Wrote: I just received the Muhle olive wood in the STF knot and the wood is really nice to hold. Not slippery like some wood brushes and has a warm feel to it. Muhle must just rub in a oil finish instead of a laquer as you really feel the wood. This is my first olive wood brush but it is my favorite. Nice and light. Would like to try an olive wood in the Persian jar design, as that is my favorite shape.

Very interesting. may I ask how long you have had it? and would you mind letting us know what it looks like in a few months of continual use? Olive holds up well with only a little finish in a dry setting I wonder what a wet one will do. Thanks!

0 135
 10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
This set just became available in the Muhle catalog over the weekend. I have the KOSMO olive wood brush already and I love it. I decided to order the razor and stand this morning. I can't wait for it to arrive. Her is what it looks like:

[Image: 10-28-20131-47-31AM_zps0f3474b8.jpg]

It's shown here with the R89 head. I will use my R41 2013 with it.

0 254
 10-28-2013, 01:39 PM
User Info
(10-28-2013, 11:50 AM)KLovgren Wrote: Ahh the contrast - okay I can see that. Would black and white ebony be too much? For example: plz see this link (not mine, not ours, just an example, http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-iden...ite-ebony/

* Kristin, that Ebony and White may be a bit too stark. Olive wood has a much subtle, but richer textured contrast as you can see in Jim's photo, above.

75 20,883
 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
That looks amazing! I may have to save up! Smile

2 447
 10-28-2013, 09:53 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Besides just looking great I remember reading somewhere that olive wood is really dense and fairly impervious to water which makes it a good material for a shaving tool.

2 505
 10-29-2013, 05:16 AM
User Info
That's right, it's very dense and it also retains a relative amount of it's natural oils even when well seasoned, so it's very good for brush and razor handles.
Another good thing is that the wood (like beech) has natural anti-bacterial qualities which stop mould spores forming, this is great for anything coming in contact with moisture.
That's why Olive and Beech are the 2 most common woods used for kitchen utensils (Olive being a bit more high-end).

0 49
 10-29-2013, 10:32 AM
User Info
(10-28-2013, 01:39 PM)celestino Wrote:
(10-28-2013, 11:50 AM)KLovgren Wrote: Ahh the contrast - okay I can see that. Would black and white ebony be too much? For example: plz see this link (not mine, not ours, just an example, http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-iden...ite-ebony/

* Kristin, that Ebony and White may be a bit too stark. Olive wood has a much subtle, but richer textured contrast as you can see in Jim's photo, above.

Yup, that's exactly my question, thnx a million

0 135
 10-29-2013, 10:41 AM
User Info
It would be nice to have a brush handle and/or razor handle made from an old olive tree. According to Wikipedia:

"There are dozens of ancient olive trees throughout Israel and Palestine whose age has earlier been estimated to be 1,600–2,000 years old; however, these estimates could not be supported by current scientific practices. Ancient trees include two giant olive trees in Arraba and five trees in Deir Hanna, both in the Galilee region, which have been determined to be over 3,000 years old, although there is no available data to support the credibility of the study that produced these age estimates and as such the 3000 years age estimate can not be considered valid.... Several trees in the Garden of Gethsemane... in Jerusalem are claimed to date back to the purported time of Jesus.

Some Italian olive trees are believed to date back to Roman times, although identifying progenitor trees in ancient sources is difficult. A tree located in Santu Baltolu di Carana (municipality of Luras) in Sardinia, Italy, named with respect as the Ozzastru by the inhabitants of the region, is claimed to be 3,000 to 4,000 years old according to different studies. There are several other trees of about 1,000 years old within the same garden."

184 12,003
 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM
User Info
My pleasure Kristin.
John, I whole heartedly agree. It would be very nice to have a brush made from one of these ancient trees......for me even better would be working with this wood!!
Of course it would have to have fallen down naturally or by storm damage etc.
I think the treatment might be a wee bit harsh if anyone was caught near one with a chainsaw!! Wink

0 49
 10-29-2013, 03:06 PM
User Info
I have bought many times Bethlehem Olive wood directly from Israel.
It comes from very old tree and comes from the pruning of these trees, so no tree is cut down. Some of these threes are very old, over 2000 years. The wood makes outstanding pens; the Bethlehem Olive wood pens were always my bestsellers at craft shows. I have only made a few brush handles from it. Unfortunately, it is not very often requested; I have some nice stock left over for both pens (razor handles) and brush handles. Beautiful to turn, and the smell is just super when working with this wood.

0 163
 10-29-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
I'm a little jealous here Rudy.......you're a lucky man indeed to have stock of that wood! The stock of Olive I have at the moment is from Italy, but like yours it smells fantastic when I work with it.
BTW......you make beautiful brushes and pens etc....oh, and I'm also a little jealous of your lovely Oneway lathe......I'll get one someday!! Smile

0 49
 10-29-2013, 07:34 PM
User Info
I also LOVE working with olive wood! The smell of olive is like no other - really a joy to work with.

I'm just in the process of finishing up a custom order in olive wood for a member. I don't think he's mind if I shared. No finish is applied here - just fresh turned and sanded!

[Image: celestino-olive-4.jpg]

[Image: celestino-olive-5.jpg]

0 29
 10-29-2013, 07:51 PM
User Info
(10-29-2013, 07:34 PM)ZenShave Wrote: I'm just in the process of finishing up a custom order in olive wood for a member. I don't think he's mind if I shared. No finish is applied here - just fresh turned and sanded!

That is a gorgeous brush. I'll look forward to seeing images of it once it is finished.

184 12,003
 10-29-2013, 08:24 PM
User Info
Well, look at that magnificent brush! What a surprise seeing it here! Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-29-2013, 10:29 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Beautiful brush, Rob!
The details are quite unique and distinctive.

102 17,670
 10-30-2013, 03:42 AM
User Info
Lovely brush there.....and a nice bit of turning, nice crisp details!
What finish are you going to use?

0 49
 10-30-2013, 03:57 PM
User Info
(10-29-2013, 07:34 PM)ZenShave Wrote: I also LOVE working with olive wood! The smell of olive is like no other - really a joy to work with.

I'm just in the process of finishing up a custom order in olive wood for a member. I don't think he's mind if I shared. No finish is applied here - just fresh turned and sanded!

[Image: celestino-olive-4.jpg]

[Image: celestino-olive-5.jpg]

Rob, well done, well done indeed!

What are you planning on using as a finish?

1 2,827