10-29-2013, 08:48 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Many people who for years have happily had their morning brew perhaps Folgers instant or a cup from 7-11 suddenly are studying burr grinders,buying timers and spending hours learning about various forms of coffee brewers and being aware of the magic 195 degree 4 minute brew formula...importing and roasting their own beans and devoting 1/2 of their kitchens and work space to the perfect coffee machine and using only glacier water and learning about special filters.....yes my friends...CAD has arrived and we are quickly being addicted....I now know more about coffee than I do about razors and blades....(and trust me I know one hell of a lot about that subject)...i have been to Starbucks and seen the Clover system in action..I have studied grams to ounces conversion and even studied coffee measures...all I can say is for the love of G-D help me before I end up with a coffee cave to go along with my shave cave....I might combine my latest interst and use hot coffee in my scuttle and measure my shave cream with my coffee measure....use my timer to warm up my razor and brush and then my Aerolatte to whip my cream.....HELP ME QUICKLY Before my wife asks again..."what in the hell are your looking at" when she walks in the computer room and sees me studying coffee machines and burr grinders and thinks I am having sex on line!!!!

6 1,913
 10-29-2013, 09:03 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(10-29-2013, 08:48 AM)Harvey Wrote: Many people who for years have happily had their morning brew perhaps Folgers instant or a cup from 7-11 suddenly are studying burr grinders,buying timers and spending hours learning about various forms of coffee brewers and being aware of the magic 195 degree 4 minute brew formula...importing and roasting their own beans and devoting 1/2 of their kitchens and work space to the perfect coffee machine and using only glacier water and learning about special filters.....yes my friends...CAD has arrived and we are quickly being addicted....I now know more about coffee than I do about razors and blades....(and trust me I know one hell of a lot about that subject)...i have been to Starbucks and seen the Clover system in action..I have studied grams to ounces conversion and even studied coffee measures...all I can say is for the love of G-D help me before I end up with a coffee cave to go along with my shave cave....I might combine my latest interst and use hot coffee in my scuttle and measure my shave cream with my coffee measure....use my timer to warm up my razor and brush and then my Aerolatte to whip my cream.....HELP ME QUICKLY Before my wife asks again..."what in the hell are your looking at" when she walks in the computer room and sees me studing coffee machines and burr grinders and thinks i am having sex on line!!!!
Harvey you are right. I have found fertile ground among wet shavers to spread Coffee OCD. Only this form of OCD is better described as CDO. It is such a severe form that there is even a need to alphabetize the acronymn.

57 916
 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(10-29-2013, 09:03 AM)Barrylu Wrote:
(10-29-2013, 08:48 AM)Harvey Wrote: Many people who for years have happily had their morning brew perhaps Folgers instant or a cup from 7-11 suddenly are studying burr grinders,buying timers and spending hours learning about various forms of coffee brewers and being aware of the magic 195 degree 4 minute brew formula...importing and roasting their own beans and devoting 1/2 of their kitchens and work space to the perfect coffee machine and using only glacier water and learning about special filters.....yes my friends...CAD has arrived and we are quickly being addicted....I now know more about coffee than I do about razors and blades....(and trust me I know one hell of a lot about that subject)...i have been to Starbucks and seen the Clover system in action..I have studied grams to ounces conversion and even studied coffee measures...all I can say is for the love of G-D help me before I end up with a coffee cave to go along with my shave cave....I might combine my latest interst and use hot coffee in my scuttle and measure my shave cream with my coffee measure....use my timer to warm up my razor and brush and then my Aerolatte to whip my cream.....HELP ME QUICKLY Before my wife asks again..."what in the hell are your looking at" when she walks in the computer room and sees me studing coffee machines and burr grinders and thinks i am having sex on line!!!!
Harvey you are right. I have found fertile ground among wet shavers to spread Coffee OCD. Only this form of OCD is better described as CDO. It is such a severe form that there is even a need to alphabetize the acronymn.

