10-29-2013, 08:16 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1270766.JPG?m=1383105702]

Thanks to Grant for borrowing me this shaving brush.Thanks a lot , sir !

This shaving brush is an special edition (or limited edition) for members of the forum B&B and named after one of the gentleman en charged of this group buy.

I must admit that I have very mixed feelings about this brush : I simply adore the handle , but dislike the blonde badger hair on it.Yes , the handle is superb , but the hair is not what I was expecting.

[Image: P1270767.JPG?m=1383105702]

For what I understand , the handle is a creation of "Chief" , the person who came with the idea of the group buy.I must say that the handle is simply gorgeous , both on its shape as in the material that is made with.

[Image: P1270768.JPG?m=1383105704]

This is a very ergonomic handle , quiet close to my favorite one , the Rooney 1/2 style , so easy to hold on the hand while using it and also the handle is quiet heavy too.If we add that the imitation tortoishell is simply stunning , we have a winner.Well done for its design , "Chief" , this handle is a classic of classics.

But if the handle is simply nothing less than superb , the hair of this brush (or at least , this particular brush has ) is not very impressive , to be honest.

[Image: P1270769.JPG?m=1383105645]

It is not as dense as I was expecting for a 24 mm knot brush.Yes , I know that two band hair is thicker than 3 band hair , but being a LE edition , this brush deserved more hair (at least 15% more of hair for sure) on its knot. I dont know if the reason behind it was to keep this brush on a "low" price , but , once again , I was expecting more hair on the knot.

[Image: P1270765.JPG?m=1383105645]

The hair has a good backbone with a correct flow , and the tips are soft (not ultra soft) and reminds me of the TGN finest badger knots I have tried (well , TGN ones have softer tips) or even the Wiborg Shaving two band brush I have.Here a couple shots with the Wiborg Shaving brush (a 26 mm knot one , by the way ) :

[Image: DSC_0441.JPG?m=1383105702]

[Image: DSC_0444-01.JPG?m=1383105702]

Once again , not a scratchy tipped brush , but not ultra soft like the Rooney XL/Stubby gel alike tips that many of us appreciate so much.

Performs well with both soaps and creams , but to be honest , is not my fav brush of all the ones made by Mr Lee Sabini that I had the pleasure to try/test.

Brilliant , gorgeous handle with a so-so hair.Nothing is perfect , I guess.

Once again , thanks to Grant , a true gentleman.

86 7,124
 10-29-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
Teiste, thanks for the review! You must have a great deal of fun testing out all of these products, my friend! Biggrin

75 20,883
 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
The M&F brush is exquisite ... thank you for sharing the lovely photos and review, Teiste.
Ken (ChiefBroom) spent many hours/days getting the design just right, working alongside Lee Sabini ... and the results are magnificent! Although I've not tried one of these brushes myself, I suspect the knot used was not a typical representation of Sabini's custom creations .... sounds like it is a tad less dense than what I'm familiar with in terms of my M&F brushes.

102 17,671
 10-30-2013, 12:01 AM
User Info
I have one of these brushes and they sold for approx £60 which is ridiculously cheap for a Custom Sabini.

I agree with most of what Teiste has said. It doesn't have hair that can rival "heritage" stubby levels but is a very good performer indeed.

8 243
 10-30-2013, 01:43 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Teiste your reviews are always of the highest calibre, thanks for sharing!

91 17,875
 10-30-2013, 01:49 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste!

25 4,642
 10-30-2013, 05:30 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Thank you for taking the time to review this wonderful brush. It's an honor to have met you. Your review agrees with a few of my thoughts which disagree with a few of the recipients in the main thread for the brush. I felt that I have softer brushes. There is definitely a mild amount of scritch. I also expected a little bit more density, but for the price I feel that it is an outstanding brush. The handle is easily one of the most comfortable handles I have ever used.

