10-31-2013, 08:05 PM
User Info
Received mine a couple of days ago, used it yesterday for the first time. I had read here that some guys say the 101 is milder than the Punktal 101. For that reason I used a shim on it along with the Personna prep blade, and it did a great job. It's a hefty razor, the handle's not too long or too short. Got a nice smooth shave with no cuts or nicks. I like this razor.

24 1,150
 10-31-2013, 08:40 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Gary! I hope you continue to enjoy the razor.
Any pics? Biggrin

75 20,883
 11-01-2013, 08:30 AM
User Info
You didn't even give it a try without the shim?

That's like putting salt on your food at a restaurant before you've tasted it, isn't it?

Oh, and did you buy one of the discounted "blems," or did you get a brand new, unblemished one?

1 1,102
 11-01-2013, 08:50 AM
User Info
When the shave turned out so smooth, I knew it was the right decision. I just nailed it. I'm not aware of any blemishes. I have so many good razors I had buyer's remorse, but after using it,I know it was a great impulse buy!

24 1,150
 11-02-2013, 03:15 AM
User Info
(10-31-2013, 08:05 PM)brothers Wrote: Received mine a couple of days ago, used it yesterday for the first time. I had read here that some guys say the 101 is milder than the Punktal 101. For that reason I used a shim on it along with the Personna prep blade, and it did a great job. It's a hefty razor, the handle's not too long or too short. Got a nice smooth shave with no cuts or nicks. I like this razor.
What do you compare it to?

0 606
 11-03-2013, 04:12 AM
User Info
(11-02-2013, 03:15 AM)alex2363 Wrote: What do you compare it to?

Alex, I didn't answer right away, because I was thinking about how to answer. I think I want to try using my old Punktal 101 with a shim, because I've not done that yet. Also, up to now the Barbasol floating head razor was giving me the best and closest shaves without the harshness. That, plus the Muhle '13 R41 and the Progress at a setting of about 3.5.

Then, to make matters even more interesting, yesterday was the day my straight razors come up in the regular rotation, and I really love using those razors when I can. The razor I used yesterday was the Henkels Friodur 6/8. I had the regular full 3 pass shave, and enjoyed it a lot. Afterward, and this morning, I've discovered that the closeness and smoothness of the shaves provided by the Shavecraft 101 pretty much equals the closeness and smoothness of the shave I got from this old straight razor. Straight razors don't usually(at least for me) leave the same face feel after a shave, as an SE or DE razor. The cut ends of the whiskers usually feel a bit more prickly after being cut by a straight razor. I guess what surprised me most about this fact is that the Henkels must have been extraordinarily sharp this time, because the smoothness and closeness of the shave were almost identical to the face feel following the shave from the Shavecraft 101.

In conclusion, from now on, it seems that all of my other razors, regardless of the type (SE, DE, and straight) are going to be judged by the standard that has been set by the Shavecraft 101 and the Henkels Friodur!

24 1,150
 11-03-2013, 05:17 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice review Gary. The 101 is a smooth shaver and crafted very nicely.

100 12,437
 11-03-2013, 01:11 PM
User Info
Gary, wow, that is some comparison for the Shavecraft 101 to the Henkels Fridour! Enjoy the razors! Smile

75 20,883
 11-03-2013, 07:38 PM
User Info
The Shavecraft head is a nice shaver indeed. Very smooth and efficient, and the blemishes noted for the discount on sales are hardly noticeable.

63 2,128
 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM
  • Mynorx
  • Southern California
User Info
Is Ikon still going to produce this razor?

1 265
 11-05-2013, 10:13 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Listed under "Deals" on the IKON Site for $57.00 + $5.00 shipping

6 1,913
 11-05-2013, 11:17 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I got the chance to try a blemished one (couldn't find anything on it really) as part of a free trial organized on a dutch board. I think this is a good razor that will be appreciated by many beginners and veterans in the shaving community, iKon might have a hit here (I didn't like the slant at all but that's only my personal opinion), to me it's very mild, found no difference between the shave of either side. So far all testers where positive on this one.

27 1,294
 11-17-2013, 08:21 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have used the Shavecraft razor the past few days and I am very impressed. It is a very smooth shaver and seems to fall somewhere between the OSS and the OC Bulldog in terms of aggression. It is a keeper!

I received a shipment of so-called blemished razors but have not been able to spot any blemishes. Huh It is a work of art!

45 16,285
 11-17-2013, 08:37 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
This Shavecraft 101 seems to exemplify the adage that more expensive is not necessarily better - here's a relatively low cost razor head that performs superbly it seems!

102 17,662
 11-17-2013, 09:51 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I too have been impressed with the ShaveCraft ever since previewing in early August (see here).

91 17,798
 11-17-2013, 06:32 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I have been using the ShaveCraft101 more often than any other razor in my rotation since purchasing...It just has a great handle weight and grippy feel in hand. The head design is middle of the pack in aggressiveness, works well with a number of different blades and reminds me of nice value when I use it. I bought mine from a shave shop in Manhattan, in the normal packaging that all iKon razors come in with a sticker on the bottom denoting SC and the words shave craft spelled out below the ikon logo on the front of the box...I bought it literally days after the initial preproduction razors were sold on ikons website...so I wasn't sure if this would be considered a first production run razor or an officially packaged earlier produced version? The handle is absolutely perfect and doesn't have the iKon logo on the bottom portion like I assumed(I like the clean logo-less look)...the actual head is near perfect with a little bump on the bottom plate that disappears when the handle is screwed on, and a couple tiny, tiny nics on a couple open comb teeth...all marks are only noticeable upon close inspection and certainly have no effect on performance. I also cleaned the threads with a q-tip and some oil, afterwards the quirky feeling while screwing the handle on was alleviated completelyExclamation Frankly I enjoy every shave and wouldn't trade it for another...it has characterTongue

4 792
 11-17-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
This razor has quickly become one of my favorites as well; Greg did a great job!

3 315
 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM
User Info
Do you have mess around in order to make sure the blade exposure is even on both sides, like you do with a Progress or a FaTip? Or does it align dead nuts every time like a Tech, a NEW, or a Tradere?

Thanks in advance.

1 1,102
 11-18-2013, 11:35 AM
User Info
In my case, it hasn't been something that I've ever paid any attention to, on any razor. I feel lucky that my ignorance of this issue has probably saved me a lot of stress over the years.

24 1,150
 11-18-2013, 08:09 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I'm also not the best candidate for answering this question, due to the fact that I'm content with close but not perfect in many categories regarding shaving...but in short no, the blade does not align absolutely perfect, and it is similar in this respect to the Merkur Progress only the S.C.101 has slightly more precise tolerances...Again the issue with my personal answer to your ? is that these aforementioned razors are two of my favorites...they aren't absolutely perfect unless you take a little more time to precisely align their blades...I achieve excellent shaves from both the ikon and Progress...in the end I don't notice any uneven effect resulting from the minuet difference in blade exposure.

4 792