10-27-2013, 07:27 PM
User Info
It seems like Stirling soap is so moisturizing, that it makes me break out. Has anybody else suffered from this?

It really sucks because I love the scents I have tried, but I can't use them as frequently as I want to. I have used tallow and lanolin soaps before with no problem (Mike's, The Shave Den, Old Williams, MWF, Tabac, Irisch Moos.)

I'm just stuck here. I love the value of the soaps, the scents, the customer service, and the performance (when I don't break out.)

2 396
 10-27-2013, 07:38 PM
User Info
Wow, that is unfortunate! I have never tried the soap, but could it be the essential oils?
I hope you can resolve the issue.

76 20,924
 10-27-2013, 07:42 PM
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:38 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, that is unfortunate! I have never tried the soap, but could it be the essential oils?
I doubt it's the essential oils. I have used many strongly scented soaps with tons of unnatural chemicals. I would prefer natural ones like Mike's; it is the perfect combination of moisturizing for me.

I don't use eucalyptus products because I'm terribly allergic to that stuff as well. My face breaks out badly and it takes forever for my face to heal when I use it. I wonder if it's the clay in Stirling.

Someone with more knowledge than I would be able to tell if clay is a moisturizer or just added slickness. I have no idea.

2 396
 10-27-2013, 07:49 PM
User Info
Mike also uses clay (kaolin) in his soaps. It really is odd that you have no reaction to Mike's, but you do to Sterling as they have very similar ingredients.
Have you tried any other artisan soap and had a reaction?

76 20,924
 10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
User Info
(10-27-2013, 07:42 PM)MegaBullfrog Wrote:
(10-27-2013, 07:38 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, that is unfortunate! I have never tried the soap, but could it be the essential oils?
I doubt it's the essential oils. I have used many strongly scented soaps with tons of unnatural chemicals. I would prefer natural ones like Mike's; it is the perfect combination of moisturizing for me.

I don't use eucalyptus products because I'm terribly allergic to that stuff as well. My face breaks out badly and it takes forever for my face to heal when I use it. I wonder if it's the clay in Stirling.

Someone with more knowledge than I would be able to tell if clay is a moisturizer or just added slickness. I have no idea.

you'd be surprised with EO...

I can't use most soaps & creams with lime in it, but then there's been times when I've used lime creams that there wasn't an issue.

40 5,830
 10-27-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
I have to agree with Andrew, here. You can get the oddest reaction from some essential oils and not from others.
Good luck to you, regardless.

76 20,924
 10-27-2013, 08:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the reply guys. I'm going to try Stirling again. I am going to figure out if it's some ingredient, an E.O., or what. I bet I can use it just fine if I don't use it for every shave. It kind of sounds stupid, but I have to have some sort of method to test these soaps.

Tabac irritates my skin if I use it continuously. If I use it in a rotation, I don't have any problems. I will try that same method here.

2 396
 10-28-2013, 02:53 AM
User Info
I stick with Stirling's EO soaps and I've never had anything but great results across the board. You must be a masochist, if I find a product doesn't work for me (Mystic Waters, TOBS and Proraso creams), they're toast, outta here. Good luck.

1 131
 10-28-2013, 02:54 AM
User Info
I react to a couple of his fragrance oil soaps - no issues with his essential oil soaps.

Ben Franklin and the Lavender Sage are two EO soaps that I would recommend.

50 1,133
 10-28-2013, 03:11 AM
User Info
I can see wanting to try a little longer with Stirling. It's such a great performer.

Try rinsing extra thoroughly after the shave. Soap residue alone can cause acne.

3 285
 10-28-2013, 07:44 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Don't worry i have the same problem. I feel the burn right when applying the lather on to face before making the first pass.

10 963
 10-30-2013, 07:45 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Sorry to hear of your problem. I am confused as to the nature of the link between moisturizing and breaking out. Can someone explain?

1 777
 10-31-2013, 09:16 AM
User Info
(10-30-2013, 07:45 AM)Teddyboy Wrote: Sorry to hear of your problem. I am confused as to the nature of the link between moisturizing and breaking out. Can someone explain?

I'm guessing when he means moisturizing that it is clogging his pores and making him break out. I have had a few soaps that irritated my skin, but I never broke out because of them. I guess I'm also using the term "broke out" to mean causes pimples, maybe that's not what he means. I can tell you though if any soap causes irritation or a burning sensation it is posted on the bst the same day! I enjoy shaving way too much and there are so many other soaps and creams out there to suffer through discomfort, even if it is a value.

9 90
 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
Ok, I ordered a puck of Glacial just to see if his soaps really weren't for me. I must have just been unlucky with the MITA. Glacial worked perfectly fine for me and I have clear skin. I got kind of careless on my neck, but that was my fault... not the soaps. Looks like this case is closed.

2 396
 11-18-2013, 05:34 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Glad to hear that Ryan!!

Glacial makes you sit up straight!!

4 2,437
 11-18-2013, 05:10 PM
User Info
I didn't get along well with Stirling and I'm disappointed about that, With my water I can't get it to lather well and one of the soaps left my face with a burning sensation. Something didn't agree with me there.
I have 4 more to try but I think I've just moved on.

I also tried Mikes natural today and that doesn't lather for me well either, so some soaps work well for me and some don't

0 50
 11-18-2013, 05:21 PM
User Info
(11-18-2013, 05:10 PM)4freek Wrote: I didn't get along well with Stirling and I'm disappointed about that, With my water I can't get it to lather well and one of the soaps left my face with a burning sensation. Something didn't agree with me there.
I have 4 more to try but I think I've just moved on.

I also tried Mikes natural today and that doesn't lather for me well either, so some soaps work well for me and some don't

I've found that it helps to wring most of the water out of the brush (it's damp but contains very little water volume), and to load on the puck for a generous amount of time. These artisan, tallow based soaps can be a little more resistant to actually coming off the puck and getting enough material to lather, or if the brush is too wet it's watery mess that doesn't get enough soap in the equation before proto-lather forms.

As for the face irritation, I'd try a different scent because the oils and fragrances are probably the culprit. These soaps don't really have "active ingredients" to irritate other than any fragrances that are added.

0 303