10-30-2013, 04:20 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I recently found an old Gillette blade case with three of these in it........and an old Thin in just it's wax paper. I'm wondering if I should try one or keep them all as just something to decorate my den......
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/19...0Blade.jpg
[Image: 1935%20%28F3%29%20Gillette%20Blue%20Blade.jpg]

5 2,006
 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
Oh, I thought this was going to be about Robert Johnson and selling his soul to the devil to play the guitar!

Johnson was not satisified with his own musical abilities and felt that he needed more talent to achieve success. He was already bitter toward his creator, blaming God for the death of his beloved wife and unborn child. Despondent and irrational, he made a momentous decision. At the stroke of midnight, he walked down to the windswept crossroads at the junction of Highways 61 and 49 in Clarksdale, MS. Reciting an ancient incantation, he called upon Satan himself to rise from the fires of Hell. In exchange for Johnson's immortal soul, the devil tuned his guitar, thereby giving him the abilities which he so desired. From then on, the young bluesman played his instrument with an unearthly style, his fingers dancing over the strings. His voice moaned and wailed, expressing the deepest sorrows of a condemned sinner.

72 1,407
 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM
User Info
Old stuff is neat....What is that incantation stuff? I love the blues.

0 80
 10-30-2013, 10:16 AM
User Info
(10-30-2013, 05:29 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Oh, I thought this was going to be about Robert Johnson and selling his soul to the devil to play the guitar!

+1 I have tried those blades and found them to be terrible! However, you may find them to your liking. Good luck.

75 20,883
 10-30-2013, 03:33 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(10-30-2013, 10:16 AM)celestino Wrote:
(10-30-2013, 05:29 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Oh, I thought this was going to be about Robert Johnson and selling his soul to the devil to play the guitar!

+1 I have tried those blades and found them to be terrible! However, you may find them to your liking. Good luck.

These were the only blades available back in the 50s so we had no choice but to use them if you wanted to wet shave. I didn't know about injectors until later on. The worst blades today are better then those carbon jobs.

100 12,442
 10-30-2013, 09:17 PM
User Info
Carbon blades were OK in their day because they were used before atmosphereic O2 could rust them. That is if they were used soon after being made. If they waited to be bought and used they were horrible. You can't see the micro rust, but it will be there guaranteed after 60+ years.

I've tried better looking blades than those in wrappers one would think would survive a shipwreck and keep the blades dry. Every one has been terrible. IMO look at them but don't shave with them and expect anything. THBS, go for it because you know you're dying to shave with one. Just have a modern blade on hand for when you realize the idea of a vintage carbon steel blade is far better than the reality.

FWIW, I remember when SS blades came out. The TV advertisements touted the longevity of the edge and the fact that they didn't rust.

32 6,309
 10-31-2013, 01:40 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
I think I'll stick to using SS vintage blades and assign these to my museum. BTW, I got that pack of Personna 74s. Can't wait to try them.

5 2,006
 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
You know, I just noticed, these old blades are quite a bit narrower than todays blades and my current blades don't fit in the vintage case.

5 2,006