9 734
 10-30-2013, 08:02 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I used my Chief again this morning and focused really hard on the performance of the knot. The tips of my brush are very soft with no scritch and this combines very well with the medium-high backbone of the thicker hairs. The density, for me, is just right providing ample feedback when face lathering yet allowing the lather to flow very well for a full four-pass shave. This is my only experience with 2-band hair from Lee, but I hold it in the same regard as my Shavemac D01 2-band and prefer it over my Emperor 2 Super 2-band (recently sold), Vie-Long 2-band, and Joris (Plisson) European White (2-band). It is, in fact, one of my favorite brushes.

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. Angel Of course I have looked back at some of Teiste's other reviews and we definitely have some different tastes as he really raved about the WSP brushes which I am not as big a fan of. Though we both agree that the Rooney style 1 brushes are tops (though I prefer the size 1 to Teiste's preference for size 2).

[Image: 0ogUW1L.jpg]

127 2,393
 10-30-2013, 09:29 AM
User Info
Nice review and lovely pictures Teiste.

63 2,128
 10-30-2013, 09:32 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-30-2013, 08:02 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I used my Chief again this morning and focused really hard on the performance of the knot. The tips of my brush are very soft with no scritch and this combines very well with the medium-high backbone of the thicker hairs. The density, for me, is just right providing ample feedback when face lathering yet allowing the lather to flow very well for a full four-pass shave. This is my only experience with 2-band hair from Lee, but I hold it in the same regard as my Shavemac D01 2-band and prefer it over my Emperor 2 Super 2-band (recently sold), Vie-Long 2-band, and Joris (Plisson) European White (2-band). It is, in fact, one of my favorite brushes.

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess. Angel Of course I have looked back at some of Teiste's other reviews and we definitely have some different tastes as he really raved about the WSP brushes which I am not as big a fan of. Though we both agree that the Rooney style 1 brushes are tops (though I prefer the size 1 to Teiste's preference for size 2).

[Image: 0ogUW1L.jpg]

Dave :

the more opinions we have , the better , my friend. Biggrin

By the way , I shaved with a T&H 1/1 today , as I will do tomorrow and Friday (I have 3 of them ). Wink

86 7,124
 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I own one, not in love with it. Not a bad brush at all, just own others I like better. If the density was a tad more and the glue bump not so prominent, it would be near perfect.

135 1,947
 10-30-2013, 10:50 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(10-30-2013, 10:41 AM)Shanman Wrote: I own one, not in love with it. Not a bad brush at all, just own others I like better. If the density was a tad more and the glue bump not so prominent, it would be near perfect.

There must have been quite a variation from brush to brush because my brush has no detectible glue bump. I got my brush in the first batch that got shipped, I'm not sure if the differences came from brush to brush or batch to batch.

127 2,393
 10-30-2013, 10:59 AM
User Info
(10-30-2013, 10:50 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 10:41 AM)Shanman Wrote: I own one, not in love with it. Not a bad brush at all, just own others I like better. If the density was a tad more and the glue bump not so prominent, it would be near perfect.

There must have been quite a variation from brush to brush because my brush has no detectible glue bump. I got my brush in the first batch that got shipped, I'm not sure if the differences came from brush to abrush or batch to batch.

I'm with you on this one. My brush, quality wise is spot on. I got one of the first batches. I also put it below my heritage hair 2xl's I have. It's cracking value for money but for a dedicated face latherer I too prefer more density.

Still, it's staying in my rotation.

8 243
 10-30-2013, 10:59 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-30-2013, 10:50 AM)blzrfn Wrote:

There must have been quite a variation from brush to brush because my brush has no detectible glue bump. I got my brush in the first batch that got shipped, I'm not sure if the differences came from brush to brush or batch to batch.

The one I tested had a small glue bump.Interesting.The thing is that there is not 2 brushes alike , specially the hand made ones (as these brushes are ) , so the more opinions about them , the better.

Another guy here have tested it before me , so I hope he can pop up and write his impressions about it.

86 7,124
 10-30-2013, 11:22 AM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
This brush was also from the first batch.

