10-28-2013, 04:10 AM
User Info
[Image: nKMnnbn.jpg][Image: uDd9rGQ.jpg][Image: SiAmDGK.jpg]I have recently tried quite a few of the new Synthetic Brushes. My two favorites are the Muhle V2 STF Classic 23mm in olive wood and the Whipped Dog 22mm Synthetic with a resin handle. Without considering the cost, the Muhle is the nicest, but the cost was a little over $65 w/shipping from Connaught which took 12 days. The Whipped Dog was $22 shipped and I had it in two days. In reality both brushes perform well. Aesthetically the Muhle wins. I like a wood handle, and really like the feel of the olive wood, it isn't higly varnished/lacquered so that it feels like raw wood. Muhle must just rub in a oil to seal/waterproof it. I had the older version. 54mm loft, black fibre HJM brush and the WD, IMHO, is hands down better. Not as floppy/soft as the HJM. In a comparison of the WD vs HJM, the WD was hands down the winner. Both being fairly equally price. The WD handle is very nice and the knot, although not as pretty as the other synthetic knots,[Image: MK7r5Mg.jpg] it is quite a performer.
I bowl lather with creams pretty much so take that into consideration when reading this.
Anyways I am quite happy with these two brushes and probably will retire my badgers for awhile until I can find any weaknesses with the Synthetics. So far they outperform my TGN Finest Badgers and clean up easier, dry faster, what's not to like?

18 201
 10-28-2013, 08:35 AM
User Info
Very nice looking brushes!
I also really enjoy my synthetics and have a few of the older Frank Shaving synthetics that are equally as good as the new Generation 4 hair. Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-28-2013, 04:37 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(10-28-2013, 08:35 AM)celestino Wrote: Very nice looking brushes!
I also really enjoy my synthetics and have a few of the older Frank Shaving synthetics that are equally as good as the new Generation 4 hair. Biggrin

I agree. There are some great examples from other generations that make wonderful brushes. I still count some Generation 3 and 3.5 brushes as among my favorites. They're like fine sports cars--the newest are not necessarily more desirable than classic models.

0 254
 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(10-28-2013, 04:37 PM)Codfish Wrote: I agree. There are some great examples from other generations that make wonderful brushes. I still count some Generation 3 and 3.5 brushes as among my favorites. They're like fine sports cars--the newest are not necessarily more desirable than classic models.

Ditto. I have 3 Muhle STF V1 and one V2, and while I enjoy them all...I find I prefer the V1's much more.

31 1,510
 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
User Info
I have two no name synthetics with what look to be the same knots as the whipped dog brush in the photos and they perform very well. I would honestly take them over most any badger hair brush out there. They don't look as nice but I think the performance can't be beat.

I also have a few handles I would like to re-knot using some synthetic knots from the thegoldennib.com. Anyone have any experience with them and care to comment about the quality?

9 90
 11-02-2013, 05:38 PM
User Info
After quite a bit of searching, I still can't find it...what does STF stand for?

31 1,800
 11-02-2013, 05:46 PM
User Info
(11-02-2013, 05:38 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: After quite a bit of searching, I still can't find it...what does STF stand for?

Silver Tip Fibre (Fiber)

1 2,827
 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM
User Info