10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I am looking for suggestions for a good coffee maker for the office keeping in mind that I do not have a kitchen sink making clean-up a challenge. Due to the clean-up challenge, I will be using paper cups at work. I was thinking of a Clever Coffee Maker but am open to suggestions.

45 16,285
 10-28-2013, 08:47 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 10-28-2013, 08:48 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Tassimo. Takes care of cleaning problem. Limited to what you want to brew, but...

88 4,233
 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-28-2013, 08:47 PM)Agravic Wrote: Keurig?

I currently have a Keurig but am not too pleased with the quality of the coffee. Perhaps I need to get an adapter and grind my own coffee for it.

45 16,285
 10-28-2013, 08:55 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
We use a Keurig system at my office. We have a water cooler with 5 gallon bottles of water delivered regularly which helps with keeping fresh water in the maker. The system makes decent coffee but it is a far cry from your home set up.

I just bought an electric kettle and will be experimenting with pour over coffee and may add this to my office brewing arsenal.

So, to recap, Keurig works well in an office setting and I will update this suggestion to add the electric kettle option if I can seamlessly add it to my office setup. Tbd.

27 860
 10-28-2013, 08:55 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-28-2013, 08:48 PM)beartrap Wrote: Tassimo. Takes care of cleaning problem. Limited to what you want to brew, but...

I am not familiar with this one. I will have to investigate.

45 16,285
 10-28-2013, 09:05 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
You really don't want to go back to pods? you have been exposed to Aeropress,fresh roast and now with the Zass fresh ground. There is no going back you have entered the dark side. Clever dripper may be the way to go. However there are 2 very important variables which must be taken care of if the dripper is to be sucessful.
1. Cleanliness is crucial. Even without a kitchen sink. A possible way around this could be periodic soaks of the dipper in Cafiza.
2. Temperature is crucial in pourover. Use a programable electric Kettle.
3. Styrofoam cups? REALLY??? Get a thermos type cup and take it home with you at night and wash it out. You might want to do the same with the clever coffee diper.

57 916
 10-28-2013, 10:58 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
IMO an office coffee maker needs it's ease of use to matched by the quality of the brew.
Therefore an automatic coffee machine that produces a variety of beverages would be my recommendation.
You don't have a kitchen Phil and therefore won't be interested in anything that requires any real maintenance and cleaning.

I own a Saeco Phillips similar to the one pictured below.

[Image: sH9fL3T.jpg]

It makes espresso, espresso lungo, cappuccino, latte, macchiato etc etc.
IMO perfect for home or the small office.

This is my 6th coffee machine and is the one I've been most satisfied with.
It does't take up much space.
Can be used in a fully automated mode ore as manually as you desire.
It's quiet, reliable and an all in one solution.
With each purchase I've almost double my investment each time and unfortunately I must admit you get what you pay for...

91 17,798
 10-29-2013, 05:57 AM
User Info
Tassimo is an excellent choice.

0 156
 10-29-2013, 07:20 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-28-2013, 09:05 PM)Barrylu Wrote: You really don't want to go back to pods? you have been exposed to Aeropress,fresh roast and now with the Zass fresh ground. There is no going back you have entered the dark side. Clever dripper may be the way to go. However there are 2 very important variables which must be taken care of if the dripper is to be sucessful.
1. Cleanliness is crucial. Even without a kitchen sink. A possible way around this could be periodic soaks of the dipper in Cafiza.
3. Styrofoam cups? REALLY??? Get a thermos type cup and take it home with you at night and wash it out. You might want to do the same with the clever coffee diper.

No...Paper cups (like you would get at Starbucks).

45 16,285
 10-29-2013, 08:22 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(10-29-2013, 07:20 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(10-28-2013, 09:05 PM)Barrylu Wrote: You really don't want to go back to pods? you have been exposed to Aeropress,fresh roast and now with the Zass fresh ground. There is no going back you have entered the dark side. Clever dripper may be the way to go. However there are 2 very important variables which must be taken care of if the dripper is to be sucessful.