Laughing1

So true ... Biggrin

102 17,662
 10-29-2013, 09:50 AM
User Info
Harvey, start drinking tea and you will be fine! Yerba Mate will get you off coffee, I think! Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-29-2013, 09:59 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
But, Harvey, it's so much fun (and tastes good)! Biggrin

2 11,211
 10-29-2013, 10:36 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I know...I know....if I switched to tea it would be TAD...I would need special pots,filters,tea blends,timers,cups and pure water sources....the real reason most of us are "fussy' is because we are smart enough to learn and seek out the best and not simply accept mediocrity...and for that I say "go for it man...we hurt nobody in our choices so have fun and keep the economy strong!!!!"

6 1,913
 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
You are missing the link. You make the coffee to sip on before your shower while your warming up your brush. Put on some good music or a good podcast, take a shower, a nice shave, a little more coffee while you decide on the aftershave, splash-splash, finish off the cup while getting dressed. Reload the cup just before your out the door...

The world be damned, your ready for anything!!!

It all fits...it's part of God's plan, along with beer, to let you know he loves you and wants you to be happy!

1 58
 10-29-2013, 04:09 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Hey you nailed it....we be men...we lovin life and goin for gusto and damnit...we deserve the best!!!!!!CHEERS,Beers and Java shots!!!CoolSmileAngelCoolExclamationExclamationExclamation

6 1,913
 10-29-2013, 04:59 PM
User Info
My name is Danny and I have CAD, RAD, BAD, STR8AD, and lots of other shave related AD's. Fascinating that there is this connection between coffee and shaving! I've been wet shaving for several years, discovered home roasting about a year ago. Intelligentsia was getting too expensive-what I roast is 1/3 the price and better.

1 55
 10-29-2013, 05:17 PM
User Info
Agreed! How are your doing your home roasting?

1 58
 10-29-2013, 05:18 PM
User Info
Actually, the only really expensive and out of the ordinary coffee item I've bought is a grinder.

My first one lasted for four years and only set me back $100. Ikon IIRC. Then I upgraded to a Maestro Virtuoso a couple years ago and my coffee is slightly better, but not really.

I've broken around 4 french press pots. I still have three. Now I've switched to a hario pour over because I'm tired of having to wash out those screens and the coffee doesn't have the sludge. I admit, the FP is a more robust flavor, but I'm only willing to put up with so much.

As for timers, etc; I already owned a Tiger hot pot which keeps the temperature at 208; an RO system is a pretty smart decision around here; and the stove timer works just fine, otherwise my smart phone.

Beans, I just buy from local roasters. I've found a good one and I'm sticking with him until he starts not being good.

9 2,988
 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM
User Info
(10-29-2013, 05:17 PM)BrushnBlade Wrote: Agreed! How are your doing your home roasting?

Behmor 1600. I've had it for about a year and have been very happy with it.

1 55
 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You young folks don't have a clue (excluding Freddy and Harvey). Wait until you retire and you have nothing on your hands but time. Talk about shaving and coffee disorders, you will have plenty of time for them.

You youngsters are a bad influence on me. Biggrin

173 23,494
 11-02-2013, 03:34 PM
User Info
I don't really see retirement in my future. I'd get too bored. Cool

9 2,988
 11-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(11-02-2013, 03:34 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I don't really see retirement in my future. I'd get too bored. Cool

Funny, I've been retired for more than ten years and I'm a whole lot less bored than when I was working. Biggrin

2 11,211
 11-02-2013, 04:08 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(11-02-2013, 04:00 PM)freddy Wrote:
(11-02-2013, 03:34 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: I don't really see retirement in my future. I'd get too bored. Cool

Funny, I've been retired for more than ten years and I'm a whole lot less bored than when I was working. Biggrin

Biggrin Makes perfect sense to me.

45 16,292
 11-02-2013, 05:27 PM
User Info
My "expensive" roasting setup.[Image: XxBueqg.jpg]

1 58
 11-03-2013, 10:45 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Soon we will all be importing our own beans and feeding them to our cats ...and then roasting the cats after we remove the beans....maybe it is time for a great cup of 7-11 master brew from 3 days ago....yummy!!!

6 1,913