9 734
 10-30-2013, 11:41 AM
User Info
Very interesting comments my friend. I agree with your assessment of the handle... it's great. My experience with the knot is vastly different.

I've tried two of these (own one) and they were both quite soft, perhaps the softest batch of M&F hair I've ever tried. Dense brushes are not hard to find within the M&F line, but this was made to be less dense intentionally so that its flow through would be better. This was to fit the preferences of the creator of the brush, not some kind of flaw or oversight. I've found the performance to be absolutely fantastic. I was previously a density maniac and have found that this level of density improves flow through dramatically and so it seems I'm getting a lot more lather out of what I load, even with a smaller knot. The brush has plenty of backbone and has been phenomenal with both soaps and creams. I haven't wanted to use another brush in quite some time. YMMV but as Bruce mentioned I believe there is broad consensus here. Nice to hear alternative points of view.

52 476
 10-30-2013, 12:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(10-30-2013, 11:41 AM)squatzilla801 Wrote: Very interesting comments my friend. I agree with your assessment of the handle... it's great. My experience with the knot is vastly different.

I've tried two of these (own one) and they were both quite soft, perhaps the softest batch of M&F hair I've ever tried. Dense brushes are not hard to find within the M&F line, but this was made to be less dense intentionally so that its flow through would be better. This was to fit the preferences of the creator of the brush, not some kind of flaw or oversight. I've found the performance to be absolutely fantastic. I was previously a density maniac and have found that this level of density improves flow through dramatically and so it seems I'm getting a lot more lather out of what I load, even with a smaller knot. The brush has plenty of backbone and has been phenomenal with both soaps and creams. I haven't wanted to use another brush in quite some time. YMMV but as Bruce mentioned I believe there is broad consensus here. Nice to hear alternative points of view.

That makes sense. I thought it was related to keep the price low but if the creator likes (as I do ) brushes with a good flow , that was the best option , instead of rising the loft over 50 mm.

I think that if the "Chief" would have mounted the 3 band badger hair that this brush has : Morris and Forndran Silvertip shaving brush I would have found one of my Holy Grails , with no doubt...

86 7,124
 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
(10-30-2013, 11:41 AM)squatzilla801 Wrote: this was made to be less dense intentionally so that its flow through would be better. This was to fit the preferences of the creator of the brush, not some kind of flaw or oversight. I've found the performance to be absolutely fantastic.

I completely agree with this now that I have tried the dense 2XL thanks to tailoredfancam this morning. Thinking back to how the Chief performs and feels, I didn't like the overly packed feeling that came with the 2XL. I just wish that my brush was a little softer, but if it was then it wouldn't have as tactile of a feeling so ignore my rambling thoughts.

I do remember when Ken first posted up about the group buy that he specifically wanted a thinner brush to improve on the amount of lather being released.

Ken, if you're reading this, did you try different densities when testing out the prototypes?

9 734
 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM
User Info
This has been almost my exact experience with the brush. Mine is incredibly soft, much more than my 1/2 Blonde Badger. There is absolutely no scritch. The knot density leads to superior flow through and it makes great lather with ease. It is not a brush for those who want a ton of backbone or scrub. I find it a joy to use, easily my favorite brush in the den right now. I belive mine came from batch 2.

(10-30-2013, 11:41 AM)squatzilla801 Wrote: I've tried two of these (own one) and they were both quite soft, perhaps the softest batch of M&F hair I've ever tried. I've found the performance to be absolutely fantastic. I was previously a density maniac and have found that this level of density improves flow through dramatically and so it seems I'm getting a lot more lather out of what I load, even with a smaller knot.

15 762
 10-30-2013, 01:23 PM
User Info
For me I think the brush is fantastic. For £60 it's an absolute bargain.

The knot suits me perfect, it reminds me of my Douglas but with softer tips.

A great balance of backbone, soft tips and flow. The handle is the best handle I own. Also the finish, it's perfect, extremely highly polished. Not many other manufactures can match it or even come close IMO on the finish.

I love this brush!

7 1,179