Still not really acceptible.Styrofoam= Bic diposable
Starbuck Cup = Multi blade cart
Handthrown Coffee Mug with Bull Goose Logo = Cobra
Truthfully, after using the Clever Coffee driper where are you going to store the coffee? You will need a good thermos device. Perhaps one of the pump models. Get either a thermos cup or a Bull Goose one.
http://www.espressozone.com/barista-tool...ee-carafes

Clean-up can be done now in your office. Heat clean up water in your electric kettle. Put a little Cafiza in the thermos and on a sponge. Pour hot water into thermos wisk around a bottle brush in the thermos. Sponge off the clever dipper and Bull Goose coffee cup (Order a dozen and give them out as Christmas gifts). Let dry overnight and you are ready for the next morning

57 916
 10-29-2013, 09:14 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(10-29-2013, 08:22 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
(10-29-2013, 07:20 AM)bullgoose Wrote:

Still not really acceptible.Styrofoam= Bic diposable
Starbuck Cup = Multi blade cart
Handthrown Coffee Mug with Bull Goose Logo = Cobra
Truthfully, after using the Clever Coffee driper where are you going to store the coffee? You will need a good thermos device. Perhaps one of the pump models. Get either a thermos cup or a Bull Goose one.
http://www.espressozone.com/barista-tool...ee-carafes

Clean-up can be done now in your office. Heat clean up water in your electric kettle. Put a little Cafiza in the thermos and on a sponge. Pour hot water into thermos wisk around a bottle brush in the thermos. Sponge off the clever dipper and Bull Goose coffee cup (Order a dozen and give them out as Christmas gifts). Let dry overnight and you are ready for the next morning

That sounds like an excellent idea! Biggrin Thanks Barry.

45 16,285
 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
or to avoid clean up and save time an IV drip can be administered by Conrad Murray MD who is now released from prison and/or the new Coffee patches are available by prescription from Starbucks Pharmacy soon opening on every corner....no mess...no fuss...Just hold an empty coffee mug and visualize the drinking experience with hot water and these special coffee "pills" called VIA believe....good luck in your decision and may the "Force be with you" on your Coffee journeyBiggrin

6 1,913
 10-29-2013, 09:46 AM
User Info
I can't stand Keurig and Tassimo systems. The easiest thing for your situation is something that takes paper filters. The Clever dripper is a solid choice, except that you can easily walk away and forget about it and come back to a cold brew. A Melitta #2 or the Bee House ceramic version are good.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/c...large.html

If you want to make more than one cup at a time get a Chemex.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/c...rewer.html

15 762
 10-29-2013, 09:56 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Phil, pour overs take time to brew. How fast will you want that cup of coffee? Will you be able to stop what you are doing to make a pour over cuppa several times a day? Even an AeroPress, as much as I love mine, may also be too time consuming.

Depending on cost, perhaps Ben's idea would be best.

2 11,211
 11-09-2013, 07:45 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Just picked up a great coffee maker...Bonavita 8 Cup Thermal carafe...uses #4 paper filters and the carafe keeps the coffee warm for 2 or 3 hours...Automatically shuts off after brewing and other than switching tops on the carafe...you are set. The carafe is glass lined stainless and it really works...brews at the correct temperature and is $100.00 less than the Moccamaster...check it out at Roastmasters.com (cost $169.99...no tax and free shipping)....this is for my house I don,t have an office!!!!

6 1,913
 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Instant hot water, easy to clean. They also make a stainless steel version.

[Image: xRw3ymc.jpg]

173 23,490
 11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
That is a good choice for an office...Roastmasters has that as well in stainless for $159.95 and looks like it is built extra heavy duty...they have a write up on it and they way some people drink coffee that is a very fast machine with the water on preheat...

6 1,913
 11-11-2013, 09:51 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Harvey, that is the only coffee maker I've used for the past 32 years. I would not be without one.

173 23,490
 11-11-2013, 10:53 AM
User Info
Cheapest Mr Coffee that was large enough for your group. I would buy a new one for them every New Years. Hopefully the same model so we could keep the pot.

5 410