10-30-2013, 03:27 PM
User Info
Thread title says it all ... any custom makers producing 4125 style handles?

WWantd to get a 25mm STF or 27mm STF in a handle like the Thater.

Thanks,

JB

97 1,252
 10-31-2013, 05:23 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
As far as I know the Thäter handles are made by shavemac.
But I'm afraid, that they are made exclusively for Thäter only and are not for public sale.

0 229
 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
I'm sure if you contacted any of the custom brush makers they could turn a handle for you in pretty much any shape. I know Rudy Vey could most likely do it and he just got in a bunch of Muhle Sivertip Fibre and Black Fibre knots.

9 90
 10-31-2013, 09:52 AM
User Info
I'm not sure that I've seen a custom made brush with the facets like you are referring to on the Thater/shavemac handle. I've always though about adding those facets to some custom handles I've had done but never thought to ask. I will look forward to seeing what all is shared in this thread.

31 7,914
 10-31-2013, 10:07 AM
User Info
Rudy Vey is making me a 25mm STF brush... he says that lathe turned brushes must be round and not with the faceted look in the sides like the shavemac/thaters

97 1,252
 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM
User Info
(10-31-2013, 10:07 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: Rudy Vey is making me a 25mm STF brush... he says that lathe turned brushes must be round and not with the faceted look in the sides like the shavemac/thaters

I thought I had heard this in the past as well & it makes sense. Thanks for the info.

31 7,914
 10-31-2013, 03:46 PM
User Info
Interesting, I was unaware that Shavemac made the Thäter handles.

63 2,128
 10-31-2013, 04:41 PM
User Info
These handles are not turned on lathe. If you do some digging, I had posted here about my visit to Shavemac in February and one can see how these handles are made.
I might be able to get a few of these handles from them.

0 163
 10-31-2013, 07:11 PM
User Info
(10-31-2013, 04:41 PM)Rudy Vey Wrote: These handles are not turned on lathe. If you do some digging, I had posted here about my visit to Shavemac in February and one can see how these handles are made.

Mr. Vey.... you make that happen and I will be first in line for my second, RV STF synthetic....now we just have to convince you to stock the Muhle STF 27mm if you get these handles. Smile

JBoone

97 1,252
 10-31-2013, 11:43 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Maybe I'm crazy....it is 3:30 am and I was drinking tonight Blush

But, this doesn't look like a hard shape to make Huh
Round stock, round off the ends on the lathe, then some sort of a jig to take even depth swipes with the right size grinding wheel/sanding drum. Just have to make sure you figure out the right spacing for the number of sides, then figure out how deep to grind

I always thought that handle, with all those curves and edges, would look real nice in a highly figured wood

10 411
 11-01-2013, 01:36 AM
User Info
(10-31-2013, 11:43 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: Maybe I'm crazy....it is 3:30 am and I was drinking tonight Blush

Round stock, round off the ends on the lathe, then some sort of a jig to take even depth swipes with the right size grinding wheel/sanding drum. Just have to make sure you figure out the right spacing for the number of sides, then figure out how deep to grind

I always thought that handle, with all those curves and edges, would look real nice in a highly figured wood

Believe me, it is not that easy!! I have put some long and hard thoughts into it, cannot be made simply on a wood lathe. Look up the trip report from me to Shavemac and you see how they are made.

(10-31-2013, 07:11 PM)Boonie21 Wrote:
(10-31-2013, 04:41 PM)Rudy Vey Wrote: These handles are not turned on lathe. If you do some digging, I had posted here about my visit to Shavemac in February and one can see how these handles are made.

Mr. Vey.... you make that happen and I will be first in line for my second, RV STF synthetic....now we just have to convince you to stock the Muhle STF 27mm if you get these handles. Smile

JBoone

I would if they were available. Muehle makes them only up to 25 mm, sorry.

0 163
 11-01-2013, 06:21 AM
User Info
(11-01-2013, 01:36 AM)Rudy Vey Wrote:
(10-31-2013, 11:43 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: Maybe I'm crazy....it is 3:30 am and I was drinking tonight Blush

Believe me, it is not that easy!! I have put some long and hard thoughts into it, cannot be made simply on a wood lathe. Look up the trip report from me to Shavemac and you see how they are made.

(10-31-2013, 07:11 PM)Boonie21 Wrote:

JBoone

I would if they were available. Muehle makes them only up to 25 mm, sorry.

Im sure a few of us would be just fine with a 25mm ... but dint they make the 4125/3 which is a 28mm or 30mm (cant remember) knot. Again, a 25mm RV STF in a handle like this sounds amazing ... anyone else agree? Smile

Sorry ... Muehle only supplies knots up ro 25mm in the STF ... sorry I thought you meant Thater with the handles.

97 1,252
 11-01-2013, 06:52 AM
User Info
There is another way to get a larger knot (28 mm) in a Generation 4 synthetic class. It would involve the process of buying a certain brush and then ...

http://shavenook.com/thread-chopping-a-h...wn-to-size

You just have to be sure to get the original brush.

1 2,827
 11-01-2013, 09:27 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info

I couldn't find the post you're talking about.
I wasn't saying it could be done just on a lathe, I was saying a 2 part process

Step 1:
Use lathe just to round off the "shoulders" where it tapers in at the top and bottom edge
Step 2:
Mark equal distant point for the center of each of the flat sides
Create a jig that will hold the handle in position in front of a grinder or spindle sander, with a stopper built into the jig so that it can only be pushed forward to a certain depth
Push the brush forward to grind away the first side, rotate to the next center point and repeat all the way around

Unfortunately I don't have a grinder or spindle sander to prove the theory. I think a spindle sander would leave a cleaner surface, but I don't know how large of a sanding drum you can have on those....and you'd need a pretty large diameter circle to keep those curves shallow.
But, regardless of how they make theirs, I can't think of any reason this way shouldn't work just fine

10 411
 11-01-2013, 09:30 AM
User Info
Whipped Dog had some Octo-Handles for a while, but nothing on his site right now.

8 2,718
 11-01-2013, 04:33 PM
User Info
(11-01-2013, 09:27 AM)Kavik79 Wrote:

I couldn't find the post you're talking about.
I wasn't saying it could be done just on a lathe, I was saying a 2 part process

Step 1:
Use lathe just to round off the "shoulders" where it tapers in at the top and bottom edge
Step 2:
Mark equal distant point for the center of each of the flat sides
Create a jig that will hold the handle in position in front of a grinder or spindle sander, with a stopper built into the jig so that it can only be pushed forward to a certain depth
Push the brush forward to grind away the first side, rotate to the next center point and repeat all the way around

Unfortunately I don't have a grinder or spindle sander to prove the theory. I think a spindle sander would leave a cleaner surface, but I don't know how large of a sanding drum you can have on those....and you'd need a pretty large diameter circle to keep those curves shallow.
But, regardless of how they make theirs, I can't think of any reason this way shouldn't work just fine

This is the process in principle: round rod is cut to length and then the piece is ground on a grinding wheel that is shaped for the specific brush handle model. The piece is either rotated or for the segmentation it is forwarded in increments, like 45 degrees for the octagonal handle.

0 163