10-28-2013, 06:35 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Blades AD is the only AD that I did NOT have. I've tried 20-25 brands, loved the Iridiums, still use them exclusively and very happy.

I've recently discovered old bunch of blades and in that pile was this
[Image: p9i8SMk.jpg]

Since I was bored, I've tried it this morning and was shocked at how good this blade was. Sharp and smooth all the way.
I am taking it on the all week challenge, proving something to my 1000+ Iridiums.

I know there is at least 1 vintage blade nut in here Biggrin
What kind of blade is it? Where can I get it? What else should I try?

88 4,233
 10-28-2013, 06:48 PM
User Info
Steve, I haven't used that brand, but I have been using the vintage Wilkinson Swords and find them to be the best DE blades I have ever used; as sharp as the Super Iridiums, but smoother and longer longevity! I can usually use one for 9-11 shaves. Economically, I don't think they are equal to the Super Iridiums, but if you like very smooth blades, they are well worth it. I would love to be using the vintage Wilkinson Swords as my only blades, but that would be pricey if I plan on living to be 130!!!Biggrin

75 20,884
 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM
User Info
Steve, if the back of the card lists the names of Swedish cities, including Oslo, then what you have there is the highly-sought-after "Swedes," considered by some to be among the top two or three blades ever made. If no Swedish cities are listed, then they are "just" Super Silvers, not as highly prized but still good.

183 12,002
 10-28-2013, 07:04 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
No, says Buenos Aires, Argentina Sad
Can't imagine there are even better blades!

88 4,233
 10-28-2013, 09:28 PM
User Info
(10-28-2013, 07:04 PM)beartrap Wrote: Can't imagine there are even better blades!

Obviously YMMV, etc., and opinions certainly vary a lot, but my impression has been that on all the shaving forums the vintage blades mentioned most often as being the best (and therefore commanding the highest prices) are the "Swedes," Personna 74s, and Wilkinson Light Brigades.

183 12,002
 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I think blade is cheap enough already, I use 1 Iridium a week, so "per shave" expense, as everybody like to call it, is minimal. If I find an even better blade at double or triple the price, still acceptable if it'll bring me double the pleasure Biggrin
I've seen you talk about Light Brigades before, are they different from Wilkinson Swords Celestino is talking about above?

88 4,233
 10-28-2013, 09:57 PM
User Info
(10-28-2013, 09:33 PM)beartrap Wrote: I've seen you talk about Light Brigades before, are they different from Wilkinson Swords Celestino is talking about above?

Yes, they are chromium plated, a different blade than the Swords. The Light Brigades always were packaged, I believe, on cards with one or the other of two images of a mounted cavalryman (sometimes described as representing the Battle of Waterloo, really confusing the issue).
[Image: 1kJvD0S.jpg]

Although a couple of our forum members seem to prefer the Swords, the majority of folks who have used both types rate the Light Brigades higher.

And this is an image of one version of the "Swedes."
[Image: mnDvOQh.jpg]

183 12,002
 10-28-2013, 10:03 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Thanks, John. I guess I'll have to try both!

88 4,233
 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Second shave with this blade today. Tried in the super aggressive Fatip... Even better!

88 4,233
 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I use vintage Gillette Platinum Plus' and Schicks. I'm about to pick up some Personna 74's which I hear are the best double edge blades on the planet, http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/07/30...zor-blade/ and am going to try a Blue blade tomorrow. I think I have the early stage of vintage blade disorder.

5 2,006
 10-29-2013, 08:26 PM
User Info
Steve, I was lucky enough to have a bunch of vintage blades PIFed to me on another forum. None of them were the blades that will be carved in stone as having renown. All were uniformly very good to excellent. None were better than the best blades made today. Of course that's just my opinion.

From that testing I gathered that should one want a really good blade without the bother of testing, buy vintage as long as it's stainless steel. Don't even consider carbon steel- I've never used even a passable vintage CS blade. If one doesn't require immediate gratification one can test modern manufactured blades to find what works; or just ask on the forum for the sharpest smoothest blades made today and they'll be the equivalent of the vintage blades. Your Iridiums are one of them. That last will also save one substantial $ if that's what one is looking for. Not everyone is looking for sharp and smooth.

Nothing in shaving is as much YMMV as blades; I get that.

32 6,308